Roof Riders...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Kristoff Rand, Apr 28, 2012.

1. Kristoff Rand

Kristoff Rand Registered

when you take the screenshot it looks flat... but I have my two side monitors tilted inwards so they point out at an angle. it looks more realistic from my view than the screenshot.

2. Ian-C

Ian-C Registered

I always drive the bonnet view, firstly the screen is so restricting on view that i don't need it cluttered up with the details of the inside of the car, secondly i get a better perception of the speed and with the virtual mirrors i have good all round awareness.

Yes it would be nice to drive inside the car but without a wrap around screen this ain't ever gonna feel right. I also feel that having the awareness improves the racing as i am not always turning in on people as they try to overtake going into corners.

In rF1 i used bumper cam a lot as i could raise the height of the cam so i could see through the windows of cars i was following close but it's not practical in rF2 and if a bumper cam is on the floor as a lot of them seem to be then it's no good for close racing as you cant see past the bumper of the car in front when close and you tend to go straight on at the corners.

3. Tuttle

Tuttle Technical Art Director - Env Lead

100% cockpit for sure!!! :p

4. Duvel

Duvel Registered

cockpit with triple screens, but used cockpit before on single too. It really is the best way to play...

5. ROON

ROON Registered

Cockpit cam all the way. Not sure why some people want to drive a simulator and then chose an unrealistic eye level like the roof cam.

6. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

Cause they had R/C's when they were kids and drove pretty well with them? I didnt.

7. rickrick

rickrick Registered

i think thats a given then must be cockpit view.
    just about to upgrade to 3 x 20 inch 1600 x 1200 monitors and a gtx680
    i think the 4 x 3 aspect with 3 monitors scales the whole viewing area more accurately if you get my drift ;-)
    tried 3 x 1920 x 1080's annd the side screens make the wheels look giant.

8. g7usl

g7usl Registered

Nikos, that plugin was fine until build 69 but not needed now. It causes somersaults on the grid if your still using it now, remove it is my advise.

9. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

Not if u wait for 20 seconds Dave, then u can see earth normally again :D

10. Christopher Snow

Christopher Snow Registered

LOL. Hadn't thought of that modification...although we did use to see some variants of it back in the GPL days I think...where the drivers head was attached to the camera position (but not to his body)--a head floating in space...or maybe it was just a visor...indicated the driver was using something other than a normal viewing position.

===

I can see the value, too, of knowing who, ahead of you, is seeing things "from another perspective"...but it's hard enough to find the track ahead without also having to look past--and even over the top of--a dozen or more "Bhuddas" sitting atop the roofs of the cars ahead of me...so unless they can somehow offer this only as an amusing option, I otherwise would have to vote "no."

But at the same time, I'll tip my hat, 'cause u are at least thinking. <tips hat>

===

"Driver only" view almost always for me, and the only time I ever change it is if the FOV looks wrong...or if the settings just won't allow me to set things up "realistically." I will use hood view only if desperate...and won't drive at all from any other position. I'd rather watch paint dry, I really would.

---

So on that point, RBR still causes me some problems, even the 2012 version...but I can usually find a way to set it up right after half a dozen or so restarts (and a last moment tweak or two). I am using CAMHACK, but it doesn't always work right for me (or I still don't understand quite how to set it up properly, which is more likely).

In any case: Given a choice I ALWAYS drive only from cockpit, if only because I'd be half crazy not to want to SIT INSIDE any fine car I was able to walk around the outside of.

That would be like being married to...Natalie Wood...only to put her up onto a shelf (or sit her up atop a "pedastal")...

...so you could just look at her.

All fine, sure, but only as far as it goes. So why not take her out for a "test drive" too, once in a while?

Seriously..............................

Besides...

...SHE probably wants to get out there too!

===

So get INTO the car, I say. Get into it, and then go spin the tires...and burn some rubber....

CS

Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2012
  11. Jim Beam

Jim Beam Registered

nothing personal Kristoff but i consider this view to be just as unrealistic as a roof rider...your basically sitting in the back seat :D

12. Mulero

Mulero Registered

So you see when you take a screenshot. You've never seen 3 screens?

I do not think there is anything better for SimRacing than 3 screens.

13. Kristoff Rand

Kristoff Rand Registered

yeah the screen shot is not really indicative of what I see from my monitors... the two on the side are tilted in towards me... and plus I'm 6'3" tall... so in a Megane I would be driving from the back seat.

14. ROON

ROON Registered

Forgive my ignorance, but in this video it looks like the guy has the same FOV you'd have running a single monitor? He's not really seeing any more than he would with a single screen setup, so what's the point? :confused:

15. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

reason is to drive watching correct perspective, without fish-eye distortion and with bigger objects ahead of you

16. Mulero

Mulero Registered

In fact if that is seeing much more than a single screen, but as is well configured and recorded with a helmet cam is not well appreciated.

In this other video you can see perfectly well that the field of vision is much larger than a single screen.

The problem with playing with a single screen is that we play with a unreal FOV to compensate for the low field of vision.

This is the best tutorial i could find to set the correctly FOV in rFactor. It's in Spanish but well worth a look even if it is using Google Translate.

http://www.rfactornews.com/showthread.php/13398-Tutorial-FOV-by-Lobezno

17. Christopher Snow

Christopher Snow Registered

My own vote goes for a single large projected image (which I see here)...and when I say large I mean horizontal FOV of 90 degrees if not more, so that the image and onscreen objects are truly life-size.

And then, if I had my druthers, I go it even one better with a 3D projected image--if you've ever seen anything like THAT lifesize, you'll know why it can make your mouth water...and scare the bejeezus out of you too on occasion. :D

====

This is actually my current conundrum, in fact: Whether to sacrifice a bit of resolution in the image I see (currently 2D and 1920 x 1080P) for the best available, reasonably priced 3D solution (basically requiring me to move back down from 1080P to 720P to get 3D). I'm SO tempted, and not only because the cost isn't at all prohibitive these days....

Of course if we could get 1080P 3D at a cost premium of anything up to double, I go for it tomorrow, but I don't think the mfgs are quite there yet.

CS

18. Kristoff Rand

Kristoff Rand Registered

19. John DiFool

John DiFool Registered

Because, as has been stated ad nauseum in a virtually infinite number of threads over the years in many fora (including this thread), all of which I guess you missed, cockpit view is not very realistic either. Try this: tape your windshield in your real-life drive over with cardboard, except for a monitor-sized hole in front of you. Then get back to me about that view being "realistic."

Besides, the "bonnet" cam is a misnomer. Try hitting that key which gives you free mouse look in the game, and pan around. This will allow you to determine exactly what the precise point of view is. In the mods I drive, at least, the "bonnet" cam is actually a windshield cam. Can't get much more realistic than that-my monitor simulates the windshield. What a concept, huh?

20. Jim Beam

Jim Beam Registered

yayy someone else gets it :cool: