real feel?

Discussion in 'Wish Lists' started by Gaz Mclean, Apr 25, 2012.

1. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

It is not 100% good idea. Real racers judge mostly by comparing to real experience which is affected by things we cannot simulate (force changes). So real driver, trying to be serious should answer you that it is unrealistic.
    Point is we have to believe that sim is the sim for sure - not some bunch of fantasy effects. If effects will be generated correctly from physics - it would be satisfying and enough imo. If you start to manipulate with FF effects (or you will know that others do that) you will stop believing that it is reference effect.

2. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

Agree with second point.
    No way with first. I remember reading a lot of times impressions of real race drivers from sims and they actually help with development. Isnt that a fact?

3. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

It is fact. But believe me, mostly it is PR.

4. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

You could have five different real race drivers test your software who come up with three completely different impressions. IMO it should be real life hard data such as telemetry and spec data that should be used and not relying on real life drivers.

Drivers names that are printed next to a products name are just used for marketing and advertising purposes anyways. You could be the best and most experienced race car driver in the world but if this persons idea of a racing sim is something from 1985 would good would he/she be? :p

5. SLuisHamilton

SLuisHamilton Banned

If i understand right, i completely agree with what you said.
    if i had a 6DOF sim motion probably i woulnd´t care much about FFB on wheel.
    Anyone here with this opportunity, try this: take a go kart 125cc. Do a few laps and come back and try to replicate the feeling of loosing grip or the bumps on the wheel. Problaby you won´t remember exactly the experience because so many other forces affect your driving style the the wheel feeling come to background, at least. What only matter is if the direction is too hard or soft.
    Most people here with standard cockpits drives any sim almost like tetraphlegic persons. Even worse because only information we get from the sim came from visual (thats because i think graphics is so important on sim) and the hands on the wheel. And thats because i feel the need a good feeling of loosing front grip effect on the wheel since my body has no information of whats happen with the car in a turn.
    Even in real racing, i think, what you see and what you feel on the wheel is less important to correct the car direction and drive fast than what gforces and all information your body sense from the road in any type of racing car.
    Maybe thats because some fantasy effects are needed on sim racing games.

6. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

Exactly!!!

7. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

exactly. Also it is a reason why some ones call iR FFB suxx. It's because they are simulating power steering build into real cars. In result all sensations may be toned down resulting "worse" feeling of a car.
    But of course it is matter of chosen way. however IMO this way should be picked by devs (doesn't matter supported by some real drivers or no) rather than customers.

8. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

I suppose the answer is somewhere in between as I know real racers use sims to get familiar with tracks, thats no PR

9. hushypushy

hushypushy Registered

A lot of companies use real racing drivers as testers. Professional drivers have a lot of skill and experience in knowing what a real car is supposed to do, and they give their feedback.

However, I'm not aware of any cases where the professional racing driver is the same person as the physics coder. The physics coders could be anybody from a "random" software engineer, to a top-level sim racer--the point is that it's someone very familiar with software.

In the end, it's not those famous professional drivers who actually sit down at a computer to work on the physics files, but their opinions are considered very highly in the process.

And on the other side of the coin, when the product is released, yes, real race car drivers do seem to love playing racing games :D

10. taufikp

taufikp Registered

This is my dream "real feel" :)

11. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

My real-feel dream is to race in real-life in some GT serie ;)

12. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

well, my real-feel dream is to find the courage to do this:http://chilicoke.com/mods/shifterresistance.htm
    to my g25, and ISI model real clutch.
    (im afraid Ill throw up in these moving cockpits, tried it once, that was not a simulator it was a cocktail shaker)

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 27, 2012
  13. mikem

mikem Registered

Shouldn't that be done in the car setup rather than tweaking the FFB?

14. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

BTW: I'm curious about racing serie in which driver may wish changes in power steering. I don't know one. All what driver may request are changes in car behaviour.

15. SLuisHamilton

SLuisHamilton Banned

I don´t know if i´m understanding right your question because of my english, but Rubens Barrichello, now on F-Indy, is complaining about indy cars have steering wheel with no assist. He said it was cheap technology wich may implemented on these cars. Bia Figueiredo too, i´m not sure but i think will race in Brasil with a penske
    Also Rubinho is complaining about no respect about others drives because of excessive bumps on racing lol
    Like he could change american drivers "racing style"

edit, here: http://translate.google.com.br/tran...nte-e-rubinho-pede-direcao-maior.html&act=url

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 27, 2012
  16. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

So what? Both were complaining but did some team change forces generated by steering wheel?
    Some cars have power steering some no. Depends on tech regulation of single serie. Driver agree with rules before he sit into a car. But I don't know a racing serie with settable forces on steering wheel in other way than changing suspension geometry or tyres pressure.

17. Davvid

Davvid Registered

Current F1 for example.