Major Oversteer Problem...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by pzero_nero, May 25, 2012.

1. pzero_nero

pzero_nero Registered

Hi to all,

Especially in Megane and GTR I am fed up with the oversteer issue. I tried every setup guide, every other setups provided on the net. It's same again. I can barely counteer steer and rescue in the open wheelers but in megane and nissan no good (once I spun wht the GTR in 30 kmh). I play the game all the assists turned off and I am a pretty good sim racer. I own netkar pro and I had none of the above problems. I used to my g27 rattle, stuttering when paused the game, all the known bugs but this oversteer issue drives me crazy. And the cars feels like going on ice while on the track. I can not feel the grip in gt cars. Openwheelers is far better but not stick to tarmac...

Suggestions are really really appreciated...

2. mikeyk1985

mikeyk1985 Registered

The tin top cars are, in my opinion the hardest to drive, you really don't get the quick reactions of an open wheeler without all that downforce. If you are having such severe oversteer my obvious thought would be to setup the car for extreme understeer and then work back from there. My experience has been to tweak the anti-roll bars, that gives a good counter effect for over/understeer for me at least.

3. jubuttib

jubuttib Registered

I've driven the GT cars more since the update, and from all that I can see is that they're pretty stable and grippy, but badly set up for corner exits. It's very easy to press the gas too much or too early, mess up the balance when hitting a kerb, and even just having the wheel turned a bit too much will easily lead to oversteer. And it can indeed seem like they're randomly losing control, the difference between a good exit with lots of traction and a bad exit with a snappy spin is really quite small (and I assume it really should be, after all).

Taking the exits a bit softer (and naturally making sure you don't overdo the entry either) makes them behave much better, and straightening the wheel a bit as you step on the gas is usually enough to settle the car, and often you get a nice and effortless subtle 4 wheel slide out of the corner, just pressing the pedal to the floor with zero countersteer. Setting up the car also helps, personally I found that increasing acceleration lock to 80% or so helped my driving.

It's not perfect but much better than in the previous version, and it seems like it's mainly due to the tyres heating up more now (the dampening heating fix). They're still not quite there yet though IMHO, from what I understand the normal range for racing tyres is around 80-100 degrees, and I can only manage a somewhat consistent 60 degrees, only going over that if I'm sliding the car. Still, it's a great upgrade from being stuck at 40 degrees like I was in b69. =) Every step that makes the tyre model more finished seems to make the cars handle better, so I'm already looking towards the next one. =)

4. pzero_nero

pzero_nero Registered

Yeah, I hope that with the incoming updates it'll be much better.

I don't have any problems with the throttle while exiting from the turns. I am comfy about the tail while exiting. It is correctable if you realise at the first point. My primary problem is the loosing the end of the car when I lift off from the throttle and tap the brake the rear end comes out in the middle of a quick direction changing turn. I can counter steer the loose and but car immediately responses the opposite side and loose the end again from the other side. As a result unpredicted self flick and welcome to the barriers :D I use 360 degrees wheel turn and 20 degrees of steering lock.

Sometimes I do left foot braking while giving a little throttle to turn the car in to the apex like a rally car but it's ridiculous for a track car to cope that unbalanced twitchy manner.

I think we shuold wait the updates for a fully balanced megane :rolleyes:

5. jubuttib

jubuttib Registered

It's not hard to get the tail out by accident when tapping the brakes, but hard braking seems to keep the GTs pretty solid. The Megane is more twitchy though under braking, I usually move the brake bias forward on it to compensate. As the rubber builds up I can move it further back again as the car has more grip.

6. pzero_nero

pzero_nero Registered

I use the bias 75/25 all the front. I think that twitcyness of the body could be managed by the roll bars. But the effectiveness of the ARB's is not quite there I think :confused:

And nobody shares the setups they use, in the forum... Am I wrong?

Last edited by a moderator: May 26, 2012
  7. mclaren777

mclaren777 Registered

I think the Megane is the most perfect sim car I've ever driven.

Make sure you have your steering wheel and steering angle set correctly. I use 360º in-game for my G27 and 16.5º for the Megane's steering lock. Try that and see if you can't countersteer better.

8. Brian Clancy

Brian Clancy Registered

I have to agree, the Meganes are lovely and I can catch the drift all the time. 75/25 is FAR too much forward, even if I want absolute stability, I dont need more than about 63/37 and thats too much really :)

Soften your rear ARB and stiffen your front, harder front springs/damper settings may help also :)

9. pzero_nero

pzero_nero Registered

Thank you Brian and mclaren...

I'll try 63/37 and 16.5 lock...

I use rear ARB detached and stiff front ARB... But I should try harder I think...

10. GTrFreak

GTrFreak Registered

guys, it's the differential you must tweak..

I've had the same problem in rF1 when CTDP2005 was released intitially. I found it to be extremely twitchy in the braking and while changing down gears.. The main option you must try is differential Coast. The higher this number, the less the car gets unstable while on negative throttle. So try to change up a bit.

Btw, blipping the throttle while downchanging is also a way to prevent the rear breaking loose.

(didn't check myself but I hope you can tweak these options in the setup..)

Let us hear when this works out for you

11. Mitt Wilson

Mitt Wilson Registered

Oversteer Means your driving to SLOW !
    So to cure the Oversteer issue = DRIVE FASTER !!!! :eek:

12. pzero_nero

pzero_nero Registered

You can only change preload in megane. No coast or other diff. options.

Yeah blipping is an option but we are not using oldschool type transmission, IMHO it's weird to blip in a modern race car with full sequential transmission :D

13. GTrFreak

GTrFreak Registered

imo, nothing old school about that..

14. pzero_nero

pzero_nero Registered

I mean the race car should behave normally and we don't need to to do things like that. :)

15. pzero_nero

pzero_nero Registered

Btw,

You can not attach rear ARB in megane...

16. GTrFreak

GTrFreak Registered

thats bs...

a race car should behave normally, so we should not have to countersteer or change tyres because of lockups?

17. pzero_nero

pzero_nero Registered

There's no need to be offensive saying "that's bs"....

I mean the game so the cars should behave like real race cars. That's it. Right now neither megane nor gtr behaves like reaal GT cars...

18. GTrFreak

GTrFreak Registered

you're right, but didn't mean it offensive, unlucky choice of words I guess..

Allthough I think it's incorrect to say 'it's weird to do because cars are supposed to be easy to drive'
    Probably you think I'm exaggerating your statement and maybe I do, but it's just something I don't agree with..

No offense, no hard feelings :)

19. jubuttib

jubuttib Registered

Eh, I prefer using the car as it's meant to be used. I trust that ISI has correct specs for the car, and they've set the steering wheel range to 612 degrees, so that's what I'll use. With a steering lock of 25.5 degrees (i.e. max) it gives me a steering ratio of 12, which is pretty darn fast.

Incidentally, your steering ratio is 10,90909... which is also doable with the full 25.5 degrees of steering lock. If you set your wheel to 556 degrees you'll get the same steering ratio but also the benefit of being able to use the full steering lock range of the car. Win-win.

20. terrible1fi

terrible1fi Registered

setting my wheel to 720 degrees in the tin tops solved my oversteer problems