nVidia Kepler and Triple Screening

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bart S, Mar 18, 2012.

1. jonchard

jonchard Registered

View attachment 2054

I will come back and read in the morning. If you want proper screenies then i wil take the time to do so ... compare the FPS for each section Bart S. Its interesting!! The feature tests dont really interest me, but the GPU test 1, 2 and cpu tests are pretty interesting. My SLi is still quite competative! :eek:P This table is a little odd compared to your results for some reason your feature test 1 is mental ... mine is lame lol!!

Chat soon!

2. Bart S

Bart S Member

mine just a gtx680 oc'ed, gpu 1206mhz and memory 3000mhz using old pci-e 2.0 @ x16 on a q6600 oc'ed to 3.4ghz.

3. Bart S

Bart S Member

Ok so my q6600 is really showing its age next to your oc'ed i7, man I cant wait to get an ivybridge now. Unfortunatly I got to go away to Turkey for a week in a 5 star All inclusive but when I get back I'm going getting one straight away. I thinking about a h100 corsair cooler and a z77 sabertooth or v-pro board and some top wack vengence mem may aswell throw in a 128gb SSD aswell.

4. jonchard

jonchard Registered

H100 cooler is pants ... it pales compared to proper BIG phobya rad and Laing D5 pump. Ivybridge will be impressive, but god damn you, drop the pci-e 3.0 for gods sake lol!!! SSD is ok, but i went with 2 x 64GB as raid 0 and i see nearly 1gb/s when copying from my SSD to a ram drive (the only thing that keeps up with it!) But writing is crap. Straight drives are better, so i mix and match. 2x64GB vertex 3 raid0, and a 4x 1.5TB seagate raid 0. Its a pretty rapid system all in all. And i still love my 2 x 580's, im off to cyprus shortly for a wedding and on my return i hope to have added the two extra screens :eek:)

I think you have a lot to look forward too geting rid of that q6600!!!

5. jonchard

jonchard Registered

I need close to 1.5v to maintain 5GHz. Ivybridge may bring this down, but I7200k's are very hot when pushed to these levels and i have seen a friend reach the limits of an H100. Its enought for an i5, but not an OC i7 near the limits. Again Ivybridge may change that. Going for a full big boys system will allow you to bolt watercoolers to your gfx too, and this brings about lovely quiet!! Once you've had a quiet and fast system you never want anything else. Its expensive, but well worth it YMMV. Get any old ram, so long as its 2400! And ensure whatever board you get will allow you to set this to its max. Make sure you get whichever chip will hit the highest clock speed and i assure you, you will do no better. You still don't need 6 cores to see the best, so if theres money to be saved anywhere, keep to 4 hyperthreaded cores (8 virtual). DO NOT BUY A Bulldozer lol!

6. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Just make sure to disable ht for gaming :)

7. jonchard

jonchard Registered

Spineli, im not meaning to be arguementative, but you need to qualify that. Can you please give me an instance where disabling HT actually aids with something? For me, on my rig using Asus maximus IV Z68 i see no such issues and i am truly a studier of smoothness and FPS gains. Whenever i have testes with HT off, i find my results are slightly lower and in the case of 3D Mark Vantage, IGNORING THE DODGY CPU SCORES, i still see a drop in fps, not big, but its a drop nonetheless. My i7 with dual 580's has been pretty much fps perfect and lag free (until RF2 lol) especially once NC update drivers to match the given game. BF3 for example at MAX settings 1920*1080 is just pixel perfect and points to all other games not being written half as well (never thought i'd say that about DX11 game).

8. BasJon

BasJon Registered

A word of warning cleverleyson, I read an article that raising the bus speed on your proc will drastically shorten the life of your cpu you should try to keep it at 100 mhz bus and just use multiplier

Also can anyone suggest a nice overclock for my 6970 I have tried raising the clocks and the card went crazy screen colours went all messed up then locked up the pc

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2012
  9. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Ive seen way too many of these all over articles and forums from all sorts of sites online..

"Running BF3 @ 1680X1050, all settings maxed.
    -With HT on, average FPS of just under 60, frequent slow-downs and occasional stuttering - was getting really annoyed.
    -With HT off, average FPS around 85 and NO stuttering, and smooth game-play"

"I was shocked to see such a difference. A brief test showed a substantially higher average FPS in Metro 2033 too. I'll definitely be leaving my HT off full-time.."

"tom's review of BF3 showed a similar tale with hyperthreading. Although their review only showed a 3-5fps variation"

ive seen hundreds of posts like these (literally), and quite a few about the 5-10c temp differences, but on the flip side ive seen other people reporting no problems and no difference with it on or off so im glad everythings working great for you :)

I have seen cases where on dual cores HT really helps EVEN in games, everytime I read a comment from someone who improved their gaming with HT off its always from someone with a quadcore and up, might have to do with the fact that just about no game is threaded for more than 4 cores at the moment, since dual cores seem to gain performance with HT on in many games...

Again, im just going from tons of other peoples experiences including actual review websites, but with computers as usual everyones experiences are different and thats great that hyperthreading seems to not be having any negative impacts for you :). I would expect 3d mark and other synthetic tests to def take advantage of hyper threading, just like compressing, photoshop, encoding, music production, etc does :)

My friend disabled hyperthreading on his 2600k and it droped his temps (under load obviosuly) by almost 10 degrees, sounds crazy I know. Because of that it allowed him to up his vcore which helped him up his multi. Turning HT off allowed him to go up another either 200 or 300 mhz on the OC (cant remember).

Out of curiousity do you run you cpu at 1.5 volts alot? I hear over 1.45 on constant use (for 2500k) is really risking the life of the chip, regardless of heat. Do you run it like that 24/7??...

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2012
  10. bmwmaster

bmwmaster Registered

I can confirm that with HT on CPU temp is about 10 °C higher.
    And i can also confirm, that when you have a quad core BF3 runs better when HT is off.

While overclocking, you can reach about 200 Mhz more with HT off.
    So it depends on which applications you run whether you should turn HT on or off.

With HT on i reach 5000 Mhz with my 2700k (Watercooled).
    With HT off i reach 5200 Mhz.

My Vcore is @ 1,40 V for 24/7 use.

11. Bart S

Bart S Member

Nice to see you jump to a GTX680 bmwmaster, how are you finding it so far?
    Would you care to do a test and post results here using 3D Mark Vantage and a GPUZ displaying your card overclock.
    Id like to see a comparison next to jonchards results

12. Kristoff Rand

Kristoff Rand Registered

that's the reason I went with the i5 2500k from what I read I would be turning off the HT all the time. although when rendering I wish I had it.

@BMWMaster... 5.2ghz nice dood.

13. jonchard

jonchard Registered

Guyz, my results are completely the reverse. I have utter smoothness with HT on, and i see more constantly higher FPS with HT on than off. I have always run this rig at 1.5 volts and thats about a year now, but i have a monster water cooling rig too. I have yet to own an Intel that has died on me for my OC habbits (i've owed most of them! and have frozen most under vapo chill too @ -50C) yet all survive to go onto many many years. Maybe because i had dual 580since i owned this 2600k that maybe i see higher performance for it.

I completely agree with 10 degrees for droping HT, and i agree you can clock around 200MHx more for it, but my testing showed less FPS for having extra 200MHz than staying at 5GHz with HT on.

I'll keep the HT thanks, and as stated previously, each to his own! I will bench at 5760 shortly when my new additions arrive! :eek:)

14. jonchard

jonchard Registered

Kristoff, at those clock speeds, do you get the cyclic reboots? My P67 was a motherf**ker for it, but my Z68 only does it once in a while. And generaly flips out once,t hen boots perfectly. My P67 used to sit there rebooting 5/6 times .... WOndered if you saw similar. So far, i have seen this on many P67s and have yet to find one that DOESN'T do it. I swear its a P67 bug!

15. Kristoff Rand

Kristoff Rand Registered

Jonchard, no I don't get any reboots. she's stable like a rock. after a little more work that I need to do on a project I'm gonna shoot for 5.0... I'm using the Asrock P67 Extreme 4, is that what you had? although I have had trouble finding ram for my two extra slots that doe3sn't mess up.

16. jonchard

jonchard Registered

I have a friend who had ASrock P67, MSi Big Bang P67, i had Gigabyte-P67 UD7 and Asus Maximus Z68. The Z68 does it occaisonally. THe P67 boards, all that i mention, all did cyclic reboots from cold until they got warm then they were ok. But the reboots were often more than 5 times until i shifted to Z68 where it generally does it once in a blue moon.

Friends kept seeing the same issues with different hardware even with i5's and i7's and rev 1 and rev 3 boards. Strange. You are lucky. If you search google for P67 cyclic reboot you will see!!

Is that low Volt ram i.e. 1.35? If so , give it more juice and try again!! I've seen funny ram issues too, but not on this board.