Read this if you have in-game stuttering

Discussion in 'Technical Archives' started by B1K3R, Apr 23, 2012.

1. B1K3R

B1K3R Registered

Recently, I started to get in-game stuttering in most games. At a precise interval (about 5 seconds), the game would stop for a split second which is noticeable while racing.

Whenever I did a windows restore to a previous one, it came fine. In a nut shell, I tried many things (like updating all drivers, change overclocking) etc and I finally managed to find the cause! So in my case it was windows update installing Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 redistributable (x86).

I have Windows 7 64 bit, and when windows update installed Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 redistributable (x86) the stuttering came back.

After uninstalling Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 redistributable (x86), all came fine.

Thought of sharing this.

Cheers

2. jonchard

jonchard Registered

Are you sure you weren't running some moitoring software such as motherboard monitor of HWmonitor ... what you are talking about sounds more like "polling" to me. Have been caught by this one in the past!

3. elbo

elbo Registered

I don't see the link between that piece of advice and graphics performance. BTW what is "polling?"

4. jimcarrel

jimcarrel Registered

elbo,
    Lets say you have a hardware monitoring program running and run rFactor at the same time.

That monitoring program periodically checks the graphics card temp, it might also check the fan speed, and check the same type stuff on your computers processor. It takes processor cycles away from rFactor in order to run those checks.

When it makes a check on the temperature (as an example), it takes processor time away from rFactor (example: tire physic calculations, or graphics screen drawing)

The time it takes to make those checks is called "polling", and can result in a lag in rFactor when it does that. (not to say that that is what the problem is with B1K3R)

5. B1K3R

B1K3R Registered

I do have a motherboard monitor from ASUS (same as my MB) and it is not the problem. Like I said above. I uninstalled MS C++ 2010 redistributable (x86) (NOTE that it's not the 64 bit version!) and it came fine.

Then I installed it again and the stuttering came back. Uninstalled and back to fine.

I do not see the link either and does not make sense like you said. Maybe its affecting some software (in this case maybe the MB monitor), who knows!

It was driving me nuts :)

Cheers

6. jonchard

jonchard Registered

I thought maybe a background program/service relying on Visual C+ might be the difference between the program running or not running, rather than the issue being visual c+ runtime. Personally, this bit of software is installed with nearly ALL game these days that use anything to do with dot net and its multiple frameworks. I've never seen "polling" type interruptions for having it installed.

Thats why i was guessing down this way. I read you are software developer, so i would guess you know what you are talking about!! Nice find.

7. B1K3R

B1K3R Registered

Yeah, what you said makes sense mate. I wonder which program might me affecting it but at least it could be a hint to someone having the same problem :)

Cheers

8. Kristoff Rand

Kristoff Rand Registered

B1K3R you are my new favorite person on the planet... stutter gone. smooth 75fps with everything all the way up. with everything off or all the way down I get 180-200fps... all I did was remove the MS C++ 2010 redistributable (x86) and I have quite a few of them installed. different versions.

thanks alot... alot.

edit.

ok so it's more like 150-185 on the low settings... but it's awesome.
    View attachment 2161

View attachment 2160

the high end is plenty smooth everywhere... ah such a relief.

you are the man...

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2012
  9. elbo

elbo Registered

Well will give this a try then. Do I uninstall all instances of C++ 2010 (x86) I have four listed.
    -elbo

10. jimcarrel

jimcarrel Registered

elbo, do you have stuttering?
    I have the 2005, 2008 and 2010 versions, and no stuttering.

If no stuttering, don't uninstall just to see if it makes rF better. You must be running a program that needs it, or it wouldn't be there.

11. elbo

elbo Registered

Jim,
    Yeah I have a weird kind of micro-stuttering, very perceptible if I use no sync and hardly there when I turn on video sync in game.
    It is not present in rF1 so I don't think it is related to my projector setup. Just curious to see if this will make and difference when not using any sync mode. Apart from that the game runs real good.

12. B1K3R

B1K3R Registered

I'm glad it helped someone! ;)

Cheers

13. Kristoff Rand

Kristoff Rand Registered

I only uninstalled this one. "MS C++ 2010 redistributable (x86)" I have like 8 versions.

very happy.

14. jonchard

jonchard Registered

Elbo, i noticed you have SLi ... me too, but 580's. If i run spa at either max details or min details, i get lag when approaching the first corner and when racing within the pack. Spa REALLY shows this is i have SLi enabled. When i turn off SLi, my stutter is COMPLETELY gone. I have pulled my hair out and never found a resolve. I wondered if you would be kind enough to try spa with 20 cars and max details in both SLi and none SLI and see if you see the same please? Bik3r, i will entertain your idea and try this in the next few days and see if there is any perceivalb difference. Bik3r, any chance you have mother board overclock tools installed? These often poll for temperature .. just a thought. If so, do they still work? :eek:P

15. Kristoff Rand

Kristoff Rand Registered

I think Bik3r is using 1 3gb ATI card.

16. Ricknau

Ricknau Registered

It seems like sorting the installed programs by date (in the "uninstall" window) shows which programs installed the various versions.

Sadly for me the only x86 I have is 2008 (twice). I have 6 total with one not labled as either 86 or 64. I'm tempted to just try experimenting. A "restore" should get me back to sqaure one if things go south.

I wonder why multiple programs need to install this if it is already installed?

17. B1K3R

B1K3R Registered

Yes I do! I will check it out and will let you know! Thanks! I have a feeling it's the culprit!

It's this one: ASUS GPU TWEAK

That is correct :)

18. elbo

elbo Registered

I have always run it with SLI off because I had read that it (either Nvidia or ISI, I don't remember which) had issues with SLI.
    I have those micro stutters at the first corner passed the chicane at the bottom of eau rouge whether I have SLI enabled or not.

19. Kristoff Rand

Kristoff Rand Registered

Nvidia made SLI as in invented... ISI needed Nvidia to update their support of rFactor which I believe they did within the first few weeks of beta. you should be using SLI if you are able.

20. jonchard

jonchard Registered

With latest drivers, latest build and latest mobo drivers, i still get stutters and have to turn OFF sli for smooth gameplay. SPa turns into a lag fest, although other tracks are not so bad. SLi off, no issues. I also confirm that since NV supported RF2, sli performance jumps up, but the stutters i see have nothing to do with the fps .. although what i see is around 10 fps, even though it reports 70-80.

I have uninstalled all isntances of visual c+ lol ... no diff.