Trouble with the 85 update.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Navigator, May 28, 2012.

1. RRA-MArk

RRA-MArk Registered

I may be in the minority, but I find the current method less of a nightmare than dealing with a variety of homemade installers made by modders who don't necessarily worry about what their installer may do to anothers mod.
    Personally, I like the functionalty and the "drop it in a folder" and run in-game approach.
    We have always had to update mods "individually" so I don't quite get that being an issue. At least they will all install in the same manner from now on versus unzipping folders into the game, "stand-alone", mods, etc.

2. MarcG

MarcG Registered

uuummm thats gonna happen so you better get used to it, and not 30...when the community get going theres likely to be Hundreds of Mods and loads of them will probably have updates or expansions down the line. The ease of use to update mods right now is a great way of doing it.....and theres updates to tracks as well ;)

3. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Guys, as I said yesterday; the problem is solved.
    Some say that it is the "curse" of updating from 69 to 85, but I actually did a fresh install.
    I have to explain some things; I was working round the clock almost for more than 7 days for my teachers education and yesterday, I was done. Now all I wanted to do, after working days till 5, working from 5:30 till 3:30 am and hearing the alarm clock at 6:00 am, was install this game and DRIVE!

As I said; I'm not a total nOOb, I'm working with RF1 and lots of race games for years (GP 2 started when it just came out) and know a bit of installing but I'm not "into the scene" as some of you guys.
    I think it's strange that there is so much resistance to my topic when I have a problem and got a bit irritated with the game/update, guys giving weird answers and giving me negative points.

True; I was irritated, but it was late here (around 11:30 I think) and I really didn't think much of the star in front of some mods.......I should have, I admit that. But right clicking on it again.......I never thought of that!
    That, and just that.....made my game not working.....hopefully you can understand that I was tired, wanted to race and try out the new update so badly and came across just a little thing that made a lot of difference; playing or not playing.
    Then I asked myself; why not describe something like that clear somewhere? Somewhere everyone can find it easily?

I don't want to get into a fight here, I don't want to piss people off here and maybe I should have read better, but be honest; how many threats are here? You're not going to search a 1000 topics before installing; you just read the topics from the maker and pray that you can drive, right?

For those of you that hate me for this right now (seeing my points, there must be a few) just ask yourself how you would react in that situation (and I really hope you were never and never will get in that sort of mega stress situation for your job and education) and if you would be a bit irritated.

But just for those guys; if you really hate me that much; just keep giving me negative points (with no feedback.....pfff) and I will be banned; problem solved!
    I really don't care anymore; love the game, but if this is the community and we "help out" each other; then I don't want the be part of this anymore.
    Never done anything stupid?
    Well; I DID!

Last edited by a moderator: May 29, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  4. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

The thing is, this is not a finished game, it is a beta. If you just wan to fire up a game and drive, you should really get a finished game and wait for this one to go gold. I'm not trashing you or anything, but betas are a PITA because they are (by definition of beta in gaming terms) an unfinished product.

5. GaryL

GaryL Registered

I've been sitting on the 85full installer i got on the night of its release, its all coincided with a nice fresh install of Win7 which is all good and stable and of course...clean!, so i decided to try out this latest update and just installed no problems and fired it up and logged in to my account, the online section is highlighted a clickable to play, but when i do it says "Simulation may be pending purchase or missing license file", when i click OK on that message box the next message is "rFactor has stopped working".....how could i have gotten this so wrong? :confused:.

6. FOG>Daheee

FOG>Daheee Registered

Sorry but i was a great rfactor fan. I played the sim to death. This way of updating the sim with a torrent file is a bloody joke. ISI you have lost your core values and totaly lost the plot. You have an update option in the sim then use it FGS! We have waited for years for a new Rfactor and this is what you give us? What the hell have you been doing since 2005?
    You guys have lost my money for the future along with the rest of my Team. I so wish I could get a refund however that time has come and gone.

Last edited by a moderator: May 30, 2012
  7. jubuttib

jubuttib Registered

The update feature in the game had some problems so was turned off until it could be fixed. A updates to a development version of the game won't have the same focus towards ease of use as you'd expect from a final product.

All of what you said would be totally valid if the product were a final, general release version. However with development versions this kind of release system is par for the course, and actually one of the better ones I've seen. At least we're not stuck with downloading a bunch of loose files and having to place them in the folders manually.

Sorry to see you and your team go though.

8. F2Chump

F2Chump Registered

My friend, make the effort to install this b85....I have nearly every sim on the market and I'm thinking this must surely be the best, and that's just the base content.

9. buddhatree

buddhatree Registered

When you do a fresh install of your OS, you need to save the .rfactor folder in appdata/roaming. <-- That folder contains your activation information. The folder in My Documents only has your profile. Not your activation.

If you didn't save that folder, you have to re-activate.

Once you're activated, save that folder some place safe! :D You won't have to re-activate unless you do a major hardware upgrade (cpu/mobo).

10. F2Chump

F2Chump Registered

Nice post budd....I also had to active the "show hidden folders" option as well, and once that was done, appdata was available to me.

11. Navigator

Navigator Registered

@ Guy Moulton,
    You are right, should have taken RF1 for that, but you know how it is right? Been longing for RF2 for years, been longing for every update, update came when I really had no second to spare and finally, I got some free time on my hands and just wanted to play just this :)
    Then it was a bit frustrating to get stuck on such a small thing and even though it is a beta, that could have been put somewhere where everyone (guys new to the game too) can find it easily. But that's just my opinion of course.

But again; you're absolutely right. But I just couldn't wait anymore :)

12. TonyD

TonyD Registered

Certainly agree with that. I haven't re-activated rF on my new build because of this, or run any of my other racing sims since either.

buddhatree: thanks for that, that's useful info :)

13. F2Chump

F2Chump Registered

All the other sims are dead to me now.