New nVidia drivers have FXAA in the control panel - Question for the Devs...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by buddhatree, Apr 10, 2012.

1. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Wrong, I'm arguing, or rather trying to tell people that for those having issues with, low frames, inconsistent frames, stuttering smoothness etc etc to try and turning off aa and transparency/adaptive, and give fxaa either from ingame or injector tool or nvidia control panel a shot, as some people may be happy with the image quality this way. If not try aa on level 1 or 2 (which usually equates to 2x or 4x) with transparency/adaptive off and keep fxaa on (from either ingame, injector tool or nvidia control panel). If still not happy and want higher amounts of aa turn it up higher and if you have the horsepower turn transparency/adaptive on as well, anf if you do do that then try turning fxaa off to save some frames as the transparency/adaptive should take car of what the fxaa takes care of without chances of texture blur.

The thing is I see so many people complain about frames, smoothness etc, then you see they are running level 4 or 5 aa which is prob like 16x or more aa, then they have fxaa on aswell, then on top of that they even got transparency/adaptive on....

I'm just trying to tell people you may not need high levels of aa plus fxaa plus transparency/adaptive,

2. bigtabs

bigtabs Registered

Your thread title: Fxaa on and aa? Pick 1!!

What you said: As you guys can see from some examples sometimes FXAA wins in image quality sometimes 4x aa wins, (FXAA will pretty much always win by a fair margin though in regards to which affects fps the least). You can clearly see that FXAA is made as an alternative to aa.

What you said: No thats not "it". FXAA can be added on top of AA, sure but thats not the point of fxaa, the point of fxaa is to have a cheap form of aa, so that consoles and computers that cant handle real aa can still have little to no jaggies but with some texture blur at times.

I really don't mind you admitting you are wrong and changing your mind, but please don't try to make me believe that you never said what you said in the first place. Especially when it is written in black and white right here.

3. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

I think he is right.
    FXAA is made as alternative to AA. Even if may be used on top of AA it is not a goal it has been designed for.
    FXAA is the method which may help on configs which are not powerful enough for AA. It is a reason why has been developed.

4. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

I haven't changed my mind anywhere or admitted I was wrong anywhere

Thank you :)

5. bigtabs

bigtabs Registered

Maxym, I largely agree with what you said, but here is the thing:

Spinelli actually created a thread to tell people not to use both. Now he is denying he did that, even though the thread title explicitly says it.

Aside from Spinellis original motivations in this discussion, there are just two things I feel are being mis-represented:

1. PPAA mixed with MSAA does in fact have an important place in PC gaming. I have posted comparison screenshots that highlight this perfectly.

2. It is totally irrelevant that PPAA was initially designed for consoles that have limited filtering ability, but a relative abundance of CPU power. The only thing that is relevant is it's application today. Repeating over and again that it's initial intention was to be an alternative to MSAA is ludicrous. What matters is what it actually does for us right now.

[​IMG]

6. jonchard

jonchard Registered

Love the cartoon, that's me all over!! ROFL!

7. bigtabs

bigtabs Registered

I must apologise for my behaviour recently Spinelli. It really doesn't matter all that much if we have different opinions on something that is so unimportant as this. I've been quite argumentative and I really shouldn't have been.

Have fun with rF2.

8. juggle

juggle Registered

+1

9. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

no problem, you too