Formula Ford

Discussion in 'Car Modding' started by fireeyes, Apr 20, 2012.

1. rer8

rer8 Registered

I am not a modder, but from what I can see in the attached Thumbnail, this project is off to a great start. I have a friend who owns and races the FF in the Denver area. With speeds ranging up to 140 m/h, this portends to be a great addition to the rF2 Car family. I am really looking forward to this cars release. It should be a lot of fun at many of the add on tracks that have already been added to rF2. Thanks for sharing.
    RR

2. jtbo

jtbo Registered

Older ones seems to have some kind of freedom in suspension design, so probably not so easy to get single solution when there is none of such?

Here is lot of stuff in document at least so one might get some good bits from there, even there might be differences. Sometimes not exact data is accessible, but looking here and there one can form some sort of picture.
    http://www.camsmanual.com.au/pdf/02_race/b.%201st%20Category/RA13_Formula_Ford_2012-1.pdf

Haven't looked very much into this one, but what I saw was something that can be useful.
    http://www.f1technical.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=8975&start=15

3. call-911

call-911 Registered

Glad to see you post in on here, Rich!!! ;)

4. fireeyes

fireeyes Registered

thanks for the links jtbo... great stuff. Particularly around tire data in the forum post. Didn't realize some of that was even available. I have a good idea of the pickup points on the rear of the new ford based on transmission blueprints. The wishbones and the front pivots are a mystery however. Would like to get actual data but it may be difficult considering the sensitivity of such things. Wish it was spec and things might be more open.

Hi Keith, yea I lurk around in here quite a bit. Lots of good things to learn. rf2 isn't the same engine as the first that's for sure.

5. jtbo

jtbo Registered

There was one broken link at forum post, it is par of this I believe:
    https://www.tut.fi/ms/muo/tyreschool/

This is correct link to same place where link on that forum post was pointing:

https://www.tut.fi/ms/muo/vert/11_tyre_as_car_component/index.htm

That is relatively good stuff too.

I'm lacking a lot of suspension data for cars I'm working with, estimating from photos taken from angle is just not enough, but at the moment for many vehicles that is all I have, for some not even that, so it is endless hours of research to find some bit which can be even related to give tiny bit of push to correct direction.

6. RSJracing

RSJracing Registered

Hi !

Sorry if i inter rub in your topic!
    I would just like to say if somebody would need some help in testing the formula ford´s, maybe im the right kind of guy. I´ve been a mecanich on these types of cars in Denmark the last few years, and have datalogged on plenty types of formula fords.

Please let me know if i can help in any way!

7. Kknorpp001

Kknorpp001 Banned

Whoa. Cool!

8. fireeyes

fireeyes Registered

RSJracing, thanks for the offer. Sent you a PM. Would be interested in learning more about the cars you work on... and the associated data.

9. fireeyes

fireeyes Registered

12.4_sm.png lrq_12.4_sm.png rfq_12.4_sm.png
    finally got a few minutes to work in this. Body modeling mostly done. Will have to clean up a bit after collapse for A load but I'm happy enough with it. On to the cockpit. Going to do the suspension last in the hopes I get some "good-enough" reference/data.

10. Slothman

Slothman Registered

Looking good Fireeyes.

What sort of reference data are you requiring??

11. fireeyes

fireeyes Registered

Hey Slothman, for the suspension reference I'm looking for some general wishbone dimensions and setup info. I know these guys have different suspensions per race track so it's difficult to get anything definitive. Just want something to get me into the ballpark... both for the physics development and modeling. I may try to do some camera match to get close if I can find some good overhead shots at different angles.

Track and wheelbase info would be nice as well but again it's probably different at each track. The rule specify min and max dimensions so that at least gives me an operating range but it's pretty large and I doubt they vary that much. A base "generic" setup would work just fine but that will be difficult to find. Will probably have to develop one with a suspension guru in mitchell software or whatever.

12. fireeyes

fireeyes Registered

Hi I'm back... took quite a long break. Just wanted to post some updates since I noticed there was some interest in the ecoBoost car. I've done a couple others to join it (see below). Finally getting around to finishing them up and putting them in game. Will hopefully be posting the steady progress over the coming weeks/months. Hopefully not years but who knows. Life happens.

rf01_grab.png fictonalLivery.jpg

13. Daytona 675

Daytona 675 Registered

Nice to see the progress, good project.

14. Rik

Rik Registered

nice work! Thanks fireeyes.

15. Ricklandia

Ricklandia Registered

Looking very nice.
    It would be nice to see if anyone takes up modding a "Spec Racer Ford" chassis. Very similar in performance to these but with a full body. As the name suggests they are a spec series, long popular in American SCCA racing - low cost to get into racing but excellent fun for close racing.

Someone did a very nice job of modding these for RF1, but unfortunately I don't know who it was.
    http://www.specracer.com/

16. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

Best. Necropost. Evar.

Glad to see the project isn't dead and I'm glad to see a low down force beginners mod. It looks like it'll be fun to drive.

17. fireeyes

fireeyes Registered

Gauges

Long haul getting the DB1 textured. Have the body and most of the cockpit textured and in game. Currently working on the gauges... two options; round classic and a digital dash as upgrade.
    gauges.PNG stack_dash.PNG

I'm curious how others have setup their gauges/dash particularly in regards to the glass. I'm using Cube Map T1 for the glass right now and it appears to be working in the garage/spinner. Any insight into how you've done your gauges would be appreciated. Done lots of textures for gauges but haven't setup the materials before.

18. alpha-bravo

alpha-bravo Registered

+1 Thx man :)

19. call-911

call-911 Registered

FF are not that close in performance to SRF unless 5-10 secs a lap is considered close, but a very popular SCCA class indeed. Beau Buisson did the SRF for rF1. I asked him about doing it for rF2 and he doesn't have any interest in doing it for rF2, but said it was free to be converted by anyone who would want to. http://www.rfactorcentral.com/detail.cfm?ID=Spec Racer Ford

Great to see the VanDiemen FC being modeled!!!!

20. porter_online

porter_online Registered

Hi, I have a van diemen rf06 formula ford.... im happy to provide some physical measurements and track data to help out.