The 60's formula cars on modern tracks is just fantastic!!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by buddhatree, Apr 1, 2012.

1. buddhatree

buddhatree Registered

When those tires get heated up and the track rubbers in, those 60's F cars are sublime on the modern tracks.

The grip those old tires generate is really fun to drive with. And with the FFB, you can feel exactly where the limits of that grip are. Each new lap you can cut that corner a little sharper, hit that apex a little faster, accelerate out of that slide a little quicker, brake a little latter... because you can feel the grip is going to be there.

The more I drive this wonderful game, the more I appreciate it. The FFB combined with the physics and tire model is just like nothing else. It's a level above anything out there :)

2. navorsky

navorsky Registered

I personally, love the way the tires lock up and i can see the flat spots when htitting the break hard or missing the apex... even knowing this isn't good for me..haha..

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

3. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Exactly, even when driving a long fast corner; the tyre just gets a bit more black in the middle; so cool!

About the ffb; did you'll notice (or is it my system?) that for the F2 (didn't try other 60's car with this) the Spark has a good ffb and the Eve does not? Just a lot less ffb in that one.

4. navorsky

navorsky Registered

Another thing, i think really cool, the weather...the way you start a race with bright sun, and then slowly you watch the clouds build up a rain weather.....and the way this affects the grip and tyre temperature...THERES NOTHING LIKE THAT.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

5. Paul_Ceglia

Paul_Ceglia Registered

im amazed at the ones who can drive the 60s cars i can't keep them on the road to save my life any pointers??? its seems those are the best cars but very hard to drive ;(

6. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

Throttle control. Be very easy with the throttle.

I'd suggest start putting time in the F2 or 3 cars first if you're having a hard time with the F1's

You can also put less power to the diff, soften rear springs and add rear toe. Beware though as the track rubbers in the car starts to get some understeer.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 2, 2012
  7. PLAYLIFE

PLAYLIFE Registered

I concur, it's all about throttle control. Gently blend the throttle. All your inputs (throttle/brake/steering) should be gentle and progressive to begin with. Once you start feeling and predicting what the car is about to do you'll naturally be a bit more aggressive with it, but as a start, gentle inputs is the key.

Once you get up to speed you'll find yourself in the quicker corners at turn-in giving a handful of steering input then controlling the car using throttle with steering compensation/correction. At least that's what I find I do subconsciously!

8. Ricknau

Ricknau Registered

Race somewhere other than Spa and Monaco. Those two tracks are brutal and totally unforgiving. Like the OP says, the modern tracks are a ton of fun. I've put in a lot of time at Malaysia. Wow is that last right hander onto the first grandstand straight ever hard!

9. buddhatree

buddhatree Registered

Like others have suggested, stick with the F3 and F2's and be very careful with the throttle. And remember it takes at least 4-5 laps to get some heat into those tires. Once you get that grip going, they are much easier to keep on the track.

I still can't drive the F1's to save my life though ;)

10. g7usl

g7usl Registered

Yes. Start off with the F3 car? It's a good training ground for the faster cars.

When we are racing on-line we find that all those who come in with the F1 car finish up crashing at Spa.

11. ROON

ROON Registered

Yep, it's all in the throttle control! One thing I found myself doing in the historic cars was trying to drive them over the limits and gradually work my way way down until I discovered them. This really isn't a good idea. Start slow - painfully slow - and gradually up your pace and work your way towards the limits, rather than trying to go flat out 100% of the time.

12. Paul_Ceglia

Paul_Ceglia Registered

thanks guys will do all that is suggested one more question...how do you get the modern tracks to run with the 60s...sorry noob question lol ;)

13. Novac

Novac Registered

There's a button called "Select all cars and tracks"
    I think it's mixed in with "series" can't check not on the PC at the moment.

I'm in the same boat as you at the moment. Can't drive F1 to save my life. In fact can't drive anything except a Renault Megane.
    New to RFactor.

14. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

Fully agree with the above, its bloody amzaing these cars.
    We did a full blown event a few weeks back with the F2's on MalaysiaGP, entire week of open practise, 2 club events and finaly a sunday event with a 26lap race.
    It was epic!

The level of concentration required is very high (compared to rf1 i would say this is only needed on the Nordschleife) and it just forces you to do every inch of the track perfectly or as good as possible.
    You just pay too much of a price when going off, locking the brakes or spinning. Takes multiple turns up to a complete lap to get the tires going again.

At the beginning of the week we where driving on ice, scared to lock/ruin the tires, trying to figure out how the H.. we where suposed to push harder.
    At the end of the week we knew just how to warm up the tires, setup the car and where able to realy push the braking zones and exits as well as everything inbetween. The more we go used to this the more fun it became.
    The amazing part i found was that you could lock the tires on purpose on braking in a surtain angle of particulair turns and get away with it as well, no problem for the tires at all when done right.

On the event itself, just building up rubber with the grid in practise/quali/warmup and race was an event on its own, very rewarding and realistic.
    By this time we all knew that the collision model was abit off so everyone stayed away from eachother abit more then usual and the racing was truly amazing.
    As said, you realy need to focuss all the time, there is no time to relax or think you can get away with abit less care. the screwing-up-the-tires-so-easily was great as well because others would do it as well, so it was a rollercoaster of people gaining because they did not make mistakes over others whome did make mistakes, even the slightest ones would cost them too much time.
    Of course the slippery slope of off-line overtaking/outbraking had a huge impact as well.
    Consequently the field, a few packs battling closely, remained very close and you allways had the sence and notion that things could turn arround for the better, just stick with it.

Also cars racing closely would realy slow down vs those on their own, simply because it was no longer possible (as in rf1) to race realy rough and edgy. it was simply too risky and you had to take much more care of yourself and the cars in front/behind whilst those on their own would be much faster because of the clear lines they could take.

At the end of the race i noticed how several drivers would get the fastest lap, over and over again, me included and i was like wtf, how is this possible, same tires for 1 laps, surely they are gone....but that was the rf1-system still in my head, of course the low-fuel and fully rubbered track made up for the tires and it was grip-heaven for all of us :)

It left us all with wanting more of the same, the future is looking bright if we can get so much fun out of a beta.

I agree on the F1's, still too hard but i'm sure with propor practise and more familiarity with how rf2 works it will be even greater.
    The F3's are abit too sedated for me and our members, the F2's are pixel-perfect. just enough raw power but still good control.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 3, 2012
  15. Nizmo

Nizmo Registered

I've thought this since the first week. The F2's seem to be the sweet spot. The F3 is a lot of fun at the right place. Unfortunately, no one races these cars on open servers, but when the beta was released, for a few weeks there were historical races with most ppl driving the F1 car. A disaster! Very few people could run consecutive clean laps. Turn 1 at Spa was ALWAYS a joke. Hay bails everywhere!! LOL

16. navorsky

navorsky Registered

Well, i´m not used to the 60´s, but i want to drop my history here as well...

This time, i was in for a Mid Ohio Weekend...with the Renault F3.5 offline offcourse, as i always play because of internet issues. Yeah, for some of you guys that can´t believe, offline fun exists. Anyway, i setup the course for a 30 laps , scripted the weather so we had little (20%) of chance of raining during race... nothing more than that. Started the practice session...

I took some minutes in the garage, tweaking some settings, camber, toe, suspensions, the trivial. Then, i entered the track... it was very very slippery, my tyres was cold, the track rubberless... and i could definitely feel it.. its very easy to lock up the tyres, screw your turns, so, i drove very carefully... graduating the brake points as i go... every turn a little bit far, and after some laps, the track was starting to build up grip and there the weekend started... I managed 1:15:00 something... at the very beginning.. the car wasn´t good enought, so i took it back to the pits, time to rework the settings... Drove a few more laps, that wasn´t my day. 1:14:8... i´ve got the 13th position...

The qualy day, the track was rubbered, bright sun day ... perfect scenario for a fastest lap. I took a minute or two, for final settings, that was it. If i had to work on something now, it was my driving lines and braking points, the car was all set. Took it to the track, and oh boy.. that track was definetely good ... i had so much corner grip and my braking points were beyond the line, it was just a matter of managing the traffic and keep it up. After a couple laps, managed 1:13:790... pole position by a margin of 200 miliseconds... It would be a tough race..

Race day.. sun was out, i was kind relieved, and was already regreting the 20% rain chance i set up... at that moment i was hoping for sun all day long, since i hadn´t a setup for racing nor had trained at all on that circunstamces.

Green light, bad start... on the first corner, third position, cold tyres, needed to work fast , without traffic the leader would vanish into dust... after five laps i managed to overtake and took the second position...it was time to work my way up to the leader , who was 8 seconds ahead... I set up tire wear to x5 , which means i had optimal tire performance at that moment, the track was rubbered and i literally flew over the track... but there was a menace ahead, in my pursuit to the leader i didn´t notice a small group of clouds that started to build up over the circuit..was that a signal? a BAD signal? Well.. three more laps and i had my pit scheduled... now i was praying for the rain . the sun by that point was gone... the day was beginning to become darker.. i had second position, 3 seconds separated me from the leader, and 2 seconds from the second position... i entered my last lap before pitting...it was clear the weather was becoming unstable.. it made a difficult choice and choosed wet tyres .. crazyness... some say. And it was...during the first minutes i was already regreting that choice.. and then,in the end of that lap,the rain started...it was god ways to say "GO MY SON, GO FOR IT". The A.I started to pit in ( i had mine one lap before ), the track become a lake, at that point, i was the leader... my whole car become a different one, the track become a different one... it was another race... commited a few mistakes before getting the hang of it... then i developed a very steady pace... managing the race and winning the weekend.

That , was one of my very first race attempts in rFactor 2, and one of the most brilliant a.i performances i ever saw in a simulator. And man, that´s just a beta...

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 3, 2012
  17. argo0

argo0 Registered

That , was one of my very first race attempts in rFactor 2, and one of the most brilliant a.i performances i ever saw in a simulator. And man, that´s just a beta...[/QUOTE]

Did the AI pit for wets, and if so, when?

18. jimagn

jimagn Registered

I love the way the F3 cars can be pitched into a corner, all four wheels sliding and how easy it is to then hold it with the throttle. Great stuff. :D Well done, ISI.

19. Nizmo

Nizmo Registered

Guys, since we're all lovers of these cars and not many people are running them, lets start a little club and get together once a week to race F2/F3s.

20. c.pucher

c.pucher Registered

sounds like a plan :)

did some laps with the F2 @Mid-Ohio, great fun!