Roof Riders...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Kristoff Rand, Apr 28, 2012.

1. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

Tottaly agree, but then, gauges are such beautifull things :D

2. [NAR]Steve

[NAR]Steve Registered

I drive cockpit view IF the car has good visibility in the cockpit, The Meganes have great cockpit view, but some of the cars, such as the Nissan GT-R, the view from cockpit sucks, so I use the "roofcam"

3. John DiFool

John DiFool Registered

That of course is the hinge on which this incessant tiresome debate pivots. Let me say it one more time for those who either didn't bother to read my earlier posts (because they just jumped at the thread title Pavlov-dog style), or deliberately have ignored them: my eyeballs are 3 feet in back of my monitor. I do NOT drive with my face 1" from the monitor-do you? If I had some actual physical gauges to position in front of my keyboard and below my monitor and the sim I was driving supported them, then I most certainly would go that route. Likewise if I had an actual physical cockpit-then the monitors (4 of them?) would most certainly properly and perfectly simulate the windshield and side windows, in which case any "in-game" depictions of said objects would be 100% superfluous. Just because you inflexibly are attached to your One True Way idea of what the "right" view consists of doesn't mean others have to abide by it and don't have reasonable ideas of what a workable view would entail.

What a coincidence-so did I. <plonk>

1 person likes this.
  4. jjcook

jjcook Registered

Ive been reading this debate on forum posts about sim racing for 12 years.....someone should close this thread, theres better things to talk about...its an individual choice or a league/server choice- period.

having said that- my own personal choice is cockpit view and has been for many years....17 years of computer racing here in cockpit, i dont 'feel' the car at all unless im in the cockpit, the visual from cockpit replaces some of the seat of the pants things missing in a computer sim- allows one to 'feel' through visual cues what the car is doing -such as spring compression under braking or expansion under acceleration(i dont have those cues in other views)- my sreen is big enough these days that i dont need to really look at the cockpit graphics- i can see them in my peripheral as i watch the road, i glance at the tach....much like a real car....if your screeen is too small it can be too cluttered by a cockpit so i can see why some people want to race otherwise...

cockpit is much harder to drive a track initially but i think once you learn the apexes barking points and turn in points of a track it eqauls out. Ask the fastest sim racers in the world...the aliens....i suspect most of them use a cockpit view - a real advantage of one view over another would show up in the results....a survey of these 'aliens' may lead one to believe cockpit is actually faster.-maybe-

well im really slow....but i dont think its because of my view.....i'd prefer a locked cockpit view just for the sake of a level playing field....but i dont have a server so wont be forcing that on anyone else.....

well in their infinite wisdom isi included a multitude of views and the ability for a server to lock the view if they so wish...this sim is really about choices and options? at least it seems a core principal- would have them change that?

5. Kristoff Rand

Kristoff Rand Registered

the in car view from my truck... about 160degrees view from the point where my head resides while driving.

View attachment 2391

seems to me like I see what I do from cockpit view... not from roof rider view. and that's not to mention how fake the roof rider view is in F1... it has no roof yet you're view is riding way up in the air. just admit that the reason you people use the roof rider view is because it's easier and allows you to see more of the field ahead than your cockpit competition.

6. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

this avatar scares me more than even cdracers...please no offence meant.

7. Kristoff Rand

Kristoff Rand Registered

It's Venom from the Spiderman Comics...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Venom_(comics)

8. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

ha ha I thought it was from Ridley Scott, ok, Ill sleep better tonight :p
    (I hope so anyway, couldnt u put some flowers instead?)

9. elwood

elwood Registered

Same for me, the cockpit need to be attractive and immersive.
    To be more specific, i start to use constantly, cockpit view, in Nascar (Papy) Series and GTR.
    Was a transition since F12001, GP3 and GTR2002 mod for F12002, when i usually use the higher cam.
    I've problems with right handed cockpits since the Lister Storm so, if i can, i try to avoid them.
    I like them but i can't be precise as left handed driving position.
    Habits i think.
    I've no problems with motion sickness but a friend of mine can't play them.
    Not to mention with games like Portal.
    Seems a huge problem, for him, to maintain the focus on a specific target on the screen and get some dizziness but not nausea.
    He actually drives real cars with no problems at all.
    Seems related to videogames or movies i think.

Cheers.

el

10. [NAR]Steve

[NAR]Steve Registered

I don't really care if the cockpit view is attractive, I just want to be able to SEE when I use cockpit view, the Eve F1s are a good example, the windscreen is directly in my view, even when I set the seat to it's highest position, so, I do not drive that car...

11. Pits

Pits Registered

Anyone who uses an avatar that Kristoff Rand uses I listen very carefully too when he speaks, to do otherwise I feel could cost me a body part.
    Our old club forced cockpit view for many years (they also wanted it Real As It Could Be) it drove me spare, this is fun stuff not real stuff, real stuff you can die, the worst I do is reset. So, at the end of a days work mum lets me go out and play and I want to play it my way..front bumper, cockpit, nose, just whatever I feel like, I am a free spirit so don't bother telling me what to do, I don't come to your place and ....s with you.
    Just my thoughts on car views

12. Kristoff Rand

Kristoff Rand Registered

we never lock our server down, mainly because whatever people are used to driving and enjoy driving is what they should use... the most important part of online sim racing is everyone being able to race together without wrecking everyone else. seems as though iracing is completely locked to cockpit.

13. Christopher Snow

Christopher Snow Registered

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ev7cFzgpJ7s

FWIW, the setup in this video ^ is nearly identical to my own rig here, and it uses just a single projector, rather than multiple monitors to throw the image. There is minimal distortion only because the camera is placed off to the side of the drivers head--from the drivers eye view there is none at all.

The projector in this case sits in the "T-cam" position, above and behind the drivers head and, as you can see, the cockpit gauges and 3D dash are fully illuminated (less a problem for this driver than for me, as this fellow is of normal stature--the bottom of my own dash is somewhat blocked out from below by the shadow cast by my own head on the lower center of my screen.

In both cases our eyes are ~3'/1 meter from the projection screen, so in both cases our legs and the lower cockpit stick another 3'-4' out past the screen (and the lower center of both screens are, therefore, removed to allow this). In both cases the projected horizon is at or very close to the location of "true horizon," so in both cases we look down and and to each side to see the lower portion of our front tires, and just over the top of them to see other cars (or corner apexes) @ 45-60 degrees or so to each side. And, at least in my case (and his has to be similar too) the FOV is selected as to show objects in true lifesize--you can discern this here by noting that the wheel itself covers almost exactly--neither too large nor too small--where the real wheel would be in this F1 cockpit.

I can only say again: Why would anyone want to drive from the roof anyway, if they could drive from this position instead?

CS

Last edited by a moderator: May 22, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  14. Traveller

Traveller Member

You have not really played this game until you've driven from the perspective of a piece of gum stuck on a tire. Now that's a challenge. Especially a rear tire.

15. osella

osella Registered

Cockpit always.. cant understand too how anybody can drive well from other view but its their thing..

16. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

LOL