MultiView question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by HKF0x, May 30, 2012.

1. HKF0x

HKF0x Registered

I was wondering if an option for select the angle of the side monitors will eventually be added.
    For now it's a bit hard to target the apex with the screen distortion.

[​IMG]

Blue line is where the barier and the blue wall should be and the red line is the angle they made for now.
    Maybe a line in the player.plr exist but i dont find it.

2. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Hiya you need to ajust so your seat is forward more & much less FOV it look like your standing right behind the car, trying to achieve a 360 degree view is a common mistake -you will see a bit more at the sides but you lose sooooooo much imersion & realism

judging by your steering wheel try a FOV of 29 -this setting will help you judge distances/corner etc
    Speed flow will be truer to real world too.

29 is the same as mine as my wheel is positioned in the same place, also try it with the multi view button unselected, reducing the resolution actually helps get everything correct too

Good luck

My setup ( shows my fov in 1st few seconds -pause it to take a look ) :

Last edited by a moderator: May 30, 2012
  3. metalnwood

metalnwood Registered

Agreed, it is too wide a FOV and that is probably why you miss the apex, not the distortion.

On the other hand if you have just made it wide to emphasize the effect then you are correct you need the software to adjust for the angle of your monitor. I would like that as well as I have 3x42" monitors and have nearly 180deg real fov so I need to have it that wide but would also like the scenes across monitors to line up.

the only other way is that you change the angle of your monitors until is looks OK based on how the game is rendering. Thats not much chop most of the time.

4. HKF0x

HKF0x Registered

Hey guys, i dont drive like that lol, i was too focused on side monitor and dont even noticied my seat posisiton. :D

I tryed 29 fov but i dont feel confortable with that fov, from where i m seated the car look to wide and not long enough, the whole scene is too zoomed, wall in front is too close ect.
    [​IMG]

Cockpit of real F1 are not so large :
    [​IMG]

I feel more "in the car" with 38 - 39fov, but the problem is that angle on top of the wall between the right and the center monitor.
    [​IMG]

So, or i use multiview and i have to deal with that angle at all corners, or i dont use it and side monitors are very stretched..
    That why i would like to know if something is planed in the futur considering that issue, even a line in the plr whould be nice.
    Other sims do it, so i think it s possible. :confused:

5. Ricknau

Ricknau Registered

I too have been working to find the best setting for my 3 monitor setup. The breaking of the desired straight line (the kink in the red line) is because the height of the camera taking the picture is above the horizontal center line of the monitor screen. It is caused because the side monitors are angled and when you raise your point of view above that horizontal mid point the angle becomes increasingly evident.

Another way to envision this is the look at the bottom edge of the monitors themselves. If you lowered your head (or the camera) until your eyes are at the height of the bottom edge of the monitors then you would not see any angle. You can only perceive the angle as you rise up. And the higher you rise the more exagerated the angle comes until (at some great height) the angle comes the actual angle that the monitors are turned in at.

6. Ricknau

Ricknau Registered

Sorry HKFOx but have to agree with Adrianstealth, you need no more that 29 degrees (I use 25) to get a more natural look. What you perceive as too zoomed is just because you are not used to it. I would predict your judgement would change after a day or two of using that setting. Looking at the bottom picture in your post, the perspective of the wall in the right monitor is too extreme. The farthest point (at the extreme right hand edge of the screen) is a point on the wall that is way beyond the 45 degree look angle your monitor is positioned to show.

Here's a fact. If you want your 3 screens to take in more than roughly +/- 45 degrees your perspective will be unnatural. You will have more peripheral vision, which you may prefer for situational awareness, but the perspective will be wrong. You cant have both. I prefer a natural view. It still leaves me a significant peripheral view, not real radical but enough.

Here's what mine looks like. Note that my camera (and my eyes when racing) was not above the horizantal center line. :) Man, my station is a mess!

View attachment 2641

Last edited by a moderator: May 31, 2012
  7. metalnwood

metalnwood Registered

Hi Rick, it is not always the case. For it to all work correctly it requires more than the correct FOV. An incorrect FOV can certainly screw things around and the OP can get a better perspective by changing his FOV.

I have attached a pic as well because it demonstrates why the OP is correct in what he is saying - even though his FOV may be to wide.

I did it a while ago so I dont remember what the FOV is set up for on mine but is was correct for my sitting position and the height of my 42 monitors. You can clearly see the right wall go off at the wrong angle for my setup. My phone doesnt go wide enough to capture all screens but you get the idea.

Now, if there was support for the user to enter the angle of their monitors then it would work fine. Its perfect in iracing because of this. There have been a number of threads about it on this forum already.

It really is more than just FOV. Certainly narrowing your FOV will mask the issue but my FOV is correct for my large monitors and the problem is very apparent.

BTW my monitors are at nearly 60 degrees so that I am looking directly at them when I turn my head towards them.
    View attachment 2642

8. Alric

Alric Registered

Been following this thread and spent last night messing about with FOV and multiview on my triple 40" monitors. It took me about 3 restarts of rf2 to get multiview to work for a start (very strange). I too had been using a very wide FOV which is good for including more of the interior of the car and wheel but wrong in terms of side monitor angles. I went down to 29 degrees and at first it seemed far too zoomed in but after a bit of use it does seem pretty good and the angles are better. Speed perception does seem a bit out though, flat out down the straight and the car is bouncing all over but the sensation of speed seems like I'm doing 80mph not 165mph. Saying that though I think I could get used to this setting so will keep it for now. Moving the seat position does help as well but it's hard to find a position I'm comfortable with. At the moment I have 29 FOV but the seat position fully back so I can see more of the steering wheel.

BUT. I still think that there needs to be some settings for the angle of the side monitors like there is on iRacing. I had a quick mess around on iRacing and it does make the world of difference. They have settings for the size of the monitors, your distance from the monitors and the angle of the side monitors. This NEEDS to be implemented into rf2 to get triple screen users the perfect angles and experience. Does someone want to start a thread in bugs/problems or do you think ISI staff will read this thread ok here?

9. metalnwood

metalnwood Registered

Hi Alric, it has been discussed and compared to iracing in other threads. I am sure the guys know so it's just a matter of waiting to see what we get in the final product.

10. Ricknau

Ricknau Registered

I missed the OPs point on wanting adjustable angles. I agree that would be nice. But i hope he heeds some of the advice here and gives a smaller fov a try.

BTW, holy cow!! 40" and 42" triple monitors? Man you guys are killing me!

11. Bart S

Bart S Member

post #4 looks pretty much perfect to me, give it a week you will appreciate it by then. The thing about a narrow FOV that is true to perspective makes you alot more technical with your driving, the slower speed and the focus you have on the road ahead helps your brain negotiate your cars attitude on the track. It helps you memorise easier the brake marker points and enables you to correct the cars direction under braking force.

12. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

the FOV settings need to be correct for everthing outside the car imo

think there is an imbalance between the cockpit and the outside world, ie get the outside world right & the cockpit is incorrect (to wide ), an f1 cockpit is very tight ( I only sat in a real F1 car yesterday can you believe ),

if your steering wheel is close to the monitor then your eyes are maybe 29 to 33" away then ( on a 27" screen ) then FOV 28 to 32 is about correct, yes the car seems to wide at this FOV, i assume it could be the developers taking into account that most users will put a wider FOV than what is correct ??

be careful of looking at photos on the net, these could be resized & FOV will look diferent depending on which lens in the camera that took the picture etc

think most people make the mistake (including myself once) of having a high FOV -just to try & squeeze that extra bit of view at the sides -the speed distortion / distorted calculation distances really dosnt make it worth it

when its correct everything looks more natural, once used to it a driving sim is so much more enjoyable especially when close up behind other cars

the correct resolution dimensions make a diference too ( & is subject to the dimensions of your monitor), it is worth sitting down for a few hours and getting everything just right, dont be tempted just to set the resolution at the highest setting or the highest your pc can run it at, usually best to bring the horizontal dimension down ( Im at 4420 x 900 -although I'd like 4420 x 1080 as it would be even closer but Nvidia settings will not allow to create it as a custom res )-: )

Ill try and do a better video in 2d showing full 3 screens in action so hopefully give a better understanfding of my points

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2012
  13. hoser70

hoser70 Registered

That isn't even close to how it looks when you actually sit in the cockpit. That's a bigtime wide angle shot, probably 170 degrees or more.

14. HKF0x

HKF0x Registered

Hi,
    @Adrianstealth, metalnwood, Ricknau, Bart S
    guys, i know i could try to adapt myself to the defaut setting, lower the FOV at maximum to try hide the lateral déformation, force myself to drive one week or two like that and prey for become used to it lol

But really, we shouldn't have to do that in the first place to enjoy the sim.

Since almost all our setup are homemade, they are all different. different screens size, different résolutions, different lateral screen angles, different distance fromt the wheel to the screens, different distance from driver to the wheel ect..

So you just cant make the view match all these setup with only FOV setting .
    Look at live for speed for exemple, multi screens support is nicely implemented and allow a very wide range of sim rigs to make the view match perfectly their screens configuration.

No need concession or adaptation, everybody is able to fine tweak the view to his taste and make it right for his setup, you can download the demo of LFS and try it.

This one is on overlay so you can adjust your view while driving, but i dont think it's still possible to add something like that, at this advanced level of developement.
    So just some lines in the .plr would be already a nice addition.

@Alric
    Yea i have the same problem, with 29 fov i cant put the seat back enough.

Some other treads was made while ago, but we never heard anything from ISI on the subject.
    So for now we have to wait and hope they have something planed on the list.

I know, this pic was for show how the f1 drivers are tight in their cockpits,
    when with 29FOV the cockpit look way more large than long :p

15. BlaringFiddle5

BlaringFiddle5 Registered

I'm thinking just some horizontal FOV adjustment in addition to vertical is all that is needed... Here is shot of iRacing's setup screen for multi-view:

[​IMG]

All the monitor width and angle stuff does is help you compute the FOV while driving. There is some behind the scenes with the monitor angle as it computes the angle of the image shown on each screen. Each screen is rendered separately (via setting shown there) so they can show the view on each side monitor at an angle. Is it to late for rFactor2 to implement such a thing?

I plan to just adjust the angle of my monitors so that rfactor2 looks correct. I will then adjust the iRacing settings so that stuff is correct there as well. It was neat that I could adjust iRacing without moving my monitors - but i'll make due :) Perhaps by release, there will be some settings available in rFactor2?