Realtime tire-temps on a DTM Racecar

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TJones, Apr 8, 2012.

1. TJones

TJones Registered

Hi, i found THIS interesting contribution from german TV, which shows in realtime surface temperature taken from the tyres of a DTM car at Hockenheimring.
    What you can see are some comparable behavior to rF2, fast temp rising while skidding in corners or the spinning inner wheel at exit of hairpin, and cooling on the straights, so i would say rF2 tyremodel isn´t to far off (if you exclude those of the Formula Renault 3.5). :)
    However atm tyretemps are not influenced by enviroment or track temperature and tiretemp´s at rF2 are generally a little to low, maybe simply to hard compound.

You can also take a look at ANOTHER thread about the same topic.

Happy Easter. :)

1 person likes this.
  2. Paul_Ceglia

Paul_Ceglia Registered

pretty cool ;)

3. Rtsrcool

Rtsrcool Registered

That was really cool, thanks for the find!

TJones, i really like your avatar! Thats also pretty cool! Happy Easter! ;)

4. TJones

TJones Registered

Thank´s guys :)

About my avatar, that´s a picture of Stefan Bellof, by far the most promising german autoracing talent in the 80´s. Sadly he lost his live much to early, at an accident at the famos "Eau Rouge" bend of Spa Francorchamps driving a porsche962.

5. can`t wait 4 rF2

can`t wait 4 rF2 Registered

6. Rtsrcool

Rtsrcool Registered

He also set what can be accepted as the fastest average Speed on a lap at the Nordschleife! Over 200km/h average and in 6:11,13 Min on a slightly shortened track. Qualifying for the 1000KM 1983, driving the 956 !
    He was just the BEST!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LV8ZFs9O8LI

Manfred Winkelhock should also not be forgotten, he died just 3 weeks before him at Mosport, driving the 962 too i think!

I believe there is a famous video of an onboard Lap in the 956 from the 1000Km '83! Wasn't Bellof though and there were no tire temperatures! :)

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 9, 2012
  7. jubuttib

jubuttib Registered

Had to take a closer look, at first I thought it was a shark. The text looked like teeth. =)

The tyre temps aren't far of but they still need to add heat generated by rolling resistance and loading the tyres etc. Currently the only thing that heats them up is slip, so it's very very hard to get them up to temp without abusing the tyres in a way that you really shouldn't. You can drive like a lunatic, sliding through every corner, locking up the brakes, spinning the rears at every exit and get the tyres to 100 degrees or so, but if you then start driving like you really should the temps go down and after a lap you're back at 40-50 degrees.

This is the only thing keeping me from playing rF2 at the moment. I can't really do any setup work when I need to drive "wrong" to get any heat into the tyres, and the grip is always going to be off until the tyres reach their intended working temperature. When it's added in a future update I'll rack up thousands of miles in very short order. =)

8. PLAYLIFE

PLAYLIFE Registered

Stefan Bellof was perhaps of the same mould as Gilles Villeneuve, certainly had fantastic car control. I'm sure with more experience he'd have gone on to achieve great things.

Monaco 1984 was always touted as the 'the first glimpses of Senna' which unfortunately overshadows Stefan Bellof's 3rd place in the same race. What people don't realise, is that had the race not been red flagged, Bellof would probably have won as he was catching both Prost and Senna hand over fist.

9. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

Yep!

Try the 370Z at mills gt layout. The tires don't get a chance to rest and it's quite alot of fun. You can actually keep heat in the tires and have to watch you're driving after two or three hard laps.

10. jubuttib

jubuttib Registered

Mills GT layout is what I use most, and it's the same there. Unless I'm purposefully braking too hard to lock the tyres or turning the wheel too much to make the fronts scrub like hell, or coming out of the corners sideways, the temps are not going up. Well, all in due time.

11. Paul_Ceglia

Paul_Ceglia Registered

wow i never realised that...im still an sim noob LOL. Ive been working on tyres for a while now in rfactor2 and noticed if i put max kPa pressures in the wheels i driver faster don't what that means though lol and like you said with the temps your 100% correct. I was playing gtr2 yesterday and noticed that the tires where continuing to warm throughout the entire lap and had to adjust pressure to get them right and i though something was wrong because i never noticed that in rfactor2 so i was confused ;) but now i realized that gtr2 is correct and rfactor2 still has some work to be done with the tyres but i have no doubt that they will get it right no way they spent that much tire on the tire model not to finish it......can't wait!

12. Michael Borda

Michael Borda Car Team

Changelog from the From readme.txt of Build 68-69.

UPDATE 2 Changelog (March 14, 2012):
    It's disabled on vehicles that do not include the proper line in the TGM tyre files, so far the only content from ISI to include the proper heating are the Nissan 370Z and GTR.

From the latest rTrainer files (not included in the 2nd update)
    DampingHeatEnergy=(1.0,0.51,0.49) // (Fraction of ring damping heat into sidewall (should probably always be 1.0), fraction of bristle damping heat into carcass, fraction of bristle damping heat into tread) the 2nd and 3rd values should probably always add up to 1.0

13. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

I knew there was something different with the 370Z. Awesome! I haven't put much time in with the GTR.