Whats optimal Tire PSI?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Paul_Ceglia, Mar 30, 2012.

1. ROON

ROON Registered

Quite true. Despite being incomplete, it's not hard to get ahead of yourself and forget we're in a beta phase.

2. Paul_Ceglia

Paul_Ceglia Registered

yeah thats the truth. FYI I put max pressure in the gtrs tires and than ran some laps thaaaan adjusted so they match kpa. I was pulling 1:14s with 51 laps of full @ PB which is pretty good, took the file over to motec and after 9 laps I had about 7% tire wear for each tire, nice even wear to all tires with .5% of each other.......

3. mikeyk1985

mikeyk1985 Registered

Also, Redbull F1 team got into problems with Pirelli for running there camber at extreme angles (outside the reccomended) that was really interesting to hear about, sadly the reasons why within the design philosophies of the Redbull team were kept quiet.

4. PLAYLIFE

PLAYLIFE Registered

The Red Bull camber saga was an interesting development. Obviously their car benefited more from larger camber angles (IIRC it was only a small margin over the recommended 4 degrees stipulated as safe by Pirelli). It was a huge safety concern for RBR and the reason why the pitted after 3 and 5 laps into the race (due to the damage already sustained on the qualifying tyres that you need to start the race with if starting in the top 10).

5. ROON

ROON Registered

It was pretty incredible to see Adrian Newey sweating and looking very tense during that race. After the chequered flag he looked as though he'd just dodged a bullet.

6. PLAYLIFE

PLAYLIFE Registered

Yep he definitely dodged a bullet. For the sake of some performance RBR risked the lives of their two drivers. After having gone through the saga with Senna, it was the last thing Adrian needed to go through.

7. GTrFreak

GTrFreak Registered

im sorry.... which specific race was that?

8. MJP

MJP Registered

Spa 2011

9. PLAYLIFE

PLAYLIFE Registered

Yup.

Subsequent to the shambles regarding camber at Spa, the FIA enforced teams to adhere to the Pirelli camber limits at the next race in Monza. Pirelli's recommendations at Spa was no more than 4° (RBR used a touch over 4°) however at Monza Pirelli further increased their safety limit to a more conservative 3.25°.

10. MUZTEE

MUZTEE Registered

omg u guys are confusing the hell out of me :< where do i learn about setups? but the thing is i dont want to read like a thick manual, is there any way to just learn the basic setups? i mean i know how to change wings but that is it.i would like to understand tires and springs a little and coast preload aswell, i dont wana be an engineer but i d like to know a little :<

i mean playing on isr servers, im only off the pace of the best drivers by a second, and thats playign with a ps3 cantroller. i know i got the skill but setupd just let me down, if i can learn setups a little while i save for my wheel it would be awsome !

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 7, 2012
  11. ROON

ROON Registered

Try these links, MUZTEE.

http://gridmotorsports.com/forum/league/723889049/595195175/rfactor-f1-setup-guide.pdf
    http://www3.sympatico.ca/cbarnett/SetupMatrix.html

Keep in mind that a race setup is like a web, all of the variables are connected and effect each other. With that in mind it's best to try and learn as much as you can. What you can't figure out on your own or learn through research, you can always ask about here. As you can see in this thread, the rF2 community is helpful and friendly.

12. jubuttib

jubuttib Registered

Absolute, bare bones basics:

Tyre pressure: If the middle temperature of the tyres is higher than the inner and outer temps, lower pressure. If the middle temperature is lower than the inner and outer temps, higher pressure. If it's in between inner and outer temps, you're good.

Camber: If outer, middle and inner temps are totally equal, add camber. If outer temps are vastly hotter than inner temps or the tyres lock up or slide easily and only the inner temps rise, lower camber. Aim is to get the temps to get progressively lower towards the outside, but the difference in temps shouldn't be huge.

Just about all the shocks and springs and anti-roll bars: Softer values give more grip but also slower response. Stiffer values increase response but also decrease grip.

Race2Play setup developer tool is a great program to get going with building a working setup.

13. MUZTEE

MUZTEE Registered

thx roon

14. Paul_Ceglia

Paul_Ceglia Registered

I would also recommend concentrating on one aspect at a time I started this thread because i was working on tires and only tires like roon said the rfactor community is here to help and race each other ;) google "motec i2 guides" there is some great stuff to be learned in those guides....your going to have to read though good luck and enjoy what you learn the payoff is worth it trust me.... ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 8, 2012
  15. MrMaverick

MrMaverick Registered

Ive been using the race2play setup developer 3.02 i found at race2play.com. it goes step by step and asks how the car is handleing and gives sugestions on what to change on your car. also started useing motec to try and figure out tire pressure settings, close but not quite where i want them to be, middle of tyre temp still a little hotter than inner and outer, but camber and caster setup is very easy with the set up developer and once that sorted then it leads you through with the rest of your suspention setup, like ya own engineer.

16. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

Tire pressures atm do almost next to nothing. Go by feel and feel only. ;)

17. CordellCahill

CordellCahill Registered

This is so very true

18. Schueppe

Schueppe Registered

Sorry but I seem to be able to regulate the temprature with the tire pressure.

Sent from a mobilphone

19. Aleksi Elomaa

Aleksi Elomaa Registered

Atleast they rise while driving some amount. :p (370z at mid-ohio)

[​IMG]

20. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

listen to jubutib. Math is nice and all, but that's only a starting point. Begin with the tire manufacturer's suggestion then go out and do some laps. Once the tire are up to operating temp, you can fine tune the tire temps. It also depends on the length of the race. If the the race is only a few laps, the tires will never get up to temp and you have to change pressures for that, but let's assume you are doing a real race and not a silly 6 lap sprint.

You want to adjust tire pressures so that the tire heats up correctly. This optimizes the contact patch.

Make the inner temps around 5-10C hotter than the outer temps. 100C is getting too hot, 80C is getting too cool. Sometimes keeping it in that range has less to do with tire pressure and more to do with how you use that right foot.