Overall car handling feels distinctly different...

Discussion in 'Technical Archives' started by DrR1pper, May 27, 2012.

1. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

Overall car handling feels distinctly different than the previous build 69.

Is it just me or does anyone else also feel a difference in the cars handling? Though this is ofc going to be subjective to some degree, i can't help but feel fairly certain that the car has in someway altered grip characteristics or altered dynamic balance which results in the car's handling feeling at odds.

Whether that the above case is true or only in my mind (i have no problem if the latter is true but would just like a confirmation), one thing i know for sure that is different is the ffb. From the moment i left the pit in the 1960's f3 the feeling of increased natural stiffness in the ffb was immediately noticeable. This has also been confirmed by others i have asked. The ffb is also giving less or reduced dynamic feedback too and it's harder to notice when the rear end is going to swing out and when the car is about to loose grip and slide. I can't quite put my finger on it but something just doesn't feel right. The only way to reduce the wheel's stiffness is to reduce the in-game ffb but then diminish the cars already lacking feedback further more.

2. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

Ok, please ignore this thread and i apologize unconditionally! I find the fix/culprit and here's how it went...

After installing another copy of the rf2 (but this time Build 69) and having a go at it, i immediately had the old feeling of control and response that i had complained was lacking of in Build 85. I could once again rock the wheel from side to side and immediately anticipate when to counter-steer to not spin out and it was easy as chips. The sort of easy as chips that takes no mental effort and just feels natural when your drive and the car is providing you with instantaneous feedback. I could once again drive flat out through the chicane at Monaco in the f3.

So i went back to my Build 85 installation and tried Monaco again and straight away that totally insufficient feeling of response from the car returned as i threw it around and no matter how much i tried to save the car, it would just keep spinning out. So i did a few laps for good measure as well and took myself out pretty much every time i flat footed it at the chicane. Even when i tried my hardest to remain stable on fast corners it took so much effort to not spin or power-oversteer (which was completely manageable and predictable before).

After browsing through the directors, i came to the rFactor 2 > UserData > Controller directory and compared what was in the folder of the build 69 and build 85 installation directories.

What i found was that the build 85 had a file called "g25.ini" present which i totally forgot about. It was passed on to me by a friend in an attempt to try and remove the rattling problem of my g25 (not that i minded too much though as I've gotten so used to it by now....but not saying it would be nice if the devs can fix this please). I had installed this file only moments before i had installed the new build update.

After removing the file, the ffb is now back to normal again and again all is well.

moral of the story: Don't jump to conclusions and only change things one at a time or you can make stupid mistakes like i did! :p

Last edited by a moderator: May 28, 2012
  3. theother5

theother5 Registered

thanks, similar worries for me post build 85 install ....your explanation has helped me out. :D

4. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

so you are saying that by removing this file you came back to normal?
    Im certain ffb is stiffer in 85.
    I like CenterSpring enabled, I had it at 20% at Monaco and just after 85 I took it to 10%.
    Same thing in Spa, from 40% to 30%.

5. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

I have only Overall Strength set to 100% and the rest set to 0.

I especially set my spring centering to zero because it feels most realistic to me. The ffb gives me all the centering force i need when my car is in motion. It acts most realistically without any centering because when the car is stationary and I turn the wheel in any direction by any amount and then let go of the wheel it does not return to center. Unless i put the car in motion and then the wheel away from center (i.e. turning), the inertia force causes the wheel to counter-steer as it tries to return the wheel to the center and tries to straighten the car out. I think the artificial spring centering can negatively effect my interpretation of the counter-steer from the ffb, which can lead to problems to do with feeling if the car is stable/balance, especially (but not exclusively) during turns.

I could have sworn it was stiffer in 85 as well but after reinstalling 69, to my surprise it felt identical to 85. I'm not really sure how that was so because i really could have sworn it was different too and even now feel from memory that it was less stiff in build 69. I just really don't know anymore and can only trust what i've experienced in my test. Perhaps you should install a (separate) copy of rF2 build 69 and see for yourself. It will at the very least hopefully give you some degree of peace-of-mind.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2012