Freedom of will

Discussion in 'Wish Lists' started by Luiz De Boni, Jun 1, 2012.

1. darthgus

darthgus Registered

I was under the assumption that this was also planned to be automatic?

ie i should be able to come with a fresh install of rfactor 2, connect to a server and it downloads and installs everything for me - I shouldnt need to do anything outside of the game.

2. Slothman

Slothman Registered

LOL...

Gjon it was going to be a suggestion...but I thought....nahhhh....

I dont have a problem with end users taking some responsibility for their own install. BUT I also see the need to make it as simple as possible as well. That decision is one I dont envy you making.

a) Please the average user to give them some more control and responsibility keeping them happy.

b) Please the minimilistic user and encourage use by "consoler racers" to facilitate the move accross.....but that might upset group a.....

Not a choice I want to make :)

BTW...console racers was used as a term to highlight that console racers are plug and play to get the game working, nothing to do with ability or anything else.

3. Slothman

Slothman Registered

You can know as far as install from within the Rf2 UI...I think Gjon means...DO NOTHING. Auto install and download...no intervention required...at least thats how I read it :)

4. darthgus

darthgus Registered

Yea - I mean the server if it is able to be connected to MUST have all the rfmods that have the components that make up the vmod that the server is running - there should be no reason to not have full auto dload and install of whatever is required..

And is another reason why everything should be distributed at the component level :)

5. Gjon Camaj

Gjon Camaj Registered

I was referring to leagues that set up their own content.

6. Gjon Camaj

Gjon Camaj Registered

Actually the group I am more thinking about are people that are fans for motorsports but don't play games. They are willing to learn how to use a system but dont want to be computer experts. They should not have to know the difference between .7z and .msi
    I think getting more of these people into the community would benefit us all.

7. Slothman

Slothman Registered

Yeh fair call. I would still group them in b thought...minimilstic user...no real PC experience, just want to plug and play kind of thing.

8. Luc Devin

Luc Devin Registered

So we must move forward, we must know what the server runs as rotation, it will avoid to download if that does not interest us.
    Info bubble on the slopes of the server in rotation.

9. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

I like Gjon's idea, to allow connecting server even if you have no all tracks rotating - just current one.

10. osella

osella Registered

Nice, many thanks for the info.

11. osella

osella Registered

Btw sorry if this is stupid question but - when we use the ingame button for downloading stuff, where does this data come from? Will it be downloaded from whoever created the game? Because many, if not most people have poor upload rate.. if 10 people wanted to download from him, it could take 24hours to get a mod..

12. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

Gjon said that primary will be downloaded from dedicated server. But they are also working on adding additional external link.

13. Marek Lesniak

Marek Lesniak Car Team Staff Member

Then I'd like to twist your both arms (I'll be gentle though with the one you use more often ;-) ) to implement automatic vmod creation by dedicated server. That should complete the whole system and make it as easy as it is in rf 1

14. Gjon Camaj

Gjon Camaj Registered

Good point. First at some point we may have to release all of our content for any number of reasons. As a separate issue, I'm sure will create a repository like we did for files in rF1. I hope its a little more elegant than before, but the point will be if you need one our our tracks or cars, you will be able to get it.

15. jerrymcc

jerrymcc Registered

This, of course, is not true. I mod .sfx and "car" .cam files all the time, work perfectly online.

16. osella

osella Registered

^Same here. Maybe he thought we were talking about track camera files - but I believe even those don't mismatch.

17. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

i'm talking about car incockpit camera with enabled force cockpit view on server.
    when i modify this cam and enter the server, camera settings will back to what is loaded onserver just after next session change.

18. DJCruicky

DJCruicky Registered

I’m not keen on vMods myself but since we have to live with them, how about instead of 1 vMod, have 2? One vMod for the ID of the Cars and one vMod for the ID of the track or track pack.
    A server could host for example ‘RenaultMegane_vers_GTR’ vMod with ‘All_History_Tracks’ vMod.
    At a later date they could then use that same ‘All_History_Tracks’ vMod with a different car vMod for example ‘F1’.

My point is you would end up making less vMods in the long run, as they can be reused with other configurations. A plus, they would be half the size too.

Ps, I’m liking the idea of the HTTP download, keep that up.

19. Luc Devin

Luc Devin Registered

The download would be nice to the window where there is the file showing that they are missing. with clickable links if they are in red