vehicle dynamics

Discussion in 'Technical Archives' started by swishdon, Apr 29, 2012.

1. swishdon

swishdon Registered

Having paid for and played the beta version of rfactor 2 for a good few hours with driving aids both on and off and also with many a different setups i know work well for the car i am driving. I have discovered the cars are extremely unpredictable and the physics seem really wrong. I have real problems with committing to high speed corners as the rear end just overtakes the front. I know what your thinking "you just suck" but as arrogant as it sounds i am not. Could anyone give me some feedback as to what i maybe doing wrong or if you have experienced the same problems as i. Thanks

2. Devin

Devin Member Staff Member

That's how racing cars should be like so "you just suck" ;) Less throttle, try making a setup, learn to drive and the problem is gone ;)

3. Alric

Alric Registered

I must admit, I thought this about rfactor1, especially when the rear end broke it was far too difficult to catch. However since using rfactor2 they have really nailed how the physics of a car on the limit should be. It's now possible to catch slides and even do two different techniques for the same situation. For example on the last corner at Portugal with cold tyres in the Megane if under full power when the car hits a bump it want's to break loose and slide. You can either take the corner with slightly less than full throttle to avoid the problem or you can do the following two things: keep the power on and change the steering angle to correct the slide or keep the steering angle constant and reduce the throttle to get the back end in check. You can obviously do a bit of both or do nothing and spin. This is exactly how a real race car is on the limit. I have so far not driven a simulator which has as much in common as driving a real racing car than rfactor2. I really feel you need to give it more time or try and get out and try a car on the limit where safe. If you have ever driven a car on cold slicks it really does want to break loose and understeer and oversteer all over the place until warm. This is exactly how rfactor2 is coded and really does take some practice to get heat into the tyres and yet not loose the car within that warm-up period.

In my opinion it's not that rfactor2's physics are wrong that makes it totally different to all other games/sims it's actually because they have nailed it which makes it seems so different. If you want the most realistic sim to real car experience then this is it. Because of that it's worth putting the extra time in to get used to it and set the car up correctly etc.

Hope I don't sound patronising but I have driven a variety of racing cars and for example have competed in the UK Silverstone 24 hour race the last 4 years so I know a bit about how tyres behave under extreme circumstances. The Forza Motorsport 4 sponsored V6 wide bodied Toyota MR-S that we ran last year was amazingly close to rfactor2's physics. 100mph + corners and it want's to swap ends as there just isn't enough downforce on our car which is exactly how the Megan's react in game.

Hopefully you will keep at it and get used to it. We are only at beta too so there's a whole load of fun to come :)