Car Modelling

Discussion in 'Car Modding' started by Mr.Ferret, Apr 24, 2012.

1. Mr.Ferret

Mr.Ferret Registered

gt86.jpg

Not sure if i like it :S might need to start again (again again again again...lol)

2. mianiak

mianiak Registered

That's pretty good for the stage your up to, you can see all the lumps in the smoothing? I think that might be because its too high poly for the stage it is at and you want to be using smoothing groups. It would be good to see the wireframe.
    You might want to get the whole shape of the car done before you go into the fine detail of the bumper though.

Actually, I just remembered, I have a good example of what I mean by starting as low poly as possible.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. Mr.Ferret

Mr.Ferret Registered

Yeah mine is a bit over complicated, i haven't delt with the smoothing groups yet because i still wasn't clear on how to get around the only one smoothing group issue (but i think i figured it out now) It is a bit over complicated for this early stage and a bit messy in some areas (eg to the right of the grill next to the lower driving lights.

86 no mesh smooth.jpg 86 no mesh smooth wire.jpg

4. Mr.Ferret

Mr.Ferret Registered

im rewatching your video of the 559 now and your right, i really need to get the overall shape and poly flow working alot better then add the details in where needed (eg cutting out the lights grill doors etc) at the moment im trying to get my flow to lie on these lines so i can adjust them easily later where as i should come back and add the detail as required.

EDIT: im pretty much following along from your video now just to get a better idea of work flow and techniques,i see how you use the scale tool to move your vertices's around, makes sense so it doest alter their position in the other view-ports, however mine dont seem to move when i select them and try to scale?

Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2012
  5. mianiak

mianiak Registered

Switch the gizmo mode so that the pivot centre is the centre of the viewport ('Use Transform coordinate centre' it is called), select the vert you want as the pivot, go to a solid orth view (front back L/R or top) and hit z to focus that vert to the centre of the screen, you might have to zoom out so all the verts you want to move can be seen (if you need to get in closet to make finer adjustments, use multiple viewports), hit z again to centre it then select all verts you want to move and it should all work then.

6. Mr.Ferret

Mr.Ferret Registered

Thanks alot mate, will give it a crack. Really appreciate all the tips and support you have been giving, a credit to the community :)

7. Kristoff Rand

Kristoff Rand Registered

Mianiak always delivers... he's a big help.

8. Mr.Ferret

Mr.Ferret Registered

86simple.png

Started again, here is the simplified body.

Seems to have the right proportions, even if all my views are different too each other o.0 haha.

9. mianiak

mianiak Registered

Looking good.

Do you know how to align the centre bit so there is no gap or overlap? It's important so you can get a good look at the full thing.

I made a video just incase you don't know.
    http://youtu.be/5jicNDxJr0Y

10. Mr.Ferret

Mr.Ferret Registered

Yeah i usually adjust the vertices's individually by putting the value in the bottom, couldn't be bothered before i took the pic :p but its handy to know there is an automated way, i figured there would be but i just hadn't found it.

11. jochemsenna

jochemsenna Registered

hey guys, I am trying to find an C5-r painting template for the SCC mod, of a single C5-r car for rFactor with a painting template. I really need id so if anybody has it, please let me know! thx

12. Mr.Ferret

Mr.Ferret Registered

Still didnt like it, started again again...again again.... got some better reference images (thank you photo mode in GT5 :) ) much happier with how its going now. Just going through and adding all the detail.
    86 again again...again.png

13. tommy86

tommy86 Registered

hi man, the basic shape is the most important thing to do for a good final clean mesh, so it's good to try & try and finde the best solution :)

I signed some errors that you can fix easily :

View attachment 2322

keep going ;)

14. Mr.Ferret

Mr.Ferret Registered

Awesome thanks mate still a bit tofix up before I start refining and adding the detail

15. tommy86

tommy86 Registered

eheh np it's a pleasure :)

If you need some resources or tutorials about car modelling, you can follow this LINK

16. Mr.Ferret

Mr.Ferret Registered

Hopefuly get a little more done tonight before F1 quali, saw your R18 on virtural R, amazing! now ive got to shoot for that! :p

gt86preivew 2.png

also did a rear pic incase there was some other stuff i missed

Last edited by a moderator: May 12, 2012
  17. mianiak

mianiak Registered

Try and stick to keeping all poly's as squares for this stage, it makes it easier to cut and divide things. Although sometimes it can't be helped, but that piece right at the back to the left of the tail light, should be split in two and that tight triangle bottom right hand corner of the tail light, try and find a different way to model it. But in saying that, I would have not included the holes for the lights at this stage, I'd focus on getting the right shape, then later you can either cut the light hole out or use boolean.

Also, check out the 'turn' function in edge submode and see what it does. Using that, you can avoid having to cut squares in half to keep the shape.

18. tommy86

tommy86 Registered

Thanks man :)

I signed something to fix in the back too, but the shape is good and can be easily detailed on next step.

View attachment 2355

Cheers,
    T.

19. Rony1984

Rony1984 Registered

Hey, is that the FT-86?

20. Mr.Ferret

Mr.Ferret Registered

It sure is, thanks again guys, I cut the headlights to get a better idea of the shape, the hood is a bit tricky with how it intersects with the headlights.