Potential Sli stuttering with 296.10 and build 69

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jonchard, Apr 7, 2012.

1. jonchard

jonchard Registered

No, i bet its SLi 100%. Could you go and try spa with 20 AI. Try it with SLI on and watch HORRENDOUS lag even when they are out of sight. Then turn SLI off and watch the half FPS but new found smoothness. I really hope you can take 5 mins out to try it please.

SPA shows this terribly!!

2. D1Racer

D1Racer Registered

I will try this in a bit. However I doubt my card could handle it without SLI at the settings I run (9800GT 512MB).

I really notice the stuttering more on my 1920x1080 screen than on my 1280x1024 screen which makes me think it's my cards low amount of memory.

I will try your test now though.

3. D1Racer

D1Racer Registered

I just done a few laps at Spa with 20 AI. 1st lap practice to load up the textures. Then a race starting at the back of the grid. Once the race got going and my FPS stabilised at 60FPS (from 20 at back of the grid) i honestly did not notice any stuttering.

My settings are 1280x1024, everything on/full except shadows low, FXAA/HDR on. Ingame AA off. Ingame Sync off.

NVCP settings VSync Adaptive, pre rendered frames 2.

Another thing, I noticed a pretty big improvement in smoothness upgrading from 4GB DDR3 1333 generic RAM, to 8GB DDR3 1866 G.Skill RAM.

4. jonchard

jonchard Registered

Have just tried SPA and SPA highlights this problem terribly. If anyone with SLI on a 5xx series SLi setup could test i would be grateful. Log onto SPA, set 20 AI and compare the difference between SLI on and SLi off. Its night an day lag-orama for me!! Nothing makes it better than to switch off SLi. Its a little more than microstutter when trying this track. I was using 3 diferent types of AI car. Whilst i was driving F1 1960.

5. jonchard

jonchard Registered

Thx D1Racer, maybe its a gen 5xx type problem. Grateful you tried.

6. D1Racer

D1Racer Registered

No worries. Hopefully this issue get's worked out during BETA updates. I will be holding off on upgrading to 5XX series for now though, seeing as my 9800GT's are doing ok. I might hold out for more 6XX options.

7. jonchard

jonchard Registered

Vsync might be showing your stutters IF you have 60hz screens and a very fast system. WHen set to 120hz on 120 screens these efects dissapear. The trade off is generally that vsync off shows tearing ... its an expensive trade, to the point that i had to upgrade to 120Hz as the 60hz stutters made my 580 SLI investment look pathetic! PS, a crt would have fixed the issue if vsync'ed at 85 or more!!

8. jonchard

jonchard Registered

FINALLY FOUND IT (the stuttering fix) .. and do i feel a little silly.

ENVIRONMENTAL REFLECTIONS for some reason kills my Dual 580s in SLi.

When i drop to single card i have no such issues. All other settings to the absoulte max with single or dual. ENVIRONMENTAL reflection off and i have a good time.

Can anyone highlight why? Or can ISI double check what they are doing in SLi thats different to single card? Oh and guys, before you flog me to death, i fully understand its beta.