Renault 3.5 - Like driving on ice!

Discussion in 'Technical Archives' started by ROON, Apr 30, 2012.

1. ROON

ROON Registered

Spinelli- I don't think that I nor others who have chimed in are suggesting that the 3.5 should be 'easy' to drive, and planted on rails due to the high downforce. But rather it needs to be easier to take it TO the limit where you can feel the car slipping and sliding, as you drive it on the ragged edge. We're not here discussing how unrealistic it is for a high downforce car to slide or lose grip, but how unrealistic it is for this type of car to be out of control in any situation, whether you're going around a 50kph corner or roaring through a 180kph bend. In any given situation it's just an absolute mess, which doesn't stack up with the comments of Brendon Hartley posted by Tuttle:

"The new Formula Renault 3.5 is a very efficient, well-balanced car"

Not in rF2! :confused: Yes, a lot of us here are hobbyists and haven't driven real race cars. But that's not to say we don't understand throttle application and how to control a high powered vehicle in a simulator setting. I don't feel my driving style is at fault, but rather something with the car itself, or an issue with rF2. I think jubuttib's sentiments raise a very good point. Tyre temperature plays a huge role on these cars, and at the moment rF2 isn't calculating it properly, which would explain why the 3.5 feels as though it has iceberg-wheels.

2. Tuttle

Tuttle Technical Art Director - Env Lead

Sorry...:)

Here in Italy we've a very talented guy (Loris Spinelli - K2T World Championship) and he had driven same OW cars you've mentioned in your previous post...Pretty nice coincidence..:)

BTW, happy to see we've so many real racing drivers who loves rF/rF2...

I have to disagree a bit with this last comment. Of course it's true we can't feel the same real time driver experience, frame by frame, seconds after seconds, watching TV...but if the car is really slippery some fight, corrections and errors... could be catched by TV cameras (IE on board cam).

It's the same on Formula 1 where you can clearly see the huge difference on aero/mech grip between our ugly Ferrari 2012 and the new Mp4-27...and honeslty, watching those F3.5 vids they looks pretty stable, but I know...these babies needs to be tamed.

Last edited by a moderator: May 1, 2012
  3. tarros

tarros Registered

spinelli's theories,observation and experience are all right...
    but in rf 3.5 there is a lack of feeling... on wheel...
    with NKPRO formula series, u feel slide and if u want make a best lap U MUST make 1000 over correction at limit ...but it's so natural and all states roll/slide ecc. are impressive on ffb ...
    My wish list is RF 3.5 feels better than NKPRO formula series or at least the same
    My 2 cents

4. Gaz Mclean

Gaz Mclean Registered

lol you guys think the cars are too slippery here? dont try iracing then. I find all cars have great grip here, dont forget the weight transfer when breaking and down shifting into corners causes the car to get very unbalanced and can result in easy spins. also go real gentle when going through sharp slow corners with the throttle, too much and weee around you go, you have alot less grip at slow speed than fast. the videos of rl on boards look more stable cos the driver is good with throttle control so doesn't have to counter steer as much.

5. Satangoss

Satangoss Registered

I agree, of course a virtual driver will be more confident to push the car to its limit and, besides, don't have all g-force feedback then it's easier to make a mistake in racing simulator than a real life, but still... the Renaults are unstable even being very gently driven, far from the limit. You don't need be a professional open-wheeler driver to realise that...

6. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

7. Racefreak1976

Racefreak1976 Registered

I don't find it too hard to drive the formula renault. But then again I'm about 10 secs behind the AI at 120% at Snetterton. When driving online with Meganes I'm usually around 2 to 4 secs behind the leader depending on the track.

Yes, I know I suck at racing. ;)

8. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

You can't just mash the throttle at apex with this car either. You have to slowly apply throttle as you unwind the wheel.

9. Racefreak1976

Racefreak1976 Registered

Exactly! This is the reason why my time is 10 secs off. The AI seems to do a lot better with throttle than I am.

10. Satangoss

Satangoss Registered

+1, I'm able to apply the throttle progressively to avoid spins but this make me slow.

11. rfuctor

rfuctor Registered

I get the feeling the AI is somehow too fast. I have spent literally weeks trying to beat the AI at Palm Beach. I have a nice grippy, stable setup and am getting closer but still a few seconds off the pace. When I switch to the AI in-car, they are flying round corners and going faster on the straights + not having any issues getting the power down.

I don't have any problem with the feeling of the car, I just think the AI is way too quick.

12. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

These simraceway videos are awesome. Here is Leo in a F3 which has over 200HP less than the 3.5. At 13min he gets on the gas too early and spins it. It's an interesting watch if you care to watch the entire video. He talks about how the car is of higher performance than the tire. Very interesting.

13. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

theres also a video of that monster energy drink rally guy getting a ride in a Aussie v8 supercar, and he spins it and he was probably applying around 1 quarter throttle, and he repeatetly says it like 3 times, I dont undertsand how it spun, I cant believe it spun, I was barley touching the gas, i was honestly barley touching the gas, etc etc.

Way too many simracers have no idea how race cars/cars act when you are riding the edge of grip, and think because the pros on tv are smooth, show little steering corrections, make it seem easy, barley lock their wheels, use just one or 2 smooth arcs to turn the wheel, etc etc that thats just what its like for everyone, its not. I just watched Alexander rossi doing his first test in Barcelona in an F1 car, he was using way less of the track, was lapping wayyy slower than the F1 guys, but his hand movements on the wheel were all over the place, if Rossi was just a simracer playing a game he would be going off about how the car is way too difficult, these physics are crap, why do people always say hard physics are more real thats bs, theres no way a car would be this difficult to drive in real life, cars with this much downforce dont handle like this in real life, etc etc. but obviously he couldnt say that cause its real life.

14. Cangrejo

Cangrejo Registered

With the new update this car is much funnier and more believable. Now I love driving it.

The new effects of helmet visor I also like much, but I guess in later builds we may change the stickers on helmets when they get dirty

Thank ISI

Last edited by a moderator: May 27, 2012
  15. Speedyice

Speedyice Registered

This car went from my least favourite car in build 69 to the car I've spent the most time in build 85. I love the confidence it gives.