AUTOSIMSPORT rFactor 2 Article!!!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Spinelli, Apr 5, 2012.

1. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

"So far, ISI seems to have forgotten everything they've ever learned about physics and force feedback. The Formula 2 car in rF2 has the polar moment of a 1948 Buick Roadmaster and the should-be agile Megane handles more like a double-decker London omnibus. The force feedback can be numb at best and gelatinous at worst. With the latest build ... and despite the ministrations of Tim Wheatley (the most helpful among the ISI crew) ... many users had trouble with the install (pre-owned DLC sometimes vanishing in the process)"

"(For that matter, rFs's graphics, in some respects, look worse than some of the original rFactor mods; particularly the cockpits.) Neither one will ever come close to pCARS' graphics, though,"

"Oh great, in five years we'll have six good mods, two-hundred half assed mods, and another thousand mods poorly ported without permission from F1C or whatever."

For there letters of the month they post this

"whoever designed the 60-era f1 cars has created a fantasy catoon version of what these cars were like. They did not go in a 4-wheel drift down the straightaways!!!"

ARE THESE GUYS ON HEROIN???!!!!!!!!!!!!????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Especially the first part about the general physics and ffb, and on how the f2 and megane drive, WOW. Then they say rf2 graphics will never come close to pCARS. Ya NEVER, NOT EVEN REMOTELY CLOSE, like as if its already set in stone or maybe he just knows the future. The game is in BETA and modders have barley scratched its surface, look at the high end rFactor 1 mods compared to the stock rFactor stuff, what an idiot. Maybe not better than pcars but im sure some modders can get close, plus its a different look, rf2 is a more realistic raw gritty look, project cars looks gorgeous but like its been photoshopped to death for an art gallery.

Ive never seen an article so un-professional and so anti-a certain product. Thank God this is their last free digital issue and from now on are charging $2 per issue because this is the last time im going to ever read this magazine again anyways (used to be a fan of it before).

2. LeChuck

LeChuck Registered

What can you do... Internet it's great but sometimes gives space to people like those.

3. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

Just one man's opinion. "the megane a double decker bus" says it all right there. I wouldn't pay too much attention to this guy. It's the internet and anybody can start a blog or whatever. I like rF2 and he doesn't. Big deal really.

"Oh great, in five years we'll have six good mods, two-hundred half assed mods, and another thousand mods poorly ported without permission from F1C or whatever."

With his crystal ball he should be playing the lottery instead of charging two bucks for his read. He'd be much better off financially me thinks. :p

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 5, 2012
  4. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Ya but this isnt some random article, autosimsport has been around for a few years, in that same article they were one of the if not the first to test Asetto Corsa, they had an interview with Dave Kaemmer (head guy of physics/tyre model for papyrus sims and iRacing), etc. I wish it was just some random online article that noone read...

5. Dave Millard

Dave Millard Registered

I have been around sim racing for years... I don't read it. I don't listen to anyone's opinion on physics, I have driven cars and know what I feel is realistic.

6. navorsky

navorsky Registered

Listen to this man and you'll be fine...

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

7. bastins

bastins Registered

Clearly they have something against rFactor and/or ISI. It's like a Call of Duty fan's opinion on Battlefield, or vice versa. You're better off taking them with a grain of salt, or just ignoring them altogether.

I do have to agree with them on the mods, though. Modding in rFactor 1 has been a mess, with most mods obnoxiously taking over your game as full-conversions. I've only recently figured out that you have to run entirely separate rFactor installations for each mod you want to use, or else your game will be a total hodgepodge. Hopefully modding in rFactor 2 will be much better.

8. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

Yeah we can't go off on this guy because then it just gives him more fuel for his fire. I read the article out of curiosity and that only. I noticed it was the same dude who did a review before beta was released to us. He's changed his tune quite a bit since then. lol.

The issue before this one had a interview with Stefano Casillo and it was poorly written. I couldn't understand if he was talking or if Stefano was answering. I don't see this guy working for the BBC anytime soon. :p

9. Hagen Tröger

Hagen Tröger Registered

it's an opinion and quality and substance are prevailing :)

10. thuGG

thuGG Registered

Did you bother to read the whole article?
    Have you noticed that the article is written in ironic/sarcastic way?
    It also slams pCARS, GTR3, Asseto Corsa and iRacing.
    The article points out usual "wrongs" of each of this sim.

And I have to agrre about the mods, we will have hundreds of crap and medicore stuff, and only a handful of good mods.

About the graphics, don't expect it to become significantly better than what you currently see.

11. Hagen Tröger

Hagen Tröger Registered

but everybody has the free choice to choose a HQ Mod, and more than one :)

so my question, there is the relevance of this fact?

12. Yarach

Yarach Registered

They seem like a bunch of arrogant Graphics wh**** to me. rFactor has the best engine out there, no one has ever managed it to deliver this performance for this low price. KEEP IT UP ISI!!!

For the graphics part, keep in mind that every polygon and every post-processed effect will take a huge ammount of your computer's calculating time.
    As rFactor does a lot of calculations on the physics, it is hard to improve the rendering time per frame unless you use some clever tricks. Just take a look on Shift 2, the huge lag is due to the ammount of post processing. This exact same problem might occure when C.A.R.S. is finished.

13. Alric

Alric Registered

The way they have constructed that mini review shows their immaturity. Sounds like its been written by a bunch of 11 year old kids after an argument with their mums jacked up on fizzy drinks.

I can't believe anyone could believe what they have put when hands down rf2 even in this early stage is the best sim out there in terms of physics and car handling. I've been racing real race cars since 2008 now and nothing comes close to rf2 for driving feel.

To be honest its best that people like that don't use rf2 as it's beyond their limited understanding of how a real car on the limit really reacts.

14. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Yes I read just about the whole issue, like I said I used to be a fan of these guys the past couple years.

The thing about all the half assed mods and stolen content was the only part that was from the "sarcastic" article. The...

"ISI seems to have forgotten everything they've ever learned about physics and force feedback. The Formula 2 car in rF2 has the polar moment of a 1948 Buick Roadmaster and the should-be agile Megane handles more like a double-decker London omnibus. The force feedback can be numb at best and gelatinous at worst"...

...was part of a serious article, not that stupid "devil guy" article you are referring too.

Yes we have lots of less than steller mods, your right BUT to say that only a handful are real good? PLEASE LOL

I'll remember this.

Imagine an rFactor 1 beta track/car, compared to lets say a Virtua LM track or something like that. Plus you got the famous, or should I say infamous lol Hudson Kerr textures from back in the day, SLN textures, culmone67 textures, and others. Some good HDR ENB mods/settings which actually improve the game rather than just over saturating it with tons of bloom like some do. You even have some shader packs that can be taken advantage of that look pretty damn good.

15. Bart S

Bart S Member

In my opinion the writer of the artical obviously hasnt spent enough time with the game. Probably played it on an old gfx card and more than likely amd hence the critisism, i just upgraded to a gtx 680 an i can tell u its almost real visually, with the frame rate improve it would be as good as.
    As for handling like a bus, did he not set his wheel up properly, did he forget to respect his tyres, does he realise hes basically critisising the choice software of most formula 1 teams for practice and development.
    He clearly likes a car to do the driving for him

16. ROON

ROON Registered

That's a bit of a stretch.

17. JuanitoRPM

JuanitoRPM Registered

Autosimsport is in their last days. They need something to attract the attention of the public...

18. Jon Denton

Jon Denton Registered

I know this whole "names" thing must be confusing but the opinion based column (That is clearly not an rF2 article as this post implies as it rants on about two other sims too) published in volume 6 issue 2 this month was not written by me, whereas the article on the rF2 beta in volume6, issue 1 was written by me.

I haven't "changed my tune", there are different opinions in this crazy world amongst different people. I use my name on articles I write to delineate between articles written by me, and articles written by other people. It's a complex system I know, but please, I would prefer it if you could at least check the names at the beginning of articles before judging my apparent changing of tunes.

The piece(s) being apparently slated here are both opinion pieces, and thus the authors are stating their opinion. The world would be a tiresome place if everyone thought the same thing, and arguably, AutoSimSport would not be what it is if every single writer thought the same thing about every sim on the market. Amongst the writing team we debate, discuss and argue about sims all the time, it's one of the things that encourages us to write about them.

As a result, to suggest that the opinions put out in one column are the opinions of "AutoSimSport" is one I don't really agree with, and it has never been the case. Personally, I wrote a column in 2008 that was quite non-complimentary towards Race Driver:Grid, and when I did so by no means did I presume that this opinion would automatically become the opinion of the entire writing staff. Neither would I assume that it would become the opinion of every reader.

So please, if you can, take the pieces this month as they are, opinion based pieces that reflect the feelings of the authors. One, as hs been stated, is sarcastically written as a tongue in cheek "miserable sods guide to all sims". The other talks about rF2, amongst other sims, personally I don't agree with the rF2 comments he makes (which should be clear to anyone that read my preview in vol6 issue 1), but I respect his right to have an opinion. Just as I respect all of yours.

As for the letters page, well, people send us letters, should we not publish them if we don't agree with them? Sounds rather draconian to me.

19. Flaux

Flaux Registered

I like the different opinions in Autosimsports latest issues. They open up your mind (well they should do). I recommend to read the other articles as well, as it is quite educational for some newcomers to simracing. I think by reading ASS you become more views on different games in different angles. A good base to get a proper fundamental opinion on racing-sims, specially when you are new to it...

Sure there will always be people who end up in tears by reading things they don't understand/support..

20. MKD

MKD Registered

Uh maybe,, but not too much of a stretch... 680 rocks RF2