New Rig

Discussion in 'Hardware Building/Buying/Usage Advice' started by Handsy, May 14, 2012.

1. BasJon

BasJon Registered

I use the accelero extreme on my graphics although I only have one card and let me tell you they are by far the best gpu cooler in the world so quiet and so good my stock cooler idled at 37 and around 59 load with my accelero idle 27 load never goes over 46 :) and to add I edited my profile in ati so my card never goes in sleep mode.

Nice one cleverleyson :)

2. reliable

reliable Registered

just want to give a shout out to the sapphire 7950oc in parts of the world new Zealand, its much cheaper than a 680. $630 vs $800 - $850.

with the 7950 oc'ed to 1200/1500 performance is pretty good to say the least! I don't have a 680 but don't regret my decision. plus the prices on 7950 will drop soon to then I'll xfire

3. Handsy

Handsy Registered

Thanks all for your help, just typing this on my newly built rig. Got it all together in one evening after work, and installed the software and finishing touches tonight.

So all i need now is my GTX 680 which is coming Thursday.... Shame i will not be home untill Sunday as im racing at Cadwell Park from Thurday on.... Grrrr

Just to say the pc is lightning fast, with just a few snags with the computer booting over and over for some reason on start up, changed over to XMP in EZ bios from auto and it worked.

I have the CPU running at 28 degs and the mobo at 32, this is with the turbov evo and epu.

Thanks again all, i shall be playing rfactor by Sunday....

Dan

4. djt

djt Registered

Don't get too excited, every racing sim/game (rFactor, rFactor2 beta, GSC, iRacing, pCARS, netKarPro,F1 2011, Dirt3) I've run with the GTX 680 has the stuttering/v-sync issue that's been talked about in various hardware forums for the last month or more.

A 47 page thread about the issue can be found be found here -

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=226227

The problem which Nvidia now says they have a fix for is said to be linked to the GPU boost feature and will come in a upcoming driver release (not the new 301.42's released today).

Another rumor out there claims it's a more serious issue and is hardware not driver related -

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/graphi...Recall_GeForce_600_Series_Graphics_Cards.html

I ended up putting my tried and true GTX 580 back in one of my setups and I was back to stutter free performance with v-sync enabled with all of my games again. At this point I'm even thinking of seeing if Newegg will take the GTX 680 back.

5. Handsy

Handsy Registered

This is rather worrying as the amount of cash I threw at it, as I was recommended by so many people to purchase this card over others???

6. djt

djt Registered

Dan,

Nvidia claims it will be fixed with an upcoming driver revision, although from what I’ve read in various forums many have their doubts.

I’m not very happy about it either as I do run some DirectX 11 games that really can use the grunt that the GTX 680 is capable of. As far as racing sims like iRacing, rFactor and rFactor2 that use older DirectX 9 game engines go the GTX 580 I was running before was doing an excellent job. With those three racing titles I didn’t even see much of a difference between the two GPU’s in performance.

The only thing I can suggest is make sure you do some good research in a decent hardware forum (not in this forum) before choosing components for a new build.

7. Handsy

Handsy Registered

Ok I have installed the 680 downloaded the new drivers and installed project cars, and its amazing, the game runs pretty well after a bit of playing around. Will try R factor tonight.