Is b85 rf2 the best sim ever?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by F2Chump, Jun 1, 2012.

1. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Just to jump in, Tim mentioned in another thread that ISI have contacted Ati about driver improvements for RF2 just like Nvidia have done.
    Up to them now to do it of course

2. TonyRickard

TonyRickard Registered

Intersting, I have a single 6970 and can run rF2 comfortably at 5760x1080 with most things on including HDR with this build. I have to run pCars on a single screen to get playable fps and that is after a lot of tweaking.

3. jubuttib

jubuttib Registered

That is very interesting, because with my 6870 OC pCARS beats the current rF2 builds quite handily no matter what combinations I use. I get higher max fps with everything down, higher max fps with everything up, significantly higher max fps with pCARS set to about 3/4 full and rF2 to set to mostly medium, adding AI cars hardly affects the FPS in pCARS while it demolishes performance in rF2, etc. etc. And that's on a single screen, I can't get rF2 to run anywhere near smoothly with three screen, pCARS just needs toning down a bit from my single screen settings.

But I've heard similar things before, most people seem to have gotten vast performance upgrades with the updates, while I've gotten none. I'm sure the issues will be sorted out before release, just hopefully sooner rather than later. =)

4. TonyRickard

TonyRickard Registered

I find pCars a bit like driving through a liquid unless it can have around 70fps minimum and that precludes three screens. rF2 seem to run nicely with 40fps+. Whereas iRacing needs over a hundred fps (but achieves it easily with my hardware).

Now I can enable HDR rF2 is looking really good. From the cockpit I prefer the looks to pCars, replays not so much.

5. F2Chump

F2Chump Registered

rf2 also seems very sensitive to set up, so a bad set up=crashes, whereas some other sims are move forgiving, but will limit your times...

6. F2Chump

F2Chump Registered

true dat, it'll be interesting to see if consoles have lag, as Inside Sim Racing complained about console lag on the SMS Ferrari game, not realizing that SMS value GFX over the driving experience.

7. Dany Mitchel

Dany Mitchel Registered

I think we need to hold off for GTR3 before we say it is the best sim at least GTR3 will be as good as GTR2 with a DX11 engine
    giving us graphics as good as pCars and the handling of GTR2 /rFactor I did not understand why in the tear of 2012 ISI released a DX9 not even DX10 engine so it is a dated engine even before release shame do not get me wrong I enjoy driving rFactor2 I just fill a little let down by the graphics quality seen as this was released in 2012 as a beta I feel it is like Microsoft saying their next OS will be Windows 2000 I am sure it will be a great sim raced for years to come but will it hold the title of greatest sim ever No Not in my opinion the engine is to dated and the graphics need a face lift

8. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

The engine is dated???... Ughhhh it has the most or one of the most advanced tyre and overal physics model period, if you mean specifically the graphics engine then the fact it doesn't have dx11 doesn't mean ****. One of the best looking games of last year was called Hard Reset and was NOT dx11. Have you ever played Crysis 1 with mods? You can make it look almost photo realistic in DX9 mode

Also if GTR3 will be as good as GTR2 but with a dx11 graphics engine then why should we have to wait for it to come lol GTR2 was a joke compared to many proper mods in rfactor, netkar pro, even other mods made for gtr2. If you read the forums from 2006 to 2008 you would have read about all the crap in gtr2 that was dumbed down, simplified, etc etc not to the extent of console games though

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 4, 2012
  9. F2Chump

F2Chump Registered

When I say sim, I refer to the driving....nothing else, cause for me, if the sim part is sub par, then no matter what else they do, it's just a throwaway title.
    I have over a 1000hrs on GTR evo for example, but on pcars, I'll be lucky to knock up more than 30...

10. F2Chump

F2Chump Registered

That game don't exist, but b85 does...

11. Devon

Devon Registered

As pCars is not even a completed alpha yet, that judgment seems a little premature - they have come a huge distance in their builds even in the mere 2 months I have been subscribed. In 6 months their physics model and FFB could be outstanding.

And as to Crossfire having problems with other games, it's never been a problem for me, even on something as old as Unreal Tournament 3003. I use the latest drivers, and rF2 is the ONLY game I have not been able to get it working well on out of a dozen or so titles.

While for me rF2 performs so badly at present that I am going to get a refund, I wish ISI well and will try the demo once the game gets released - I am sure the physics will be there, and hope the graphics improvements will make it playable for me at that point.

12. E.Neytman

E.Neytman Registered

The answer is simple - NO. With the current level of graphics (it is as important as physics, because affects driving style) and a bit strange grip levels it needs a lot of development. The base is ok.

13. modmate

modmate Registered

Did you actually think about it before you post that?? Honestly, i like rf2 right now but it will take some serious time to get it to the top of the sims. And for sure that will be MORE then the mentioned 6 month beta program. I really disagree with your whole first post and you sound more like a fanboy then a honest simracer.

For those camparing RF2 with Pcars...Common, at the actual stage both "sims" got their pros and cons. RF2 got the better realism and FFB right now but loose on graphics against Pcars. But we should mention that Pcars is still a ALPHA and we all dont know what it will be like at the end. The best idea ever would be to get the DEVS from both together , then we will get a real sim with fantastic graphics.

Right now i i wouldnt prefer any of both, maybe a tic for rf2 cause of the better driving, but you all know graphics get more and more important these days and on the longrun rf2 maybe got a huge disadvantage against Pcars and also GTR3 for sure.

Greets

14. F2Chump

F2Chump Registered

So which is best?
    For me, the GTR is kaput at Estoril, otherwise most of the other cars are okay.

15. F2Chump

F2Chump Registered

Then which is the best and why....?.....anyone can type the word "no", but let's see you provide some details.
    For me at least, it's the FFB and especially the braking FFB which set it apart.

16. modmate

modmate Registered

There is no "best" to call, but a obvious complete unfinished product cannot be it. Maybe some good examples..
    Have you tried GSC on interlagos?
    Tried the 70 and 75 Nürburgring in GTR2 with some added FFB mods ?
    Have you played GT legends before?
    Anyway, with some mods added the good old known sims all are someway better and more stable then rf2. A round on SPA with the 60 F1 is sort of great but not on the long run.

If we all just believe words the best will be probably GTR3 with a reworked FFB, Car mechanic.... and yes a DX11 engine wich is maybe the biggest advantage to rf2. I know ...dont talk about graphics the driving needs to be great, but well..I DO talk about graphics also. We got 2012 and nearly everyone earns a HD screen therefore i would like to get the best quality and effects possible. And if the driving is a bit better then in GTR2 there is no way a DX9 engined game like rf2 will be on top of it!

17. F2Chump

F2Chump Registered

Yes, FFB advantage to rf2 over the Reiza F1 clone.
    Rf2 also feels like you have to drive every inch of the track.
    I don't worry about GFX or any other factor until the physics and FFB are in good order, and we have that atm with rf2, and IMO, the FFB is the best even though I have to limit it with G27.

18. TonyRickard

TonyRickard Registered

"Best" is always going to be subjective, based on our different measures. When it comes to organising drivers together for online racing aligned to a good driving experience and excellent tracks then iRacing has this pretty well sewn up IMHO. b85 is for me the "best" offline experience currently available right now and that is really important criteria for me.

The graphical improvements in this build help improve the immersive nature. Sure there is more to come but this is a positive step.

What pleases me most with rF2 is that I find the AI great fun to race with. Find that sweet spot in the difficulty slider and you can find yourself attacking and defending throughout the race. Meganes at Mid Ohio is a really immersive racing (and driving) experience and that is with over a decade experience of racing humans.

rF2 seems to have a really solid basis to work on here and we will have to see just how far the others have developed their AI.

19. Satangoss

Satangoss Registered

I'm afraid not, I just updated to 85 version...

20. buddhatree

buddhatree Registered

lol @ pCARS is alpha ;) :rolleyes: