Flanging tyres and other audio issues

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ghostdriver, May 23, 2012.

1. Ghostdriver

Ghostdriver Registered

Does this only happen in my PC?

- When locking/screeching two or more tyres I hear a loud and clear flanging. (maybe they're using the same audio sample for all tyres?)

- Formula Renault's engine sound is considerably lower on volume than other cars. (sound as the center/mid channel is out of phase)

- Wind is too loud on high speeds

- When I approach a wall I hear a very loud and *wrong* reverb (*reverb settings maybe?)

- Spotter/engineer not working

All of those issues are usually easy to fix if ISI feel there is the need to, but are those issues happening with someone else?

2. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Spotter is low volume and currently placeholder stuff I think... Not sure on status.

What is wrong with the reverb?

Buffetting and wind can overpower a lot of other sounds...

Not sure why FR3.5 is lower volume... Perhaps due to being rear engined and covered?

I think we had a bug that recently was fixed... Check that screeching sound after next update.

3. blakboks

blakboks Registered

AFAIK rF2 is still stereo only (?) So, that might explain a lot of your issues if you're using some sort of digital processing to try to separate stereo into 4.1, 5.1, 7.1, etc.

The Formula Renault is mid-engine. So that would make sense that its out of phase. The Megane is also mid-engine, but perhaps they're actually figuring in some bounce around the cockpit (pure speculation).

Drag increases exponentially, so it would stand to reason that the sound from wind would increase exponentially as well.

1 person likes this.
  4. Ghostdriver

Ghostdriver Registered

Hi Tim, thanks for the reply! I will wait for the update to check everything.

About the reverb, bear in mind that when it comes to sound, I'm a nerd, so I'm talking about details, nothing that compromises the end product to most people. I have NO idea how software works, so excuse me if I'm off the mark. I feel like there's a "reverb machine" that is triggered when:

- your car is close to walls
    - inside tunnels
    - when there are crowd stands and walls close to both sides (Mills has this right after pit exit)

The problem, in my opinion, is that only the tunnel sound is correct. When racing close to the side wall, what we should hear is the engine sound bouncing back from the wall to our ears a bit later than the sound coming from the engine (engine is closer, sound arrives earlier at our ears) that is basically delay, not reverb.

Reverb gives the impression of closed spaces, it has a 'tail' you can hear that tail (think rock snare from the 80's)

Delay has no 'tail' (echo, like clapping hands in a canyon)

I don't know if I made myself clear or if any of these really matters to most people, like I said I'm a nerd! Sci-fi movies use explosion and others sounds in space! Although it's wrong, if it was just silence I think most people would pause the movie and check the cables everytime there's a space battle:)

@blakboks: Thanks for chiming in! My Pc is hooked to my home theater, it does simulate 5.1 wich is always strange, but I checked with headphones and a secondary system and I got almost the same. (the HT was making it worse tough!)

5. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

Yeah... I noticed that too. But nobody else I know.
    I'm glad that you are here to explain sound related things. I'm almost desperate since a lot of people doesn't care about those things. Maybe these are details - but world is built with details.

6. PLAYLIFE

PLAYLIFE Registered

Yep good explanation, hit the nail on the head. I knew what I was hearing was a bit strange but wasn't able to describe it.

7. Ricknau

Ricknau Registered

It sounds like you're in a gymnasium. When surrounded by concrete and grandstands (like the main straight at Mills) it may be appropriate. But it shouldn't have that gymnasium sound if you're simply driving along a concrete barrier on one side. As metioned before, in the latter case it should just be a single reflection off the concrete without an extended decay. I guess you could say it should be an echo in this case and not "reverb".

And I have noticed the "flanging" tire sounds too. Noticed it in other sims as well. It doesn't happen all the time. I think the OP is correct in that it is caused by same sound file being used and when it by chance matches very closely in time to another car's sound it makes the flanging affect. I'm theorizing as to the cause, but I'm sure I hear the effect.

Last edited by a moderator: May 25, 2012
  8. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

yes, flanging appear when 2 same samples are played with very small phase shift. Probably if both tyres get locked in quite the same moment, screeching sounds are started to be played from the same sample. But there may be other reason - if samples are too short, then even if wheels are locked in different moments, and sample is played from various offsets, it is possible that meet playing offsets for both wheels getting interference.

9. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

That issue may have been fixed in the new build, where sound may have just been coming from one tire for that?

10. Ricknau

Ricknau Registered

I should say that my experience of flanging was in the last build. I have not run Build 85 much. Will keep an ear out.

11. Ghostdriver

Ghostdriver Registered

Yes! You guys were fast on this one. I could easily reproduce that effect but not anymore. I hear diffrent samples that add to each other quite well and produce a full screeching sound. Nice!

12. Ghostdriver

Ghostdriver Registered

You are right, specially considering how important sound is for our brains to understand reality. Great sound adds a lot of immersion, while a weak audio post production takes it away, im my opinion, of course.