Live Delta-Speed and Delta-Time Telemetry

Discussion in 'Plugins' started by Dan_Black, Mar 25, 2012.

1. Dan_Black

Dan_Black Registered

I don't have a plug-in, I just want to stir discussion on my favorite plug-in from iRacing, iSpeed.

iSpeed, for those not familiar, is a heads-up-display application, voice announce, fuel estimator, data mart (lots of other people's laps), and an easy-to-use analysis tool to compare your laps to those of others.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My top uses were the delta speed and delta time windows. They not only changed colors (green = good, red = bad), they also had a numerical readout. This allows instantaneous feedback of your performance.

http://members.iracing.com/jforum/posts/list/1828488.page
    http://www.nessoft.com/ispeed/

Thoughts?

2. korrea

korrea Registered

I would like know how can I get this delta-time... At the moment I don't see the light...

3. Dan_Black

Dan_Black Registered

I'm sorry, I don't understand what you're asking.

4. taufikp

taufikp Registered

The delta time is not available per se via rF plugin interface. We have to do the computation ourselves, so in essence, we have to store the result of previous sector (or lap) and then compute the delta between current time with the last time. Been thinking about making this sort of plugin though.

5. dlecoutre

dlecoutre Registered

I'm already computing the delta time in my plugin. Do you want it for each section or do you want it in real time ?

6. taufikp

taufikp Registered

Ahh.. great, another useful plugin is in the work! :D

Well, I prefer delta for each section and not real time. The best use of delta time, in my opinion, found in Richard Burns Rally. RBR shows fastest time, my own time, and the delta between them. The delta will be red if slower, and green if faster. Just like iRacing.

I hope your plugin will show this delta time every time we pass a sector, that would be really great. :)

Oh, another suggestion, if this hasn't been implemented: adding capability of storing the best result of each sector in a text file. And whenever we are on the track (test, practice, quali, race), your plugin will show the best time of that track instantly. But make this best time per vehicle class as well. So best time created by a F1 class won't be shown if we drove a Megane class for example, and vice versa.

7. PLAYLIFE

PLAYLIFE Registered

Great helpful tool.

But remember when RealRoad and the environment are fully developed, that delta times against previous bests will become a little less informative as the track changes with more rubber or the weather deteriorates.

What will still have equal importance though is the delta relative to your opponents as that is really the only true reflection of how you are performing given the changing environment.

But yes, would love to see a plugin like this developed - I think it's essential in being able to improve your driving and for strategically sound races.

8. dlecoutre

dlecoutre Registered

I see... It's good to know what people are looking for. My actual plugin is only for a work project yet, I need to figure out what I can release. I do have the delta time for each section, it's working for rF1 and rF2. The delta I compute is against your last lap and / or your best lap. It's quite simple to do, you just need to store the time for each section in an array, then compute it.
    On the other hand, the delta time is available only at the 3rd lap. Since the first lap doesn't provide any timing, the second one lap will give the first set of timing for the 3 sections, then you can start to compare and compute the delta on the 3rd lap.
    I'm still thinking what I'm going to do with that. I might make an app for iPhone and iPad if I have the time, or I need to figure out how to draw on top of rFactor.

9. Dan_Black

Dan_Black Registered

Thanks for asking. I prefer real time delta time and delta speed. The iRacing plug-in I mentioned in the OP runs such that each data panel is its own window, able to be independently repositioned and resized. To get it to overlay my sim program, I run my sim in windowed mode and the telemetry program as "always on top".

10. dlecoutre

dlecoutre Registered

Ok, I see what you mean, it's technically possible to do but it require some work since the API doesn't provide that. I'm not sure if knowing the real time delta will improve positively your performance. I'm afraid that you might use too much visual workload on the timer and less on the track. It's kind of like reading a text while driving. What do you think about that ?

11. Dan_Black

Dan_Black Registered

Not at all. I've been using it nearly daily for the past 18 months. I have come to the point that - with it up on my dashboard - I instinctively read it with my peripheral vision, I never look directly at it. I use it constantly, driving without it is driving without feedback, like driving without auditory feedback, or force feedback. I instantly know if I've missed a braking point, turned in too early, or missed the apex by even a little. I also know instantly when I'm taking a line that is better than I've done before, which rapidly shortens the learning time of new tracks, lines, or setups. Of all the things I've done in my sim career, it is by far the most significant upgrade to my track performance.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 4, 2012
  12. dlecoutre

dlecoutre Registered

Sounds good, I'm working on that, I'll see what I can do.

13. Dan_Black

Dan_Black Registered

Thank you.

14. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

One of the things I liked about ispeed was that you could run it on a second monitor.

15. dlecoutre

dlecoutre Registered

Yeah I'm thinking about making an app for it if I have the time...

16. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

That would be awesome.

17. Speedyice

Speedyice Registered

The car I raced in chumpcar had a homemade gps based device that displayed a plot of your current speed and the best lap speed in real time. It was super useful to find time and it was the nicest thing on that car, lol.

18. m.lannon83

m.lannon83 Registered

Sorry to bring up an old thread but I have been real interested in something like this for quite a while. I'm a huge F1 fan and mainly play F1 style sims, would love to have some type of lap delta (to your personal best time) similar to how real F1 cars work. Not sure if it's possible to display turn-by-turn lap deltas similar to seen here in Vettel's car (right side of display).