Off topic question: Why F1 and Nascar tyres have high height tyre section?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RafBR, Apr 23, 2012.

1. RafBR

RafBR Registered

I was wondering why F1 and Nascar tyres have high height tyre section... anyone knows why?
    To maybe make it more clear, I mean the size of the tyre profile.

regards!

2. gorgias1976

gorgias1976 Registered

In F1, as I know, it helps dissipating heat and also car reaction is less radical, but who knows the real reasons (FIA is so much about politics....)

3. Johannes Rojola

Johannes Rojola Registered

Because low profile tires look like toy car tires.

4. Brian Clancy

Brian Clancy Registered

Its partly because the flex in the sidewall works as part of the 'give' in the suspension, almost acting like a spring, also higher profile tires tend to give more grip on acceleration compared to thin low profile tires. They also tend to get to temp faster and can offer a slightly wider aspect for a given rim width too.... On the other other hand they have a number of drawbacks in terms of direction change response, heave during cornering and a few other things too...

My guess its is it has more to do with 'regulations' to limit performance than anything else :)

5. Kristoff Rand

Kristoff Rand Registered

from what I have found about the Nascar tires, the left side tires have a weak side wall that gives with the turn and the right side tires have stiff sidewalls to lean on. they also now have the inner safety tube.

6. jv27

jv27 Registered

lol

7. RafBR

RafBR Registered

Thanks for all your answers! I think you are right!;)

8. PLAYLIFE

PLAYLIFE Registered

In F1, it was a regulation stipulated many moons ago and has never been changed but there apparently is no reason for it being the way it is other than it hasn't been changed. That is to say, there is no technical reason for the large sidewalls.

9. blakboks

blakboks Registered

Michelin wanted to do low-profile tires on 18-inch rims for F1 starting in 2013 if they had got the contract back in 2010/2011. If I recall correctly, that was actually one reason they didn't get the contract. Apparently, going with larger wheels causes more strain on the gearboxes due to the added weight. Amongst other things.

10. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

I remember reading that tall tyres are essential in formulas as they, formulas, tent to sit as close to the ground as possible. In this case, springs must have very small range or the cars will hit the ground all the time. So, having so stiff springs, the cars behave as wooden planks as far as driver is concerned. For driver to have a minimum comfort, they use high wall tyres, so actually tire is part of the suspension.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2012
  11. blakboks

blakboks Registered

So, moral of the story: Low-profile tires are "performance" tires is a marketing "myth". For the street, yes, they may be preferred performance-wise (tires heat up quicker, faster response)--but for flat-out, top-of-the-line racing, not the 'best'. It's like brightly-colored brake calipers, it "looks" like it's faster :D

12. Saabjock

Saabjock Registered

If memory serves me right, Formula1 regulations dictate that the wheel be no larger than 15" in diameter....hence the larger sidewall profile.

13. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

I think the subject is monopostos generally, not just F1 and anyway regulations have changed a lot over the years but tire walls in monopostos remain high since the 60s.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2012
  14. hushypushy

hushypushy Registered

No, not really.

Strictly for the STREET, you do want higher profile tires, it'll smooth out the bumps. Tiny sidewalls (or run-flats) make the ride harsher.

But for sporty street or track use, you definitely want shorter, stiffer sidewalls; this is no myth. Bigger, softer sidewalls roll over easier, thus reducing your contact patch.

For pure racing...well, short sidewalls are still better overall. Look at most forms of racing, what do they use?

[​IMG]

Actually, the rules dictate 13" in Formula One. IndyCar is 15" though.

15. smbrm

smbrm Registered

There are elements of correctness in many if not all of the replies to this question, but this particular quote about sidewall flex being part of the equation is particularly relevant. Tyres contribute to the exercise in many ways. Tyres do have a spring rate, albeit way higher than suspension springs. Side wall design, tread to side wall hinge characteristics, flex at the bead and pressure all contribute(in addition to other things) to the spring characteristics of a tyre. Low profile F1 tires were tried in the early 70's in F1 to reduce frontal area, but they led to extreme vibrations that would actually rattle the eye balls of the driver! When ground effects came in, maintaining a stable platform became important and corner spring rates increased. This lead to rebalancing of the relationship between the spring rate characteristics of the tyre and the suspension. Tyre diameter grew on the same minimum 13" wheel size to allow for better optimization of the system. In some cases, if I remeber correctly 15" wheels were even tried on the F1 fronts.

Low profile street tyres allow tyre manufacturers to generate better cornering feel with shorter stiffer sidewalls to create a sportier ride with similar overall tire diameter. In this case tire diameter is limited by the car dimensions.

Low profile street tyres is the marketing opportunity for delivering something customers appreciate while improving product margins. Desireable characteristics come at a price! I believe the attraction for Michelin was in using F1 to increase the enthusiasm for low profile tyres and would allow the tyre manufacturer to more visibly be contributing to road relevant technology.

Overall the tyre design is a function of many things. But the outcome is still a balance of the specific requirements for the specific application.

16. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

Impressive post!
    So I was right to vote for you for the Fanatec wheel;)

regards, nikos

17. lespaul20

lespaul20 Registered

Smaller wheels also limit the size of brakes that can be used which is a performance limiter.

18. smbrm

smbrm Registered

Thanks Nikos, your support was appreciated, but unfortunately I came up short in the poll! But that doesn't mean I can't contribute in other ways.

Stephen

19. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

Sad cause you were for world peace as well.Perhaps you should add love and flowers?;)
    Close race though.
    And yes, seems you are more than qualliffied to assist us with your knowledge.Cheers Stephen.

Regards, nikos

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2012