New Rig

Discussion in 'Hardware Building/Buying/Usage Advice' started by Handsy, May 14, 2012.

1. Handsy

Handsy Registered

2. modmate

modmate Registered

Well, ok but a GTX570 Phantom is nearly the same in performance like a 670. Got all cards in our store and also tested a bunch of them. The gtx670 is more pricey but not worth it. If you want something more then a 570 you`ll need a 680.
    And for the rest, ok, but everyth8ing at amazon uk and you save 100 pounds...anyway. Your choice.
    One more thing coolermaster isnt a powersupply producer so they are n9ot that good, better then the one before but not that good.
    Most stable right now are Cougar and be quiet. You dont wanna get 11 instead of 12V lanes trust me.
    Oh yes, if you like to OC the I5 you`ll probably need a bit better cooler then the artic. Search for the extreme or look for Noctua coolers.

The G-skill ram was the most inefficient we got the last years and take it off our products last year. Dunno if they get better but i prefer Kingston and Corsair.

3. dodswm

dodswm Registered

Yeah true, i'm not saying there aren't cheaper retailers... definitely worth shopping around :)

For foreign exchange charges that most banks/card issuers impose, its hard to save much money buying from abroad.. and shipping costs are usually a lot more.

4. Carbonfibre

Carbonfibre Registered

Thought I'd chime in too since I've built many PCs for other people in the past.

In fact, I just want to touch on the subject of storage.

Don't disgrace you're new PC without having a SSD! If you're not already doing so, you should be partitioning your OS from your personal data anyway. So this way it makes perfect sense to buy into the hybrid system most gamers are running nowadays and get an SSD for your OS and games and a regular HD for your storage. I shouldn't have to tell you why an SSD is important, but it's the part that makes your new PC, actually perform like a new PC should. Everybody who gets one never regrets buying one, the cost is justified.

I highly advice getting this Crucial M4 SSD and pairing it with a cheaper WD Blue drive than the one you are going for. It's single platter 500gb so it's fast, and quieter than the Blacks. The WD Blacks were useful when people had them as their OS drives because of the higher IOPS, but since SSD's came about, it's made that completely redundant, so you're far better off going for Blue (they spoil up quicker when you boot) or even Green (Runs the coolest, best for external bays). WD's are simple to understand. I recommend Blues for you though, only because I believe you might be splitting your rF2 mods and you're run out of space fast on the SSD if you download every mod. I warn you about this, but I'm having no trouble with my 128GB M4 space wise having all games and programs on it.

About prices; I always go for the offers when I buy things, so those eBuyer deals looks very tasty to me. I paid £120 for my M4, and I thought that was a good deal, now look at the price.

P.S. If 500gb was too small I did see this - although that reduction is bogus. Likewise, if you're concerned about space on the SSD you can double the size if you have the cash. Or you can just buy another 128GB M4 later on and RAID them. Firmware may need updating but prob not.

Guide for installing windows 7 correctly on an SSD.

Last edited by a moderator: May 14, 2012
  5. ozleem

ozleem Registered

I run everything maxed (see my spec) 43-61 fps :single (1) screen 42 inch hdtv hdmi connections 30 ai any track any where any time like a breeze fluffy bunny chicken legs k mm k nvidia all the way hehe just sayin,

But always a butt there and here but, as we all should know the gfx are not all done in this beta yet so i might even be upgrading my self to a gtx 680 and 8g ram but that new 690 is sweeet!

6. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

yeah... display size does matter ;)
    Just today on our forum some one asked for possibly performance issues after connecting projector, because once he noticed significant fps drop after buying larger monitor ;)

7. Tosch

Tosch Registered

Are you sure you tested a 670?
    http://www.guru3d.com/article/geforce-gtx-670-review/1

8. Handsy

Handsy Registered

9. Bart S

Bart S Member

Dont forget that 2 gfx cards especially 500 series get hot and then theres also the power draw, that deal you found aint always as sweet as you think for example power supply is unnamed the ram is branded? what is it them?
    Theres also mention of Refurbished that means the £80 gfx card will be Refurbished.
    Dont want to put you off, you better of emailing and asking direct questions on things not mentioned.

10. Kristoff Rand

Kristoff Rand Registered

the original setup will work fine for rF2 final... with one monitor. maxed. like was said before, right now the shadows and reflections may bog you a bit, but by final that stuff will be sorted.

11. Kiro

Kiro Registered

That last order is $1526 US without a monitor.
    I wouldn't buy anything right now except something cheap off the shelf.
    It will run better that what you have now, which you say is nothing.
    See my specs, way under those and runs fine, 70+ avg.
    Remember the gain we got with the update?
    I suspect that trend will continue.
    I say buy a cheapo off the shelf now and when the sim is done, THEN buy what you need and you'll have the other one for whatever.
    I have MY upgrade list but I'm sure it will change as time goes by and I have no need to do it right now.

12. [NAR]Steve

[NAR]Steve Registered

I KNOW that statement isn't true, as I run a 6950 AMD card, and although performance isn't jaw dropping, it is PLENTY good enough. I am not sure a 5770 would be powerful enough, but my 6950 copes pretty well, and also remember, the games graphic engine is not yet optimized, things will get better as the game moves along. Plus, you need a powerful processor also, because of all the physics going on, so it isn't JUST a graphics card that will make the difference on performance.

13. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

I think it is silly to bother with SSD on that budget

OMG he can spend another 100 on video card upgrade to start !

Corsair Cooling !

These things will do more for 2500K sim performance then a SSD will. !

actually SSD will do STUFF ALL for sim performance. !

You BUY SSD WHEN YOU CAN AFFORD it

adding to that exact budget ..like dropping a 2GB sata for a 120GB SSD or sacrificing video performance is plain silly imho.

and i own 2 SSD !

Of course anyone that has brought one would not go back to Sata, that does not mean you need one for rF2.

14. mxstud

mxstud Registered

My 2 cents would be get that setup listed in the second picture with the 670. You would not have to think about another video card for a long time, a 570 or 560ti would keep you happy for now, but the future might be somewhat lacking.

Your motherboard seems to be a strong choice, good room between 2 card in potential sli, pci-e 3.0 (even though 2.0 is not saturated by even 690's so no need for it) and plenty of room to oc cpu+ram

100% go with nvidia, dont choose anything from ati, its long and complex story but to summerize it, nvidia has much better driver support, you will never be left waiting for "drivers" to come out for a new game

I would say that the i5 2500k will provide you plenty of power. Yes the i7 is slightly faster, but you will never notice the extra money spent when it comes to gaming performance. If it were up to me, i would get the i5 and overclock it, and put the money i saved on the cpu into a 680, you will notice that extra money much more than spending it on the i7.

Your psu isnt horrible, but isnt great really either, to me a psu you dont want to buy a bunch, and can easily be transfered from this build, to a future build so there is no reason to got go for a 1000w psu just to be sli safe in the future, but also ensure that you will have enough power for furture cpu's also, i would suggest something like this for your psu....LINK...i will likely be tared and feathered for suggesting rosewell, but it has good amps per rail, and enough watts to keep you happy with just about sli anything and possibly tri-sli depending on card choice

I would go simple with the heatsink for now, the Scythe Mugen II is a great choice, only beat out by a few other coolers, and even then its by 3c at most usually. Link provided HEREi havent read up on the mugen 3 so i can not comment as to how it performs, but again the mugen 2 is a solid choice

In hopes to stop any potential criticism, yes cpu is important for games, but an i5 2500k would not even bottleneck 680's in sli, so from a gaming stand point un-needed horsepower...

That

Last edited by a moderator: May 15, 2012
  15. modmate

modmate Registered

Holy.....
    Seriously mate, you asked and we answer but you dont understand it quite well. So again :

DONT BUY A 560TI NOR A 670 , the first one dont have any horsepower and the second is way to expensive for what it can do.
    If you got enough money get a 680 and your good to go, everything under a 680 is a 570 when it comes to Price/quality/power.
    Also its again a i7 wich is absolutely BS for gaming . Nearly everyone with a I7 takes HT off cause it sucks hard.
    Also that PC in your link has the smallest and dumbest watercooling on it wich is available, to cool a I7 with that is BS again. Did you see that watercooling before??? I dont think so, look at it:

View attachment 2393

150ml of coolingliquid to cool down a I7?? :D..never
    And you also get a NONAME powersupply there!!!!

If you dont want to listen to any advices in here its your own problem mate. You dont discuss, just post more and more Rigs and ask if its ok, seriously...:rolleyes:
    Get the rig you`ve posted on top of page 2 here, thats good for you. even if its overpriced like i told you twice or more.

I am 1000000% sure and tested many games with it, NO DIFFERENCE!!! I cn play RF2 ALL maxed out with both without problems.
    Same for the other games.

Well yes, nearly every available Noctua and freezer extreme kills it easily.

Last edited by a moderator: May 15, 2012
  16. Handsy

Handsy Registered

Firstly i would like to say thanks for everyone's help on here, its been most informal. I have listed different rig configurations due to the fact im new and need help.

I would like to comment on modmates comments, and that's i appreciate you constructive tips and info but is it so necessary to be rude to everyone? seriously whats your beef!!!

Anyway i shall take into consideration everyone's comments and make my own decision from now on.

Thanks again
    Dan

17. modmate

modmate Registered

Did i sound rude to everyone?? Then im sorry , thats not what i wanted todo. Im german, and maybe something doesnt sound like it would here.:D Anyway, take the message not the single words.

EDIT:

I see i was rude to the Coolermaster watercooling system, that wassnt meant to you.;)

Greets

18. BasJon

BasJon Registered

Look at my spec on my profile, and no its not a joke you will never get 80 fps with settings all maxed with shadows and reflections on, maybe just maybe you might on a track with just yourself on, okay handsy my opinion you second build is a very nice spec but you would be better going back with the 2500k instead and spend the difference on a good cpu cooler either a corsair h60 or one of the good air coolers and overclock your cpu, as for the graphics thats a final choice you must decide yourself, I would google comparisons on 2 cards at a time for example check whats better ati 7970 or a gtx580, the 580 is an older card by a year ish but was a very strong card, the 7970 is newer and in my opinion is also a very good card, if it was my choice I would go for the newer and more powerful ati 7970 you will be able to play the game on maxed settings with this card :)

19. mxstud

mxstud Registered

and that h80 can kill the best nactua, not here to start a war, just stating that a better cooler can be found if you hunt long enough, but in this case, it would like him going with the i7, un needed performance, judging from these post i dont think he will be overclocking

heres link to where im pulling my numbers from COOLER ROUNDUP REVIEW

20. Handsy

Handsy Registered

is it worth going for and i7 ivy with a z77 mobo? Also is it worth getting a z77 mobo just incase i upgrade to an ivy in the future? Im going for an i7 now just not sure of the 2700k or the 3770k as the ivy has had reports of overheating when OCd???

I want to learn to OC but this will come in time, as im a pretty fast learner.