A Message to the DEV Team !

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mitt Wilson, May 26, 2012.

1. Mitt Wilson

Mitt Wilson Registered

Last Night I attempted to Code a simple JAVA button that said "OK" for the life of me I could not do it- After 3 hours of trying I thru my hands up and said fuk it.. That Moment of me gracefully bowing out of made me think about Rfactor 2 and the DEV Squad!!
    I just want to say I have a newly found respect for All the HARDWORK you all are putting into RF2!

Keep it up and never bow out! :)

2. GTrFreak

GTrFreak Registered

Like you did, you mean? ;)

3. Mitt Wilson

Mitt Wilson Registered

Yup- I was eventually going to work my way around to making a Flat speedo but yeah dont think thats going to happen lol

4. Rich Goodwin

Rich Goodwin Registered

I'm doing a Computer Science degree. I was so exited for learning Java......I now hate it lol

5. Alex Ball

Alex Ball Registered

I'm a programmer and developer - and I still think these guys do a magic job.

Keep it up :)

6. ethone

ethone Registered

7. Mitt Wilson

Mitt Wilson Registered

Oh Man my wife is going to kill you lol ty! :)

8. Boxorman8

Boxorman8 Registered

I'm constantly baffled by how perfect this game looks and feels, the Devs are clearly doing something right, it's a shame they can't employ some more people to shuffle this game out faster :)

Although I feel like this is gonna be my main racer for many years to come so I can wait, nothing has come close to the feeling I got from the Megane. I have no experience in sim racing really, but over the last 5-6 months I've tried many if not most of the sims out there, from GT4+5 to Dirt to Race07, GTR, rfactor1, etc etc.

The only contender I haven't yet tried is iRacing, from what I'm hearing it's on par with rfactor2 but much much more expensive, although a finished product with leagues already running etc..but that'll just improve with rfactor2.

Lately I've been on a tear just practicing the nurburgring on my PS3 (GT5) but that simulation is rather sad, can't call it a driving simulation imo, eventhough it says exactly those words on the box. I mean when you drop down a single gear the car brakes like if you jumped on the brakepedal, ye cars will ofcourse slow down but they don't slow down THAT much from shifting down, it's mainly that you lift from the accelerator and use the brake... something they decided wasn't fun....... I guess?

Also you can barely feel a thing thru the wheel in that game, I was majorly dissapointed. It's basiclly a little more real looking arcade racing, that said I love earning money and leveling up my character etc, a little RPG feeling into my SIM would be wonderfull.

I' prattling on but that's because I'm exited and a little drunk :D

Imagine a GT5-like mod for rfactor2 which was more of a singleplayer experience like in GT5 with earning money buying cars paintjobs and accessories for your cars, I think that sounds fantastic, but that's wishful thinking at it's worst, I'll just let them design the game they want, seems like they know what they are doing !

TL;DR great job so far, could be faster but not complaining - loving the megane, almost to the point that I want to drive a megane in real life.

9. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

If u can afford a megane sport, go go go.

10. jubuttib

jubuttib Registered

You basically described part of my dream sim. I've always loved the car selection of Gran Turismo series (being a street car nut) but since it's not really a decent simulator it's pretty much useless. Combining the car selection of GT, realism of rF2 (which will obviously depend on the mod in question, but you get my point), tracks from GT, Forza, rF, Race etc. and open world driving like in TDU2, that there would be my dream sim.

But yeah, since that's a no-go for probably like 20 years, I've just been hoarding all of the street car mods and long (over 10 km) tracks I can find for rFactor. =)

11. Boxorman8

Boxorman8 Registered

Yupp that game would seriously kick ass, but it's weird because it's a blatant grind like in WOW or diablo etc, you know you will succeed eventually, you just want at that extra content, but with this game u get all the content when you want it, so I should be happier here, it's a brain thing I guess.

12. jubuttib

jubuttib Registered

The human brain is wired to derive pleasure from rewards, it's quite simple. =)

That's what hooks people in Forza and GT. When you've amassed so much credits that you can buy and upgrade each and every car you want it starts to be less fun. In racing sims most of the reward tends to come from the feeling of nailing a lap, making a pass, having a good race. Absolutely nothing wrong with that, but sometimes I wish the sims had more game like aspects in them on top of the first class simulation.

13. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Gjon has talked before about using the race result stats (sent when a server moves to next track or ends), to do some of that stuff.

14. Jos

Jos Registered

I think gt5 is a pretty decent simulator?

In the replay the cars look connected to the ground unlike some floaty pc sims.

Last edited by a moderator: May 30, 2012
  15. jubuttib

jubuttib Registered

It has it's moments, and it doesn't suffer from ice skating physics like so many sims on the PC do (though I don't want to include rF1 here, simply because I think it's mainly the fault of the modders and the community. Niels has proved that rF1 can have cars that behave naturally, progressively and feel planted, without totally fudging up grip levels), but it's a bit too far towards the other end, the fidelity of the simulation is noticeably lower, and the simple fact that it has so many cars means that only a select few of them can be done properly accurately, the others being gross approximations. And after you start including the upgrades, they all turn into gross approximations.