Roof Riders...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Kristoff Rand, Apr 28, 2012.

1. Kristoff Rand

Kristoff Rand Registered

Roof Riders are you one? Personally I'm in this for the simulator side. so I love the cockpit. are you a nose driver, a roof rider or a cockpit driver? what advantages do you see for your style of driving?

what I would like is for the model of the driver to show up riding on the roof when a driver is using the roof cam to drive. is this possible? to change where the driver shows up according to what view is selected?

2. Andy_R

Andy_R Registered

Hi Kristoff,
    Personally I love the cockpit driving view, I love the immersion, when I'm flying around Spa in a 60's
    car it feels as much an RPG as driving sim to me.

However I understand some people have trouble with motion sickness from the cockpit view and have to
    use the higher one to avoid it. I guess I'm just lucky in that I can experience the cockpit view with no
    issues.

3. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

Cockpit view all the way. Same goes for flight sims. :D

4. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

LOL. I've never heard about motion sickness from sim

5. Pandamasque

Pandamasque Registered

I've read about Shumi having that problem, not necessarily related to camera position though, just because of the disconnect between visual and other info and the lack of G-forces.

6. lordpantsington

lordpantsington Registered

I get motion sickness from videogames. There is nothing funny about it. Noticed first with Dark Forces. As far as I can tell it is related to frame rate, and for rfactor bumpiness of the track. Under damped 260N/mm springs at Sebring will do it every time, takes about 20-30 minutes before nausea kicks in.

I also roof ride. It gives me a wider view, much more representative of an actual view I see from behind a wheel. Yes, it is a little high, but seeing both fenders is the clincher. I have two eyes so seeing only half the car is not an option. I also don't have 6' long arms so FOV adjustment is also out of the question.

7. Johannes Rojola

Johannes Rojola Registered

Always cockpit, no matter what the game.

8. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

I hope this doesnt start a flame war but most cockpit people are still ceiling or very high upright seating drivers. But they think they have a realistic view lol

9. mikeyk1985

mikeyk1985 Registered

How about cockpit with tripple screens? put that in your pipe and smoke it.

10. Kristoff Rand

Kristoff Rand Registered

11. Sankaracharya

Sankaracharya Registered

Kristoff Rand, what a beautiful shot, only then, I would prefer a cockpit view for my racing, only then.

12. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

Motion sickness is a hard fact for some people. I gave a friend of mine one of my old wheels and a copy of RBR, he was very enthusiastic about it, after a month trying, he gave up because of it. He is a reel driver too, both of us learned how to drive in his dad's 70s Opel Kadet (!!!).
    Driving position always cockpit for me, no sim otherwise, although nose for RBR (cant stand its ugly cockpits).
    Kristoff nice shot, can u really drive that way? It must take ages to get to that turn (assuming u can see where it is)!

13. Marek Klyk

Marek Klyk Registered

I do use 40'' screen about 1m from point of view ,FOV is set to 31 to get better proportions bettwen wheel rim hand and reproduction on screen.This is shot of driving view:
    View attachment 2196
    View attachment 2199

and feel is simply amazing.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 29, 2012
  14. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

40" screen? that wheel must look gigantic, isnt it

15. Marek Klyk

Marek Klyk Registered

Well,its not perfect.Picture shows it quite rim to screen props,G27 rim not on screen cockpit wheel.

16. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

Sorry, it looks very good now.
    Ive tried it, very immersive but much like driving in a tunnel, too little information from surroundings,
    didnt work for me, Kristoff's didnt too so im close to default (just one screen here).

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 29, 2012
  17. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

So, I'm really sorry. I never hot it so maybe that's why I don't understand the issue. I thought it comes from g-forces changes.
    Looks like computer game is great tool to check if some one suffer nausea.

About arguments for roof/nose I've heard a few. for example that real driver's view is not limited in way virtual cockpit does. but I chose cockpit view, because I can read additional info from cockpit movement. And finally I like to feel I'm sitting inside a car.

18. toebee

toebee Registered

Not possible as far as I know. In rf1 you could modify the cockpit.ini file and position your cockpit seating anywhere you wanted. Even outside of the car. Making the game think you where in cockpit view. Personally I could care less what anyone around me uses, as long as it keeps them from crashing into me. I'm having fun in the cockpit while they are missing out...

19. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

have u tried this : http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/3743-Real-Head-Motion-Plugin-1-0
    some people say its very effective against nausea.

20. lordpantsington

lordpantsington Registered

No worries MaXym. I was thinking the same thing, and If I ever go on a plane/long boat ride you can bet I will have Dramamine on hand. With CRT monitors I see the screen flicker and get headaches with anything under 75 Hz. I think in my particular instance it has more to do with the eye tracking motion then the contents of my stomach sloshing around. I've not tried that plugin, I have most head motions completely off. Using the plugin will add motion to what I have, motion is the problem.

Getting back to the subject of view (Not picking on Kristoff here): Kristoff's screen is a perfect example of what I call 6' long arms. Yes you can see both mirrors (as it should be), but the center is so pushed forward that distance is distorted. Sure there are always going to be the purists that state everyone should be driving that view, and ostracize those that are different. But a flawed view one way and a flawed view another are both flawed. Perhaps with 3 monitors it looks better? Perhaps one day the community can mature and move past these petty differences?