Help with exporting my tracks (old RF1 track)

Discussion in 'Track Modding' started by Mike Cantwell, May 30, 2012.

1. Mike Cantwell

Mike Cantwell Registered

Hi guys,

I have built a few tracks for RF1, Lakeside Park and Queensland Raceway are the ones in question.

I have all the original 3D Max files saved. Can someone please point me to, advise etc etc what I need to do in order to get a basic track and grass in game? All I want to do is export the track gmt and the terrain gmts (4 of them) with a very basic T1 texture to start with.

I realise that this has been asked, but I am old (haha) and would like some tips.

I have asked permission to go to these tracks again and take photos ( I live in Brisbane Australia) and I want to do a modern version of Lakeside and a 60's version of Lakeside to go with the 60's F1 cars. Lakeside Raceway was used in 1966 and 1969 for the F1 Australian GP.

Any help would be appreciated.

Mike :)

2. freew67

freew67 Registered

How I first got a track in game...

1. Copy/paste Joesville folder in Devmode
    2. Rename all folders and files to new track. Just like RF1 go in to gdb and scn and rename everything to the new track. If it doesnt say Joesville, dont rename it. If you use notepad, just hit CTRL + H find Joesville replace with whatever. Makes your life a tic easier when just trying to get it loaded for the first time.
    3. Open your max file with rf1 plugins and make sure all of your textures are set to dx9. IE if you checked a dx8 setting on a tex, when you open the max file with rf2 plugins it will use that setting (I think unless that has changed or my max was on the fritz).
    4. Save file
    5. Close max and swap over to rf2 plugins (few switcheroo batch files out there to do that)
    6. Open max file and I suggest save the file as a dif name. Will same some headache if you fubar your orig rf1 max file.
    7. At this point, your basically exactly the same as rf1. Select your gmts and export them to the correct folder. All your doing is trying to get some basic gmts in game, so there really isnt any need to mess about with all 4000 new settings.
    8. I have really only made ovals so the Joesville aiw file works for me. It wouldnt hurt to still try it out to just see if the track loads.

I havent done this in a while so sorry if I missed a step. Im sure someone will step in and fill in the gap. I think the first time I got the plugins it only took me 30-40 mins to get a track in game. Flashqld and I had a race. He lost! Yeah Flash you lost dont deny it. Once I knew what to do, 20 mins at most. This was basic rf1 track in rf2. Since your tracks are already in max, thats half the battle. It will say Lakeside but just have Joesvilles loading screen.

3. Mike Cantwell

Mike Cantwell Registered

Thank you so much. I will start a new WIP thread soon.

Mike :)

4. Tobi Coats

Tobi Coats Registered

Free your so cruel to flash lol it must be a Yanks are better then Aussies thing lol. Can't wait for your tracks Mike you really have done some fantastic work on those tracks