Acceptable performance?

Discussion in 'Technical Archives' started by Atle Dreier, May 9, 2012.

1. Atle Dreier

Atle Dreier Registered

I see the posts complaining about performance is starting to dwindle away. Have y'all found the magic bullet to performance, or just given up?

I have nowehere near good performance in this game and I've tried the suggestions I've found on this forum. So, do I just wait and play something else until the next update, or am I doing it wrong?

2. [NAR]Steve

[NAR]Steve Registered

Try a few things, in game, turn off Environment, and road reflections. in your AMD graphics driver, set AA to Multi Sample instead of Super Sample, try setting visible vehicles to a lower number. These should all help your FPS, I have a lesser system than yours, and I get good performance. Not GREAT, but good enough.

3. Atle Dreier

Atle Dreier Registered

By that I mean all of the above and alot more. I can get driveable performance on a single screen. If I venture into triplescreen resolutions and FOV it's unacceptable. By unacceptable I mean less than 60. I can run iracing maxed even at the heaviest tracks, Dirt with all eyecandy, LFS is in the hundreds and so on, so my system should be capable. Having said that, my CPU and GPU usage is way down, which suggest a bottleneck somewhere, or just a generally unoptimized code. My point with the thread was to see if others with capable systems are seeing better performance than me or have resigned to waiting for the next update.

4. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Not to forget; turn shadows OFF or low; big fps hit there.

1 person likes this.
  5. Cristian Why

Cristian Why Registered

your system is high-end better than mine you should have stable frame rates. i get average 80fps at Monaco with 29 cars on the track

6. Atle Dreier

Atle Dreier Registered

I can get 80fps too if I set resolution adn settings low enough. The point is I should be able to run this stable near maxed on three screens like other gfx intensive sims, or at least see heavy usage of my system. Right now I see 30-50% on either GPU and 30-60% on my CPU with several gigabytes of unused RAM, so something tells me the engine is bottlenecking somewhere.

7. D1Racer

D1Racer Registered

You won't be able to run this like other games at the moment, it's only a beta. Major graphical optimisations are normally left till near the end of a beta, when all graphical work is completed.

8. Cristian Why

Cristian Why Registered

oups i forgot to mention my screen res is only 1680-1050.

9. [NAR]Steve

[NAR]Steve Registered

This is 100% correct, you have to remember, this beta is for the modders to learn the new packaging system, so the graphics engine is not optimized yet, I am sure by the time they release the game fully, it will perform much better. We all need patience, and I am sure we will all be plenty happy with RF2..

10. NightnDay

NightnDay Registered

I don´t think so...I don´t believe in ISI anymore

11. Pits

Pits Registered

"This is 100% correct, you have to remember, this beta is for the modders to learn the new packaging system"
    Golly Gosh, deep breath and just tell myself to shut up...all calm again.

"so the graphics engine is not optimized yet, I am sure by the time they release the game fully, it will perform much better.
    We all need patience, and I am sure we will all be plenty happy with RF2"

I would pay actual money to be this man I just so admire your attitude.

12. [NAR]Steve

[NAR]Steve Registered

Thanks Pits, want my paypal information? ;)

13. Pits

Pits Registered

Bugger :)

14. Atle Dreier

Atle Dreier Registered

Well. I've pretty much just resigned myself to running rF2 in single screen mode. I truly love the physics and look&feel to bits, so I still drive alot. Having 60-120fps in most situations means it's driveable and I just gotta adapt to the limited field of view for now. Can't wait to unleash the triplescreen glory, though! :)

15. Pits

Pits Registered

I can't believe I'm happy, there always is a silver lining to most things, no tripples meant I moved on the two 460's and got a single 570 so at least RF1 goes a bit better and it's another 30% quicker in RF2, I can only hope it's another 4 years to an update and I'll be Quantum (as long as I don't look at it of course).