Getting the 3d track path and road width.

Discussion in 'Plugins' started by dlecoutre, Mar 28, 2012.

1. dlecoutre

dlecoutre Registered

Hi,

I need to implement something similar than the TrackMap plugin for our simulator, and I'd like to implement some other features on top of that. For that purpose I need to know the track path and road width. I found where to get the data point with rFactor1 ( "rFactor\GameData\Locations" ), it's in a text file, it's quite simple to read.
    For rFactor2, there is no GameData folder. I might have found it at this path "Documents\rFactor2\Installed\Locations\". All the files have a .mas extension. Are the files that I'm looking for at this location ? How do you extract the data points from this kind of file ?
    I'd like to get or compute the relative position of the car on the road ( e.g. the car is in the outside of the curve... The car in in the middle of the road... ) Is there a way to get the road width as well ?

Thanks,
    David

2. dlecoutre

dlecoutre Registered

I figured out few things. The track map is in the *.AIW files, and the track name is in the corresponding *.gdb files. With this two files I can figure out which map to load.
    For rFactor2, I had to extract the *.aiw and *.gdb with the mas extractor.

I'm not sure yet if I can automatize that process from the plugin... I still have to figure out how to compute the track width.

3. blakboks

blakboks Registered

You might be able to figure out the track width from the corridors in the .AIW. I think it measures the legal track width (both left and right) at each waypoint off the center-line, and the illegal terrain (i.e. grass, runoff areas, etc.). Sorry, I don't have much more information than that at the moment. I'm not at my home computer to check it out, either.

4. dlecoutre

dlecoutre Registered

Thanks, I found it. In the *.aiw file, look for the variables "wp_width", it gives the road width in meters. You can compute the x,y,z coordinate of the borders by using "wp_pos" value and the perpendicular vector of the road called wp_perp.
    e.g. for the left border :
    Code:
    Point3D leftBorder = wp_pos - wp_perp.scale(wp_width[0]) 
    The file provide usually 600 points per track. It's more than enough to generate a nice map.

5. Darrter

Darrter Registered

Hey,
    I know the thready is somewhat old, i wold like to know, if there is a way to extract the *.AIW file from the *.MAS.
    Can i all the call the MAS2.exe with some parameters to do that?