Roof Riders...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Kristoff Rand, Apr 28, 2012.

1. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

ha ha yes, no matter how I adjust FOV or seat I still need A LOT of practise.

2. Satangoss

Satangoss Registered

So, driving a car from the roof view doesn't allow a larger field of view in comparison to drive in the real position? Isn't that an obvious advantage, in your opinion? Ok then...

3. privatebrian

privatebrian Registered

There's only one view to drive from and thats the cockpit view,i mean you don't sit on the roof of your real
    car to drive it,do you?

4. Kristoff Rand

Kristoff Rand Registered

I think in many sims that roof riders have an advantage over others... their look ahead view is farther and wider. in Nascar sims it's a real big help when your in a pack of cars and can only see the bumper in front of you. however being in the cockpit in such situations raises the heartbeat and excitement. improving the "sim" feel...

5. toebee

toebee Registered

True, but someone with a low resolution monitor could say that your 3 monitor setup is a distinct advantage. That is why I don't really care what anyone uses if it helps them not crash into me!

6. ROON

ROON Registered

That was actually in response to the suggestions that seat positions should be locked into small parameters, which with all due respect I find a silly idea. But to answer your question, I can see that in some circumstances the roof-cam could offer an advantage over the cockpit cam. But like I said I truly don't think it's that much of an advantage to really make a fuss over, it's not the type of thing that's going to make or break your race. Personally I can't stand driving on the roof cam, partially because it's unrealistic but also because I just dislike the perspective. However I'm not fazed if others want to use that view while I race 'inside'.

7. Kristoff Rand

Kristoff Rand Registered

true enough...

8. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

I started my simming almost 15 years ago with an IBM aptiva, 14" if I remember correctly, my lap times were very good in CMR 3.
    Now Im with 21", my lap times are mediocre, Im very impressed with triple screens, immersion seems incredible, dont think my lap times would get better though, probably much worse till Im used to them and get back to normal (mediocre).

9. John DiFool

John DiFool Registered

Unbelievable that people are still calling it "roof riding" when I debunked that back on page 2...

10. Traveller

Traveller Member

There's a song in here somewhere...

Riders on the roof
    Riders on the roof
    On the roof we'll ride
    Except during love bug season

Hmm. Needs work.

11. Kristoff Rand

Kristoff Rand Registered

just because you saw an opinion that you agree with doesn't mean it's been debunked. it's still not a realistic view. let's all go to our cars and take a photo from our eye ball's perspective and come back and show it.

12. BigDuke6

BigDuke6 Registered

Interesting opinions posted, my view of this (pardon the pun) is when I'm driving a real car on a real road my view is not encumbered by a steering wheel with my hands attached to it, a dashboard or any other thing that may be on the inside of the vehicle, or even the bonnet of the car I'm driving. When I'm looking thru the windscreen I don't have any of those things registering in my field of view until I glance down at them, my eyes are firmly focused on the road in front of me.

I find the cockpit driving position in the majority of Sims and Mods just way to cluttered on my single 21" monitor to be called anywhere near a real experience especially with a fixed point of view.

Ive often wondered if having one of those TrackIR gizmos and a Triple screen setup might give a more realistic view/feel, alas on my budget its not gonna happen in the foreseeable future.

So before this post becomes too much of a ramble, I have always used a modified front bumper cam position to drive with, same height as normal cockpit eyeline, and just a bit further back from the front of the car, mid bonnet or thereabouts.
    I don't have too much of a problem with cockpit views in openwheelers and quite enjoy the feel of them. Its only the touring car etc variety I have issues with.

I have raced rFactor leagues almost since day 1 of rFactor and raced against guys who use a lot of different views, some I cant work out how they can actually drive with, eg the behind the car view, I just cant do it. Yes It does give them a slight advantage in some circumstances with a wider view of whats around them, but I have found I can sense another car beside me even if I cant see them and leave room accordingly.

This is the one major issue I have with rF2 is the non ability to put the cam where I want it. Let me say also that I can race in forced cockpit mode without a problem, I'm just as fast (which really isn't that fast to be honest:rolleyes:) when I'm Forced to use it, or bother to fire up IRacing, but it still just doesn't seem real/right to me.

cheers :)

13. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

Focused - yes. But you are still ready to react on some information coming from dash. Racing with other view than cockpit one, you for sure don't see dashboard if you need it, so you are forced to use various HUDs which is unrealistic (even if there is HUD technology IRL). So I suggest, buy bigger monitor (27"+), setup correct FOV (for 16:9, FOV 40 is imo quite good compromise), disable wheel/hands, then you will be able to race from cockpit focusing on the road

1 person likes this.
  14. deak1944

deak1944 Guest

Have to agree with you BigDuke6! When I'm driving a real car I do not see it but feel it. All my attention is on the road.

15. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

So again, all gauges, displays on your car's dash are useless?
    When I'm driving a real car I can focus on a road or watch a dashboard if needed. As well as in simracing cars.

Unfortunately in sims you cannot feel a car. cockpit movement is one of tips about how car behave in the moment

16. deak1944

deak1944 Guest

I glance at the dashboard. If you are going to watch it you had better park.

17. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

Ehh next smart arguing.
    OK. How you may glance at the dashboard if you are using non-cockpit view?

18. deak1944

deak1944 Guest

Perhaps it is a language difficulty. "Watch" to me means looking with persistence. So if you are watch the dashboard, you are not watching the road. I am 68. I can feel the speed of the car and and hear the rpms in a car or sim. When I used to drag race I knew when to shift. Your ears are more important than the gauges.

19. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

nvm. I just figured out the ignore feature.

20. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

I agree my English is not perfect. But it is quite clear, that with non-cockpit view you cannot see dashboard at all. Maybe it doesn't matter in drag racing but in most racing series as well as on streets, it does.

Finally. It took you ages to find that common option ;)

1 person likes this.