HTTP Download Questions.....

Discussion in 'Hosting Help' started by Slothman, May 27, 2012.

1. Slothman

Slothman Registered

ISI...being one of your more VOCAL and concerned critics :) around the MODID system I am very pleased to see work done on the practicality of using the system.

Just some questions

- Can you use the new HTTP system for downloading content to point to a different address for the downloads? For example, let say we use a server with address A for hosting the races, this does not allow large bandwidth or storage so we use address B for hosting our files etc. Can we setup the HTTP to point to a different address? If not are there plans to do so?

- VMOD download, is that slated for inclusion like the content download?

Just curious here. I can make the HTTP information at a server level work, and possibly the content download but those small suggestions above........perfect :)

2. Gjon Camaj

Gjon Camaj Registered

The system is being tested with small and direct downloads, server to client. The server decides if it wants to participate and at what maximum size files. Future upgrades include the http redirect you are suggesting. I'm sure you can tell where we are heading with this.

It works the same for VMODs, whether its a complete virtual mod like in the example video or partial.

3. Slothman

Slothman Registered

Yeh...I got a pretty good idea a few weeks back when some guys showed me a few things. I just wanted to see the direction.

This update shows a few things that will help make the system practical and far more simplistic for server admins to distribute content than previoulsy in rF1.

Will be playing with this over the week...was away last week :)

Thanks again Gjon....

4. GauchoRS

GauchoRS Registered

I tried the feature of download a VMOD. My friend saw the "Get it" button and download started, but never finished. No error message appeard. The VMOD "GTWEC vs Megane at Searspoint 1.35" has only 1.1 MB.

Gijon, in your post above I found this: "The server decides if it wants to participate and at what maximum size files."
    Are there any options in Dedicated Server frontend?
    Are there any ports to be opend - different from ports for hosting a game, which I already opened?

5. Slothman

Slothman Registered

Ohh good questions.

There are the options in the Multiplayer.ini but I will be testing this on the weekend at a LAN first :) Easier to sort problems :)

6. Gjon Camaj

Gjon Camaj Registered

There is no real error reporting yet. HTTP Server options in the multiplayer.ini file, default is 50Mb so your file should have worked.

7. Slothman

Slothman Registered

Gjon.

More of a suggestion than a question.

From the other thread it is apparent there is a concern for downloading content contained in a Content based mod that might mean redownloading content I already have.

Is it possible to create a pop up box after "get it" button is pressed for a user to tick the items they require?? Or just get what they dont already have installed??

Will save bandwidth and time...just a thought.

8. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

I hope ISI doesn't forget about logging-in to http sources. Otherwise all stuff will have to be provided publicly without any limit. I bet a lot of leagues will not be able to do that.

9. Slothman

Slothman Registered

Yeh I considered that. It does pose a problem.

For leagues, most likely, they will still distribute content via the HTTP sources and use auto download as an option.

Hopefully ISI can incorporate this somehow.

10. Marco Bijl

Marco Bijl Registered

You can disable the download function via HTPP, so if you have something thats not to be publicly distributed, lock it in the multiplayer.ini.

Share the content via regular (Mediafire, Gamefront, Rapidshare, sites like that)ways, and keep the link private.
    Once the base mod is created (for a league), and an update has to be done, THAT can be distributed via the server again. Just try to use the system in a way that it has the most advantages for yourself :)

11. Slothman

Slothman Registered

Oh yeh..already got ways that will work...but hey, we can ask for something like that....most current rF1 leagues use hosters like Gamefront...imagine how easy that would be :)

12. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

Yeah.. looks like we got useless feature for most leagues. I hope it is just kind of pre-release of this feature and will be improved later focusing on authorized access. For example, servers might allow download only for defined league members. How to achieve it? there a few ways. For example list of drivers may be downloaded from given URL in some specified format (XML, JSON, whatever). league admins will provide such file for dedicated server - it may be checked any time server runs, or just before loading a track. Just an idea.

13. michael1

michael1 Banned

Why we have a limit to 100mb? We need more at 1000mb. We have 500mb per second servers yesterday I tested 100mb mod and it took 3 seconds but we have a mod at 750mb and it fails.any cars we don't want to give to people we upload on teams peek and fellow racers can get it from hear via a password. The other thing we found was if you tern the server off when downloading a car you get a part rfmod then if you try again it saves the new one as whatever-copy then it won't install.but it's a good idea and we will keep testing it.

14. michael1

michael1 Banned

put apassword on server then only people with the pass can get the cars.

15. DJCruicky

DJCruicky Registered

At the moment I've found you can download content even if there is a password on the room.

16. michael1

michael1 Banned

when i build mods it asked me do you want to make this mod public or private when u make mod id mabe this is the option but not sure.

17. maatriks

maatriks Registered

I as an league organizer would also like to see added support for FTP protocol. Our http web hosting has limitations but FTP is as big as our HDD is, so lots of room. We can manage with HTTP only, but I would imagine it is not that hard to add.

Thanks.

18. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

Are you refering to mods or vmods?
    I don't want to modify/rebuild someone's mods.

19. Kalanur

Kalanur Registered

So is it possible to download the mods directly from the server or only vmods?
    The reason I ask is because I have some friends that a little bit older and the opposite of a computer expert. It would be nice for them to simply launch a fresh install of rF2, connect to my password protected server and auto download EVERYTHING they need from my web server. Same for small updates.
    In rFactor 1 I had to upload big archives to my FTP so they could simply download and drop it in their rF folder. But then problems started as soon I had to add a new track or an updated version of a component. So I had to upload everything as a new zip file to not get mismatches.
    With the new mod system, it's already easier for me, because I can simply create updates for the .rfmod file but I can already see them staring frustrated at the mod manager because it's not the windows file explorer, but something different which will confuse them.

20. Slothman

Slothman Registered

I believe the overal goal is to do something like you have described...ie Autodownload the LOT...Gjon did mention autoinstall as well BUT I think you will find that is his "dream" goal :)

As for using Mod Manager...well they dont have to. Once the packages/components/vMods are in the Packages directory you can install/uninstall everything from the rF2 UI. So really...they should be able to handle that if they got their heads around the whole Drag and Drop in Windows Explorer.