Curious, Watkins Glen

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Cancrizans, Jun 1, 2012.

1. Cancrizans

Cancrizans Registered

Hey all, I am just curious if there has ever been a version of the original Watkins Glen street course released for any semi modern racing sim...or tbh anything that would run on a modern computer. I am talking about this one:

http://www.grandprixfestival.com/map.html

I realize this is probably more suited to the late 40s/early 50s cars that actually ran there, but I always thought it would be a cool track to check out, and I'm not aware of any version that is available. If anyone has any info about this or interest in this track would be glad for your thoughts.

2. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Wadkins glen is one of my favourite tracks in iracing it's a classic, would be good to know if any good modders out there working on it or even ISI themselves ( I have seen one vid of WIP from a modder but it looked very poor or maybe just in its early stages )

3. Ricknau

Ricknau Registered

Years ago someone made a version of it for GPL.

4. Ryno917

Ryno917 Registered

Was the GPL version any good? The roads are fan-bloody-tastic to drive on (been there twice) and I'd love to drive it in a sim. A 60s variant of the race track would be nice, too. ;)

5. jjcook

jjcook Registered

GPL came stock with the 60's variant- this older version was also made and available for gpl- go try it out - you can do that for free by getting the demo for gpl and updating it- the old version was very difficult for me and not well suited to a fast car- narrow, bumpy and very dangerous

6. Cancrizans

Cancrizans Registered

Awesome I still have GPL installed, I'll definitely check it out! Looking at the map there were actually 4 types of pavement including dirt lol...that must have been a crazy ride. :p Thanks a lot for the info all!

7. Ricknau

Ricknau Registered

As i recall there were even railroad tracks to be driven over.

8. Mauro

Mauro Registered

watkins glen for GPL, great track!

(i wish in a rF2 version)

9. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

What a track! What a cockpit!
    Wish ISI were taking as much care in cockpits as GPLEA did! (especially gear levers who look awfull atm)

10. jjcook

jjcook Registered

I was wondering why my hand never left the wheel in rf2 when i change gear- hopefully the gear change animation will be added- i also agree the current cockpits are a little lack luster compared to the high res of the gplea ones. the gauges looked real good in those- well rf2 60's is only v1- theres hope and room for improvements- soon maybe....

11. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

there wasnt much caring for cockpits in rf1, I hope rf2 will change this but not yet.
    Cockpit textures in Spark F3 look...well, last minute additions.
    Even the modders in rf1 didnt care much with a few exeptions imho (enduracers was one of them and one of the latest mods was a fantastic BMW M1 cockpit).
    I was expecting very different approach from the start in rf2 :(

12. Cancrizans

Cancrizans Registered

Yes I agree 100% on the cockpits, they need work. At the risk of mentioning a game people don't seem fond of around here(and tbh I'm not really huge on it except for perhaps the graphics) I would love to see RF2's cockpits even approach the ones in Pcars, they are very detailed, the driver arm animations are superb, but perhaps most importantly for immersion purposes, they simulate the vibrations in the car's body and mirrors from engine and road vibrations, it really adds to the experience IMO.

The RF2 cars seem to be much more static in the visual depiction of the car's relation to these forces.

13. Cancrizans

Cancrizans Registered

14. Cancrizans

Cancrizans Registered

Actually it kind of surprises me that no one ever did a port of this to Rfactor, as I've played quite a few GPL ports to Rfactor that, though they weren't top notch graphics wise, they were a lot of fun to drive. And this is definitely a fun and unique course. :)

15. Ryno917

Ryno917 Registered

Was the whole thing ever paved before the purpose-built circuit was constructed? If the street circuit was ever used as an all paved road I'd want that version for sure! Some of those roads are just phenomenal!

Thanks for the video! Detail of most of the circuit isn't quite up to par, but once I get GPL reinstalled I might have to go on a hunt for this one ;)

Yep, I'm quite familiar with GPL and its tasty vintage offerings, I just didn't know the original street circuit was ever made for it. :)

16. Cancrizans

Cancrizans Registered

The GPL version in the above video actually does seem to have four different surfaces, including a dirt area. The dirt area is mostly made up of straights and long sweepers, I messed with the track a little and it kind of adds to the fun. Some people might not want to race this kind of thing with 60s cars(though I think it would be a ton of fun, especially in something like the F3s) but it would make a nice circuit for rally cars at the very least, and we all know RF2 is going to end up with some rally mods! :D

17. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

Rally mods in rf1 compared with RBR were close to nightmare imho.

18. Cancrizans

Cancrizans Registered

Ya...you wouldn't pick them as a realistic interpretation of rallying, but a lot of the cars were fun(particularly that retro rally mod forget the name) and a lot of the tracks were pretty cool as well. Some mods you play because they are realistic and immersive, some just because they are good for some fun times with friends or when you just want to throw a car all over a dirt road and see what happens. :D

19. DavidG

DavidG Registered

Seriously, you guys like that Lotus cockpit!? I always thought it was one of the poorer GPL interiors. This one though...

Attached Files:

20. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

Both of them are... (more than) 10 years old? Beat that!