Succesfully generated rfmod file not found in ModManager

Discussion in 'Component and Mod Packaging' started by Dahie, May 20, 2012.

1. Dahie

Dahie Registered

Hey

Erale is writing a tutorial on the mod packaging process and I was his guinea pig for testing.
    I followed the instructions given here and succesfully created my components and and rfmod file.

When I move my rfmod file into the rfactor-data/Packages folder to install them using the ModManager, they don't appear in the list. When I switch off to "only show mod files", I see my components in the list, but not the actual mod to install. It's not the paths, the rfmod is in the correct folder. I generated the rfmod file multiple times without error messages.

Here are my Package-Settings:
    [​IMG]

Erale didn't have my problems and couldn't find what I do wrong and so I ask here. Hope somebody can help. :)

2. ethone

ethone Registered

Two thoughts:
    - Did you have a different version of the same mod installed and then just overwrote that file? I've seen that throw up issues with rfcmp files, perhaps it affects rfmods too.
    - Have you had the mod/a mod with the same name/ID previously installed and have residual manifest files in the installed directory?

3. Dahie

Dahie Registered

To both quesions the answer is no.

4. MJP

MJP Registered

Is there anything in the log view on the advanced tab of the launcher, something like couldn't be verified or missing a component? I notice from your screenshots that you don't have the meganes installed but your rfmod requires components from it!

5. Dahie

Dahie Registered

Which Megane components should it require?, where do you read that? We don't rely on anything from the Megane. :/

6. MJP

MJP Registered

Your package screenshot appears to point to tracks that come with the megane rfmod, yet your modmanager screenshot says they're not installed.

7. erale

erale Registered

The mod manager also would list the mod even if the required components aren't installed yet.

8. Marco Bijl

Marco Bijl Registered

That depends Erale....

It's not always that the component is showed as a problem mod. It can also be removed from the inventory by the Launcher. To check, go to the advanced tab, or read the log files.

Perhaps it did show once, Install was clicked, and it disapeared. This is also mentioned in the advanced tab as removed from inventory.

My suggestion would be to check the rfm and manifests folders for a .rfm or .mft file.
    Go to the data folder of your install, enter the folder Installed/RFM and look for the mod name.
    Then go 2 folders up, and enter the Manifest folder. Look again for the mod name.

Big chance that it is there. Delete the file (the .rfm and .mft file ONLY), and open the mod manager again. It should be there then.

In terms of the manual, I have made a little one myself (only 40 pages orso ;)). Are you only doing the packaging process for vmods, or do you also include component packaging and stuff like that?

9. rer8

rer8 Registered

There has to be a better way...

Last edited by a moderator: May 26, 2012
  10. erale

erale Registered

So Dahie uploaded his version of the rfmod and I put it into my packages folder and Mod Manager found it. So the rfmod is fine.

And for rfmod files that require components that are missing: during testing I noticed that these are listed also in the Mod Manager under: *** Unable to install the following mods ***

11. Marco Bijl

Marco Bijl Registered

Erale,

Like I said, it's probably a .rfm or mft file present. Then the mod manager doesnt show it.

The info in advanced tab, when right cliking and selecting properties, is not always accurate. When 1 component is not installed, it lists all components as not installed. So be carefull there ;)

@Rer8,
    The packaging instruction is all you need. Nothing high fancy. Just read carefully, and you should be able to do what you want.

Other option is to wait until either mine, or Erale's manual are ready ;)

12. Dahie

Dahie Registered

There is no rfm or mft present.

However the Logview in the rf2 launcher say:

Thanks for tip to go look there.

Now, where does this come from? :D

13. Dahie

Dahie Registered

For the record, thanks to erale and tuttle I finally found what was wrong.

Following our package-tutorial, I have a new personal subfolder in my rFactor2-Data/ folder called "ModPacking" just for that - packaging mods. In there I had a manifest-file for my mod to package, which the blocked/conflicted/interferred/dunno-what with the regular Manifest-detection of rFactor. Seems like it tried to verify this manifest, although it was outside of the usual Manifest-folders, failed and decided not to display the actual rfmod I wanted to install in the Mod Manager.

The issue is now "solved" by deleting this manifest and restarting windows. Restarting Windows? Seriously is it still 1999? ;)

The side-effect is, that the inventory appears to be corrupt, all mods are listed as not-installed.

14. Dahie

Dahie Registered

So finally got it working:

After the "solution" described above, my inventory was corrupt, all installed mods were listed as uninstalled and I couldn't reinstall them - even after deleting the manifests. The only solution was to delete the complete data-folder, uninstall rf2 and reinstall it. I wouldn't count it a solution.

I guess this mess was caused, that the Mod Manager not only looks for Manifests files in "rFactor2 Data/Manifests" but in all folders of the Data-folder. Since nothing prevents you from shooting in the knee by creating new folders here, this is a rather nasty behaviour, especially without any useful logs and error messages!

15. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

I think both the process and the documentation is updated in the next update.

16. Dahie

Dahie Registered

Good to know, because right now, I can't tell where I make mistakes and I just see it doesn't work and it actually corrupts my system irretrievable. Rather frustrating, even for beta. :)