CHECK THIS OUT!! Future RF2 addition ??

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mitt Wilson, May 29, 2012.

1. Mitt Wilson

Mitt Wilson Registered

2. relentless

relentless Registered

That does look pretty amazing.

3. Alric

Alric Registered

Wow!! That is awesome! Yes, very nice to imagine that in rf2..... also makes me want to live forever, imagine a racing sim in 50 years or so........ anyway back to 2012 and rf2 has made me happy enough for now :)

4. jubuttib

jubuttib Registered

It is great to see the Rigs of Rods guys making a name for themselves. A good thing about that system is that it's already modding compatible, so would be perfect for games like rf2. The CryEngine3 part of the equation however isn't. =)

5. jubuttib

jubuttib Registered

I think we'll get pretty close to peaking (for all intents and purposes, it definitely is a diminishing returns system) before 50 years. Just look how much progress happened between IndyCar Racing and rFactor, and there's only about 10 years between them. Then see how much has happened between rFactor and modern games wrt. the physics like we get in rF2 and graphics in stuff like pCARS. We won't need 50 years. =)

6. bastins

bastins Registered

That's some amazing stuff.

And I don't want to belittle what ISI has already done, but to be honest, I'd much rather see effort put into a damage model like this, rather than the new "squishy tire" stuff that they've been doing.

7. navorsky

navorsky Registered

I would gladly pay 50$ to play with that truck and a very very simple track builder. It would entertain me for weeks. x)))

8. jubuttib

jubuttib Registered

You can get Rigs of Rods for free you know. Same basic soft body tech (done by the same people) and highly moddable. =)

9. MarkusK

MarkusK Registered

Amazing guys!!!
    What would we have to pay to make you ISI Staff work on implementing this to rF2 after official release?! :rolleyes:

REALLY AMAZING!!! Makes me happy to imagine driving on the bumpy Nürburgring Nordschleife and may crashing somewhere there in the far future (may as I am a 70 year old man in 2060 :p ) :eek: :eek:

10. ProTraX

ProTraX Registered

That would be the best Racing game EVER if they bring us this Engine!!!!!!!

11. ZeosPantera

ZeosPantera Registered

It is essentially rigs of rods imported to Crysis. Let us hope someone puts a serious effort in making this work.. No FFB in rigs of rods made it useless. Plus the control setup was pretty bad.

12. jubuttib

jubuttib Registered

There is FFB in RoR, most cars just don't really have steering linkages so they don't generate power. You can often raise the FFB from 400% to like 1600% and get it working in most cars, and some mods have realistic steering linkages that have proper FFB.

The control setup was incredibly horrible, but the whole thing is just a technology demo, not a real game in any sense. =)

13. Johannes Rojola

Johannes Rojola Registered

That thing just killed driving games, wow.

14. Fritzisbro

Fritzisbro Registered

Could you feesably Build a decent rally game with this engine...Now that would be cool.

15. RafBR

RafBR Registered

Well, this is great stuff indeed. It could/should be added to the simulation and mostly if we had dirt rally racing. Thats because when you hit a big bump (big enough to cause a big damage to your car) it is normal to see the car flying thru the air almost reaching the clouds (codemasters dirt or even rF2 as well). If the simulation have the ability to deform and absorb the impact it would not happen.

But it have nothing to do with what makes rf2 so great. Remember that this truck in the video doesnt have the new tire model!
    If I could choose to have both, then of course! But I dont know how hard would be to do it nowadays.

16. Satangoss

Satangoss Registered

I can't imagine how NASA mainframes would be necessary to calculate a crash like this using this physics.

http://youtu.be/qOMZLPefl9c

Very nice video, though.

17. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

As great as this is, you have to ask yourself if it really benefits a racing game in the long run. Not to say that it's not worth or not nice to have in rf2 aswell.

Like all games, they are modular. So if ISI at some point want to add this engine to the damage model, they could very well do so. But priorities first will ofc be to getting the sim finished before updating it with these "pretty" extra's.

18. Mitt Wilson

Mitt Wilson Registered

I agree their are priorities, but I wouldn't put this as a "pretty" visual, cause if built right it could hold way more potential than a visual effect!

19. [NAR]Steve

[NAR]Steve Registered

I don't know if any of you ever played NASCAR Heat, but the cars would get very smashed up in that game. Dents, bent wheels, the whole 9 yards...

20. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

What potential's might you suggest?

Here is my more in-depth opinion on the matter:

rFactor is a racing simulator and designed with the intent of being focused on simulating the racing realism and experience. Even though visually complex damage is indeed more realistic it holds less value to serious sim racing because the amount of visual and physic-affected damage that is currently available in rf2 at the moment is in my opinion more than sufficient. In real-life when your car sustains even only moderate damage that affects the performance and handling you would likely either nurse the car back to the pits for a repair (if possible) or retire the car in real life for obvious reasons. Catastrophic damage as seen in this video would result in possibly an injured or dead driver. A racing simulator is designed to simulate racing and emphasis on getting the most important features that achieve its goal must be given the leading priority. A racing simulator is not trying to achieve absolute simulation such as a life-for-like sandbox where everything in the real world is simulated in the virtual. That is why i called it "pretty" as i think it holds less relevance to the purpose of a racing simulation and is therefore more of a visual bonus.

Racing arcade based games are perhaps the perfect customers of such a physics engine where it's more eye-candy that sells their product than focusing on aspect that yield more realistic car handling and performance on a race track because their target audience is to the casual gamer/racer. Ofc, having said all this, i would love it if ISI updated their engine to have this added bonus on visual and on physics if deemed worth it and if it actually adds real value. However what i would really like to see more than that first of all is an update to the graphics engine. I think rF2 achieves what it's set out to do very well and more so than the likes of P-Cars in my opinion (yes yes i know it's only an alpha but i'm not holding my breath based on their track record for more arcadey based racing games) however it would still be nice if it looked as good as the graphics of P-Cars (which really are most impressive). But as a man who historically favors good graphics over good gameplay (tho ofc gameplay is still very important), rF2 simply wow's me each time i play it because the graphics are made so less relevant by the brilliance of its driving model/physics/gameplay. It's just so damned immersive and resultantly more fun than could possibly be expected to be if someone were to make preconceived judgements based on screenshots and videos! It's a shame really because if the graphics were better i think it could possibly gain a good proportion of extra customers.

Some people are saying that they'd rather have this type of physics over the tyre physics model. But i can't understand how the very thing (tyre model) that is going to simulate how the car is going to realistically react to a road surface is less important than a destruction derby type beneficial physics engine.

Last edited by a moderator: May 30, 2012