GTX 680 - Post opinions on performance

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bart S, Mar 22, 2012.

1. Gonzo

Gonzo Member

You guys should create and attach one profile to test and compare with.
    Run tests in four different resolutions.
    1280x X
    1680x X
    1920x X
    2560x X (if possible)
    + multi-screen.

Just share profile+rfconfig settings.

2. THracing

THracing Registered

Just for the record, I have similar performance when running the unigine heaven benchmark, compared to rF2 hehehe. Other than that, I really enjoy the 680. The automatic oc reached 1097 mhz @ 1920x1080. Amazing...

3. Bart S

Bart S Member

ok another member did a benchmark for me heres what he said
    Ok... with everything set up in CCC and in-game, the same as your posted set, I got 58FPS immediately before the flag dropped. Then it jumped to 68FPS and continued to climb to 134 by the first turn. I would have chased the AI guys around more, but I don't seem to be able to drive with an FOV of 24. I run 65.
    This is a 7970 at 1920 x 1080p.

4. Mechamorafa

Mechamorafa Registered

WTF! 25 to 75 fps max in a GTX 680????

Seriously, what is going on in this game? It can´t get less efficient than that.

5. Saabjock

Saabjock Registered

Either it must be "hell" for the guys at ISI trying to 'nail' down the framerate lack of cosistency OR they're not saying what they know about RF2 behind the scenes right now. There just does not seem to be any constant where framerates are concerned at the moment. They seem to be all over the place for some people....regardless of the exotic hardware they bring to the table. I've seen guys with a dual core and an AMD 57 series card at massive framerates and guys with the newest AMD 79 series or GTX 6 series with super low frames. It going to be interesting to watch as this thing develops over time .

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2012
  6. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

This is what I think it is. They aren't asking for performance benchmarks so this leads me to believe they know what the issue is and are working on it.

I have turned graphics down to get good frame rates and I won't complain since I bought into a beta and wasn't promised anything.

7. bigtabs

bigtabs Registered

For rFactor2, a 580GTX is already performant enough. Switching up to a 680 should have no impact whatsoever. The FPS is being limited elsewhere.

You can't use rF2 as a benchmark for high end graphics cards. The 680 is ~30% faster than a 580 in gaming scenarios when the GPU is the part slowing the system down.

I would have to assume that the CPU is the limiting factor, what with the hi definition and complex physics calculations, not to mention DX9 being pretty crap when it comes to overhead.

If ISI can't make the CPU stuff run faster, what they _could_ do is bump up the stuff done on the graphics card, essentially for free. This wont improve your frames, but it wont lower them either unless you have an old GPU.

It's a real shame they went down the DX9 path. Cannot fathom their reasoning for that.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 2, 2012
  8. Alric

Alric Registered

Hi bigtabs, switching to a 680 should have an impact if you are running triple screens! I can't wait to get a 680 to improve framerates and stop stuttering.

9. Saabjock

Saabjock Registered

I'm almost certain ISI wanted to appeal to the largest market segment. Going DX11 would have eliminated the WinXP users. DX9 is still fairly capable as can be see in GameStock Car.

10. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

This is what I hope ISI is working on. My 2600k doesn't even break a sweat on rF2. Put more cores to use and watch performance go up.

11. Bart S

Bart S Member

Would'nt it be great if ISI was using DX9 as a test base for all there beta testing and at the very end moments of beta testing went BOOM ha we had you all fooled hers rFactor 2 in DX11 ha ha. I would laugh my ass off and think rfactor and ISI was the best software comany in the world. Everybody plays secrecy these days in video games market, its just one way to stay ahead of your competitors, its kind of like war and who can stay above the competition for the longest. We all have to admit rFactor was great up until beta of rFactor 2 then we felt the flavour for the new standard of simulator, if they never released rF2 beta, rF would still be great thanks to the modders, I just cant get enough of the enduracers mod it is simply awesome with sebring track mod. But I go back now and feel empty like I can kind of predict the car behavior rF2 beta feels real behaves real etc etc even now a week away from rF2 the cars start feeling like yeah I have to warm them up some before I go at it, this is great. It doesn't matter to me if some other company is trying to copy ISI because I know ISI is heart and soul racing sim before profit. After 6 years without having to bring a refreshed product back to the market ISI is the best race sim company, there direction is more focused on what race driving and simultion is is than any other company, I've yet to try iRacing and Cars and the others but after this long without a need to try anthing else I am ISI all the way. Iracing would be great for the competition organisation but the same can be done with rFactor through a league, and cars nice graphics but to be honest the replays of car motion physics they are way off. If a replay doesn't convince you forget the game, but yeah graphics are great to an extent.

12. Spyder

Spyder Registered

Hey Bart, just for you buddy .... http://www.iracing.com/sbrs/

Edit : just realised that offer expired on 25th March lol! You'll have to just do the 3 months for the price of 1 instead!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 3, 2012
  13. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

3770K@5GHz and a couple of Gen3 cards will give it a kick in the bum. :)

I am with bigtabs.

Actually I would not spend the money on a GTX580 SOC and got GTX570 SOC.

For single 1920 and measley 2500K runs smooth as, no stutter or lag so really I not too concerned with fps.
    I get 42-45fps at start and 80-100fps in Race once the field thins out which is all I need.

I do not like HDR so that is more fps in games for me.

I can sympathize with Tri screen but don't blame ISI how about Nvidia doing something about it. ?

14. Spyder

Spyder Registered

If you're content with frames as low as 45 then I'm happy for you, most sim racers however see the benefit of running at a minimum of 60fps. With your specs you'd be looking at well over 200fps on RF1, maybe download that and tell me whether you still think your performance on RF2 is "smooth" enough ...

I have no doubt ISI will provide a big boost in performance over what we are currently getting, just hoping that's sooner than later... Easter present?!

15. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

At start by Eau Rouge it climbs steadily then never drops below 80fps I said. ?

Well if people need more then that they are chasing their tails imo.

I used to run Evo and I have pCARS.
    I still run rF, GTL, GPL and GTR2 w/100 cars + all mods.

You can easily adjust quality for below 200fps on any of those full fields. ?
    Try VLM Lemans night with a 100 individual skins..... 200fps you wish. lol

I can lap fast with 60 fps more does not help, what do I need it for when I can use it for quality, makes no sense to me sorry. :)

Like you having a go at me being happy and guys with GTX680s are doing the same 45fps at start. lol ?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 3, 2012
  16. Spyder

Spyder Registered

^^^ ... Would love to reply but there wasn't much there I could understand, google translator I'm guessing.

17. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

here we go .... whatever :)

Well ....if I need 200fps to be happy ...then I guess everyone should give up Tri screens too. ?

Understand that.

18. Spyder

Spyder Registered

Sorry mate, I totally misread your first post! I thought you said you got 45fps at the start of a race.

And yes I'm one of people trying to run tri-screens with SLI580s or my 680 ... How stupid of me to think my cards could handle this at 60fps.

19. Bart S

Bart S Member

Hey spyder, i need your help, i have enough cash to take the plunge and get a 680 this weekend. How is the 680 performing for you do you have any complaints or praise feedback. How do you find the surround vision as this is my main concern, its hard for me to leave behind eyefinity i hope surround works just as well. Lastly have you driven in 3d is there much of a performance loss, is 2gb enough to run hdr, 3d, full shadows in full hd?

20. Spyder

Spyder Registered

Hey Bart, I'm loving the 680 although I've been mainly using it with iracing and rfactor1. Memory wise you're absolutely fine with 2gb and RF2 with HDR and level 8 AA, I only see usage at around 1400mb ... However don't expect decent frames until the Devs start optimising things! RF2 runs nicely with HDR off for me.

I have no experience of eyefinity but find surround is very easy to set up and works well. Haven't tried RF2 in 3D but again RF1 and iracing are maxed on the 680 without breaking a sweat. With 3D in general you're looking at halving your frame rates, you need to hit 120fps to get a constant 60fps in 3D.