[REL] ethone/Virtua_LM: Fuji Speedway 2012 v1.04

Discussion in 'Locations' started by ethone, Apr 12, 2012.

1. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

Sorry, massive FPS problems, due to shadows presumably, are still there.

2. ethone

ethone Registered

Well what are your settings? Have you tried Shadows on High instead of Full? Track Detail on High or even medium instead of Full?

3. Hoschi

Hoschi Registered

Nice ethone, thx for this update ! :)

4. Mydriaz

Mydriaz Registered

Thank you for this update :)
    Looks very nice !
    Just a thing, on intermediate layout, in single player mod, AI cars brake a lot while passing finish line (already there in V1.0)

5. ethone

ethone Registered

I think you mixed up Fuji and Topeka. Fuji doesn't have an intermediate layout and the AI works fine on both layouts.
    Topeka on the other hand... thanks for pointing it out. :)

6. TiTaN

TiTaN Registered

can't install fuji 1.0 because other 2 mods are using it. will be a mess when more and more mods are coming out. :S

7. ethone

ethone Registered

Yup, I noticed it as well after some initial feedback and posted in the components subforum. I hope this kind of issue will be sorted during the beta and we'll get a way to update tracks without messing up all rfmods/vmods that use it. This system is still in its infancy.

8. Radar

Radar Registered

Yeah I have to agree with Marc, still a massive FPS sucker and my machine is far from slow. I can run all other tracks on Full with pretty good FPS, at Full this is unplayable. I reduce to High and it's better but still FPS hungry. I shouldn't have to reduce the game quality just for one track.

9. ethone

ethone Registered

I need some more feedback or all I know is that some people wish it would run better than it does.
    What settings? Track Detail? Shadow Detail? Sun occlusion? Road reflection? Environment reflection?

What's your system specs that are "far from slow"? VRAM? CPU? Without knowing these things I can't even begin to guess what you're limited by.

It's running fine for me on a a quad-core AMD at 3.6ghz, 8GB of system RAM and a nvidia GTX460 with 1GB of vRAM.

10. Hoschi

Hoschi Registered

Hi ethone,

some Micro freezes on All Details on, but 60 FPS on my system ! When i set Track Detail=High, Shadow=High, Texture Detail=High, Shadows=High, Environment reflection=Off, Road reflection=on, Sun occlusion=on, Blurshadow=on, rest on ALL it runs ok, but not perfect !
    When i set Shadow = off its a litle bit smoother.

11. Hoschi

Hoschi Registered

I dont now, that is a Prob, i have one file in my cbash folder --> FUJI2012GP.cbash for all other tracks i have two files ! *.rrshd

An Friend has both files for Fuji. FUJI2012GP.cbash and FUJI2012GP.rrshd

12. Tosch

Tosch Registered

Hi ethone,
    i can run the track with all settings to the max, hdr on, 4xAA, 16xAF without any problems. I made a quick comparison with other tracks. I used the GT-Mod with 19 AI cars in a pratice session at 10am.
    [table="width: 500, class: grid, align: left"]
    [tr]
    [td]Track[/td]
    [td]Mills[/td]
    [td]Fuji[/td]
    [td]Brianza[/td]
    [td]Mid-Ohio[/td]
    [/tr]
    [tr]
    [td]Frames[/td]
    [td]35-50[/td]
    [td]60-85[/td]
    [td]29-48[/td]
    [td]52-80[/td]
    [/tr]
    [tr]
    [td]VRAM usage[/td]
    [td]1265[/td]
    [td]1654[/td]
    [td]1332[/td]
    [td]940[/td]
    [/tr]
    [tr]
    [td]RAM usage[/td]
    [td]1800[/td]
    [td]1352[/td]
    [td]1887[/td]
    [td]1341[/td]
    [/tr]
    [/table]

Looks like Fuji consumes a lot of vram. My graphics card is a Nvidia GTX275 with 1792MB vram. Total vram for rFactor, as shown in the config, is 4060MB.

13. ethone

ethone Registered

That's an incredibly useful comparison Tosch. And surprising too, to see Fuji having the best fps! :D

Is the VRAM usage a peak value or is it constant once the track is loaded?
    Which tool(s) are you using? I'd love to be able to have an eye on stuff like VRAM usage during development to know which areas are borderline and where I could spend some more.

Fuji is a bit of an odd case because it needs very high clip planes for, you guessed it, Mount Fuji to be visible. The very long front straight also doesn't really help with clipping and LOD distances. I'd still love to improve the performance because due to its nature it's the perfect test case to find out what helps and what doesn't.
    From v1.0 to v1.01 I worked with ago0 (thanks again!) on making it work better for him. In his case the bottleneck was the CPU and I found some ways to ease the load there. I'm presuming now people are running into other bottlenecks or hadn't spoken up before.

14. Tosch

Tosch Registered

The VRAM usage is constant when the track is loaded. When i add additional AI cars the value grows by 5 to 30 MB per car (depends on mod and skin). When i reach my physical VRAM value (1792MB) it doesn't grow further. Looks like the additional data is stored in the virtual VRAM (4060MB).
    I use MSI Afterburner to display GPU data on my Logitech G15 display, but u can display the information on your monitor as well.
    See top left on the first screenshot. This time without any AI cars.

FujiAfterburner.jpg
    Afterburner-settings.JPG
    AfterburnerStatistics.JPG

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 20, 2012
  15. MJP

MJP Registered

Just to back up what Tosch has said in terms of FPS I'm getting around a 9% improvement over v1.0 but the VRAM usage is still way above other tracks. With my normal settings Fuji is using ~800MB compared to Monaco ~480MB despite both tracks having similar average FPS. One thing I have noticed is that both Fuji and Brianza seem to present a more consistent load, i.e. the difference between max and min FPS is less pronounced compared to other tracks.

16. Maug

Maug Registered

Thanks a lot but i'm stuck. I'm also told by the game i can't uninstall fuji(6 mods using it) and same for Topeka(3 mods).

17. MJP

MJP Registered

You don't need to uninstall the old ones, the vmods that require them should still work. If you want to run the new versions then you'll have to use All Tracks & Cars (offline) or make/get a vmod to run online.

18. ethone

ethone Registered

Are you sure that works MJP? During development I ran into issues if I had two versions of the same track installed, say Fuji v1.0 and Fuji v1.01.

19. MJP

MJP Registered

I have both versions of Fuji and Topeka installed, which version shows depends on which series I have selected. Managed to join a Topeka server (v1.0) with no apparent problems, that's not to say there aren't any issues, just haven't run into any yet.

20. Radar

Radar Registered

I'm at work at the moment so I can't give the vram data at the moment..

Physical specs. i7 x58 chipset, 12gb ram (x64 Win 7) 3.5gb of total video memory (2 gfx cards, one is ATi 5900 series). I'm running the game on 1 monitor 1920 x 1080 at the moment...

I run all details on Full, shadows on, reflections on, Sun occlusion on, envirenment reflection on, HDR etc etc (as I said, everything is on and Full).

I'll give you the rest of the details when I am at home.