FOV Calculator

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by taufikp, Mar 29, 2012.

1. Atle Dreier

Atle Dreier Registered

I calculated it to 26, which is exactly what I had set on my own. :)

Cool thing about vertical FOV is that we don't have to bother with it going from single to triple screen. now we only need to convince ISi to fix triplescreen... :p

2. Alric

Alric Registered

I've been using a FOV of 29 for a few days now and seem to get on with it pretty well but what confuses me is the seat position. If I get my FOV correct at 29 then surely by moving my seat too far back it changes this FOV? Or does it? Is this a quick way of changing the FOV in game? But obviously the 29 doesn't change.

Also, agree ISI need to add more options for getting the angles right for triple screen users as well as giving us the options of moving any heads up info up and in a bit so it's not off our screen for bezel compensation.

3. magicfr

magicfr Registered

I'm using 26 and I get the same "vision" than in iRacing or LFS.
    The only problem is that we can't "shift" the display up/down to correct the fact that my eyes are not facing the vertical center of my screens.

4. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

[HR][/HR]
    No it's not the same as changing the FOV. If you make the same analogy with your real eyes and lets agree for arguments sake that you have a 180 degrees FOV, if you take a step backwards, forwards, sideways or rotate in any direction, that wouldn't change your eyes field of view. FOV is independent of where you translate and/or rotate your direction of view.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 18, 2012
  5. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

Not tried to pitch my in cockpit view before, but if it's not possible by default means then it is indeed odd considering the fact that trackir users are given free reign over this ability.

6. GTrFreak

GTrFreak Registered

There are some settings added to the .plr file that enables you to change the angle of your view. I mean so you can change how the angle of the drivers head is, making the horizon move up/down

7. Alric

Alric Registered

Ahh brilliant, that makes sence. Ok, so what do you have your seat position as? Should I be at zero front to back and 29 FOV? I find that I like to have my seat a little bit further back so I can at least see a bit of the steering wheel. A Formula 1 driver can obviously see the steering wheel as they look at it from time to time so maybe 29 is slightly too close even though it seems most people with triple screens use that setting.

8. ZeosPantera

ZeosPantera Registered

The problem with proper FOV is you dont see anything in-game that your monitor isn't in front of.. IE the F1 steering wheel. So if your monitor was low enough (Real Low) you would see it when adjusted properly BUT it should be behind your REAL ffb wheel!

9. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

Yes and i move it backwards so i can at least see all of my front wheels.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 18, 2012
  10. John.Persson

John.Persson Registered

I use 30 on my single screen, 24 inch dell, my eyes are 24 inch away from the screen. I only see the top of the steering wheel, works perfect in the open wheelers and gives me great presence while driving.

And I used the calculator and my screen height to get correct fov.

11. buddhatree

buddhatree Registered

I think for a single monitor, the ISI default is just about spot on.

The FOV calc said I should be using 45 FOV. Below are are 2 screens. First one is default, the other is 45. They are almost identical.

View attachment 2891 View attachment 2892

The default I can see a bit more on each side which I think is better for awareness of what's going on around you.

12. jubuttib

jubuttib Registered

How big of a monitor are we talking about? For example a 24" 16:9 aspect ratio monitor would have to be about 36 cm away from your eyes for 45 degrees of vertical FOV to be correct.

Even a 40" 16:9 aspect ratio HDTV would have to be just 60 cm away to justify that FOV. That's mighty close, especially if you need to fit a wheel between you and the monitor as well.

13. buddhatree

buddhatree Registered

24" monitor, 34" inches from my eyes.

14. jubuttib

jubuttib Registered

If you're using a 16:9 aspect ratio monitor (and I assume you are, since your resolution is 1920x1080 instead of 1920x1200), and the center of the monitor is 34" (86.36 cm) away from your eyes, then the correct realistic FOV for your setup would be 20 degrees. Like I said in the first post, you'd need to bring it to 36 cm away (just over 14") for the 45 degree vertical FOV to be realistic.

15. buddhatree

buddhatree Registered

Well, it's moot anyway. I like the default FOV :)

16. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

Time to start thinking about ways to mount the tv on ones face for the sake of FOV.

[​IMG]

17. jubuttib

jubuttib Registered

Oh, I wasn't implying you shouldn't use whatever you like, just that the results of your calculations seemed weird. =)

18. Tiger

Tiger Registered

hi'
    I'm 47" away from my 27" monitor 16:9, and I just can't undestand a thing about this FOV....
    sorry, feel like a noob...
    when I drive, I see the top of my wheel just right on the lowest part of the screen, but always feeling I'm too far, but can't change, coz of the desk...
    what could be the right FOV angle for me?
    thanks ;)

19. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

20 degrees (19.6 to be exact) vertical FOV.

20. Tiger

Tiger Registered

whoho, it's going to be close..., ok, I'll try this ;)
    thanks a lot :)