GTX 680 - Post opinions on performance

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bart S, Mar 22, 2012.

1. Bart S

Bart S Member

Ok thanks for the great answer mate, I am going to join the 680 club tomorrow, right now all I see is a Palit, if they have a decent one in I will buy it. Not sure about joining iracing yet seams a little pricey perhaps when I have my sim rig built . Are you a member of any sim racing leagues?

2. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Sarcasm now......

FPS rises to 80-100FPS in a few corners, so you just going on about nothing :rolleyes:

All I ever said IMHO I think a Fast GTX570/580 is good for rFactor 2 with 1920 SINGLE screen. ??? lol

3. MKD

MKD Registered

I run 3d surround on 680 cant get the silly adapter to get me 120 mhz.. does 110 though. I bought the active one from nvidia store. Anyone else have this issue?
    As for performance... wow, OC heaven, and the throttling it does to conserve power is great for controlling heat output. My 680 is water cooled, and can fly steady at 127% power +123mhz +500 mem.. Framerates you ask..? Well really in my opinion this new card is going to put framerates into the disposable word category.. It Has never mattered to me to have 400 fps.. but it USED to be the more fps you got, the smoother the action.. NO more.. Stuttering is a thing of the past.. This 680 just churns through the data, and presents a smooth stutter free game... I could care less if it does 400 fps.. SO long as it's smooth..

4. Spyder

Spyder Registered

@ Durge : okay buddy, I agree with you a 570/580 should be enough for RF2, I just don't expect to see less than 60fps with them in any situation @1080p... It will get fixed though.

@Bart : Great man! Can't wait to hear how you get on with it ... :) iracing isn't cheap you're right but in my opinion it's worth it, £7 for 3 months trial is cheap though... ;)

5. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

6. Bart S

Bart S Member

Ok I gone with the green team this time, I expect AMD will be throwing tomatoes at me now, I have one EVGA GTX 680 in my hand and about to install. Sorry AMD get your full HD 3D vision sorted and I may come back in 2 years time, and sort yourselves out with rfactor thats why you lost me this time.

7. Bart S

Bart S Member

Speechless, what can I say? The EVGA GTX 680 is a beautiful card. Installed in little over 30min my active adapter took over the job from my 5870 with no problems. Installing new drivers registering with EVGA and geting new OC software took almost another hour. Setup the surround without any difficulty coming from AMD, infact bezel correction is far nicer too use. So then I wacked on my Trackir and started up rFactor 2 in SP, I put all my setting on Max everything including HDR , setup a quick 20 car race at spa in F1. To my surprise nVidia suffers the exact same problem as AMD with HDR and surround / eyefinty a pure white wash. Turned off the HDR and started suffering a new problem I not seen before, my screen was all black in the lobby with just the lobby overlay details, this seems related to FXAA and too higher AA level. Ok so turned AA down to 4x and FXAA off got the game started eventually back of the grid 20 cars and 15fps OMG, but it was smoother than 15fps on AMD side, the graphics are absolutely beautiful on the nVidia side which was the first thing I noticed. It just looked so much better cant tell you what it is maybe detail and definition looks better. The race got going and after Au rouge frames picked up to around 30-45 there was so much more detailed smoke effects and detail in grass kicking up I had'nt seen on AMD and cars everywhere and tones of acurate smoke I cant tell you enough how awesome this is, infact I think I will make a Video to show you guys the framerate is watchable. I could see refections everywhere, the heat shimmers effect is also awesome.When the race got going it was smooth even at 15-30fps unlike on AMD.
    My overall conclusion is I need 1 or 2 more GTX 680s to get things the way I want especially with HDR on when that will eventually work in triple screen and multiview.
    Guys with Triple screens you really really should get yourselves a GTX 680.
    My task tomorrow is to see what effects some overclocking does, I didnt mind getting a reference card as I can always mod it later with an after market cooler.
    Oh yeah and this baby is cool and quiet too.

8. Gonzo

Gonzo Member

15fps behind the field with a gtx680? LOL

9. Bart S

Bart S Member

Its daft I know but God dam it looks fantastic. Thats also 15fps without HDR and only 4x AA but everything else was maxed. FPS went up to around 50-60 once things got going.

I'm wondering if it would be worth while upgrading my CPU mobo and Ram cos my stuff is gettin old.

10. MKD

MKD Registered

680 h2o 127 power target +123 mhz +493 mhz
    This card throttles with temps, so if you are on air adjust fan accordingly, cooler you keep it, the faster it will stay going.
    I5 2500 at 4.1 in Gigabyte 16 g 1600 mem 9696 3d Mark 11
    5040x1050 32
    110hz
    Level 1 AA
    sync off
    fxaa off
    hdr on
    widescreen ui mirrors on wheel off
    all other settings max

GT WEC 1.0 Nissan Gt-R at Malaysia 19 AI with 30 visible
    VIA FRAPS 64 idling in garage
    Frames, Time (ms), Min, Max, Avg
    21759, 260000, 60, 103, 83.688
    This was running in multi class AI traffic at 8:30 am
    Not even close to CPU bound in my testing.

I find it very smooth.. no sign of stutter at all..
    Next I used same as above with fxaa on

17079, 208963, 63, 100, 81.73

And to that add level 8 AA
    14884, 260000, 48, 69, 57.246 .

Hope these tests give you an idea of RF2 and the gtx680
    I had a 6970 h20 overclocked before this... As others have stated RF2 is way way better on Nvidia in my opinion.. flickering non-existant, very smooth..
    I will most likely get a second one to SLI. AFTER IVY comes out... if it ever does..tired of waiting

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 5, 2012
  11. MJP

MJP Registered

Might be worth doing some tedious testing on different cpu speeds and plot the results to assess the trend, looking at your specs I'm guessing you're at 400x8 for your 3.2GHz. Try plotting (using the multi so your mem speed stays the same) from say 6x (2.4) upwards. Hopefully you'll see a nice linear increase showing the benefit of a higher cpu speed let alone a whole new architecture.

I was running an E5200@3.3/GTS8800 (512), tbh both parts needed upgrading but due to the flux in the vidcard market I ended up buying an i3-2120/Z68 combo with the option of dropping in say a 2500K/3570K at a later date.

I run @ 1680x1050 and the 8800GTS is struggling a bit and although the i3 only showed an 8% fps increase over the E5200 (both @3.3GHz), things run a lot smoother now. I can now run online at Mills whereas with the E5200 I had stuttering at some points even with only 2 or 3 other drivers. I'd also run some tests @800x600 to shift the burden more to the cpu and here the i3 shows a 40% increase over the E5200.

Night racing and the headlights are still a problem both in terms of fps and smoothness but hopefully a faster vidcard will sort that out.

12. Bart S

Bart S Member

So I got a bit more time to play today, I did some racing and settings = res 5920x1080, everything max as maxed as maxwell with no HDR cos it doesnt work in multiview and no FXAA because it is screwy and AA x6. So I did some megane racing tonight my grid start fps lowest was 35fps averaging around 45 - 55 and 70 -80 at max this was on portugal, mills all where unoticably similar in performance. Then I tried some Skyline action and again similar performance.
    This card is a beast I think 60fps is easily acheavable when gold arrives, best thing ever tho I can judge my speed so well at this higher frame rate that I was actually one of the fastest guys online today. Another thing the frame rate is higher yes but I must admit when I was on my 5870 at the same frame rate lesser settings the motion just was not smooth like it is on nVidia it seamed like AMD has the tiniest of pauses per frame and its only noticable once you move over to nVidia.
    Guys if you planing on upgrading part of your rig get a GTX 680 first, it make rFactor 2 work really well.
    AMD owners I shouldn't say this before the game goes gold because performance will obviously be much improved however AMD is not the card to have if rFactor is your main game put your cards on ebay, especially you 7000 owners that bought one to play rfactor, put your cards on ebay before AMD drop price on those 7000 you will atleast get good money back toward a 680.
    I had 2 AMD cards in a row a 4890 then a 5870 so I am not bias, nVidia is truely the card for rFactor "The way its ment to be played!" I now agree.

13. steve30x

steve30x Registered

1920 x 1200?

14. Bart S

Bart S Member

Hey MKD or Spyder have you dudes tried the AA settings I think its x16Q CSAA in nVCP and ingame off. Then 8xSupersampling I get mega results and quality is absolutely awesome on 3screens great frame rate for these settings. Dont know whether AA settings ingame are related to same settings in nVCP my fps correlate with both settings. But If this is the case then surely AA should be faster from within the game but it makes no difference to me.

15. MKD

MKD Registered

Yes those are the settings I am using.. This card def has some hp.. Actually i'd relate it to torque more.. it churns through the tough stuff ! Cant wait to get second one..

16. jonchard

jonchard Registered

BartS, Go get yourself an i5 sandy bridge and clock it upwards of 4.6 then you will see some smooth performance. Very impressive chip and you dont neccessarily need an i7 unless you want 3D Mark Vantage bragging rights lol .... Z68 chipset and i5 is good value right now. 6 core chips are a waste of money in comparison. These Sandybridge chips will really show you the fps you are missing. I went from a E8400 running at 4.4GHz to an I7 at 5GHz. The E8400 would eat your Q6600 and the i7 eats my old E8400 to bits. If you have the money, its a good priced upgrade to jump on now and will probably last you a few years - would also power dual 680's the way they need to be seen!! Just a thought!

17. jonchard

jonchard Registered

BartS, one other consideration, its not about number of cores, but really about top clock speed. You generally need 2 cores these days to see best of most things, but i would take 2 x 5GHz cores over 4 x 3 Ghz cores for example.

18. steve30x

steve30x Registered

Actually Ivy bridge will be better because it natively supports PCIe 3.0. WIth PCIe 3.0 if the slot is 8x in PCIe3.0 its the same as 16x PCIe 2.0 so 2x GTX680 in Z77 with an Ivybridge CPU will be bloody quick.

19. Bart S

Bart S Member

I appreciate the advice, but i play on 3 screens in fullHD and i had a 5870 with 1gb vram it wasnt enough hence i needed a gpu upgrade first, which in my i stand to benefit the most from. Anyway ivybridge mobos are showing up now so im probably going to go that way cpu wise overclockers heaven 6.5ghz here i come. If id of got an i2700 like i almost did in a few week from now it would of been old tech. Now what did i do with that credit card.

20. jonchard

jonchard Registered

PCi-e 3 will make ZERO difference. Waste of money. But Ivybridge will indeed be a hard hitter. I understand at the moment that Z68 and I72600k performs better than most. If money is no object then i would be putting it on Ivybridge.

When you do Bart S, i will be very interested to hear your thoughts. Please ensure you bench with something other than RF2 (because its not optimised) something like Battlefield 3 which will show just how much CPU grunt you were missing on your Q6600! PS, you dont need any more than 8gb of 2400 ram! 16gb if you have the money but there is no performance gain.

I don't think you are going to see 6.5GHz lol! No unless you have a stash of nitrogen, in which case call me round and i'll be there to play! I can make you a pot for it lol!