nVidia Kepler and Triple Screening

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bart S, Mar 18, 2012.

1. Bart S

Bart S Member

Great news guys the new nVidia Kepler GTX680 card will support 4 screens simultaneously featuring 2xDVI 1xHDMI and 1xDisplayPort.
    So I will be holding out for on of these cards instead of a 7970.
    Also will feature a new antialiasing mode thats up to 8xMSAA quality.
    Speed wise you can also expect gains of 5-30% over a 7970.
    Only 8 days to wait... woohoo rFactor 2 will smoke along on this card.

2. Marek Lesniak

Marek Lesniak Car Team Staff Member

Although I'm not into buying newest high-end cards (will wait for something from mid-range), it's good we'll finally be able to run 3 screens with just one nVidia card!

3. Flatspotter

Flatspotter Registered

You can already do that with a TH2Go.

4. Bart S

Bart S Member

Flatspotter sorry to say but triplehead2go cost is £200uk you may aswell save and buy another nvidia card and run sli with triple screen.
    Back in the day triplehead2go was a good thing and it had a market, but today with both cards producing triple screen capabilities its going to be bye bye TH2G. I cant understand why anybody would even buy TH2G now surely that mone is better spent on another card.

5. Spyder

Spyder Registered

I'm actually considering chucking my 2 580s in for one of the 4gb 680s when they come out, I'd be prepared to take a slight performance hit in favour of avoiding the headaches SLI triple screen causes me ...

6. Duvel

Duvel Registered

he probably meant softTH

7. Pits

Pits Registered

My machine should "smoke RF2" as well but doesn't, its average at best to race, don't get over excited (as I did) and perhaps wait a while and save some money, there will probably two new bigger and better cards available before RF2 will be able to use them. I've thrown away $375.99 on video cards for RF2 myself and would hate to see others doing the same. Ive been looking for some sort of thread that says "Don't spend money just yet" buy ISI, still looking.

8. Cleverleyson

Cleverleyson Registered

My 7950 has 2 dp, hdmi and an DVI, But you could always go for the 6950 which has just dropped in price massively due to the 7 series, I only have one due to my old 6950 not working with my new i5/mobo but would with my AMD. I spent a week trying to work out then gave up. But its a great card and with these prices getting two wouldn't be a bad idea, seeing I spent 340 on one 7950!

http://www.ebuyer.com/320578-his-hd-6950-2gb-pci-e-graphics-card-h695qn2g2m

Plus to add I only get around 60 fps on full, Grid still massively kills the fps, but you only really notice if you back of the pack, and it doesn't take long to smooth out, and if you don't have the fps counter you would think it was higher. I messing around on settings. But seeing i can run bf3 on ultra with 60 fps+ all the time. Its pretty crazy. But RF2 has the best FFB, and its getting better the build before last really helped. So all it'll take is time and i don't mind waiting.

But what the hell the FFB alone is worth it, Its seems really tidy now

9. Bart S

Bart S Member

scan.co.uk has gtx 680 now in stock but only 2gb model

10. Marek Lesniak

Marek Lesniak Car Team Staff Member

Exactly! I'm not even considering TH2Go as an alternative solution right now.

SoftTH won't change anything... with nV card, you still need an additional one for 3rd screen (nV can only have 2 active at a time, even if physically there are 3 or 4 connectors).

By the way. SoftTH has much better options but because that is a software solution, it is slower than nV Surround or Eyefinity for a given 3 screen resolution.

11. Alric

Alric Registered

Can you elaborate bit on this Spyder please. I have the same setup as you and my problem is stuttering. Apart from that it works well on 3 screens using nvidia surround so is this your problem too?

12. Spyder

Spyder Registered

Yup, stuttering for me too. There's also issues when a new game comes out and an sli profile isn't available or has problems so I'd like to give a single gpu a go in triple screen in an effort to increase my time playing games rather than tweaking profiles and settings! I'm very close on pulling the trigger on a 680 right now just to compare to my 580s...

13. Bart S

Bart S Member

Spyder i believe it will be a quarter less performance than 2x580 but be sure to go for a 4gb if u intend on using max res with AA + i believe 3d will require alot of ram. Hold out for 4gb

14. Flatspotter

Flatspotter Registered

Ah, I see. I didn't know a TH2Go was so expensive for you. I've had mine for years, before NVidia Surround. My vid card (GTX580, 3GB) cost 550USD, so the TH2Go is a lot cheaper.

15. keanos

keanos Registered

The AMD 7970 in average value is around 7% faster than the 680 in high resolution like 5760*1080.

16. Spyder

Spyder Registered

In the benchmarks I've seen they were pretty much neck and neck, a 4gb 680 should sort that out though ...

17. Cleverleyson

Cleverleyson Registered

the 7000s series can be clocked to a beast tho, I've got mine at 1 ghz core wise. stock cooling too! and thats from a 800mhz standard clock. the memory is up too but im too lazy to check. at normal clock speeds it doesn't even sweat i could hardly hear the fan.

i think that was the point of the 7000 series. its clocking overhead is massive!

[​IMG]

Forgot i could just do this lol.

18. Bart S

Bart S Member

Cleverleyson that does look massive clock but to be honest you not even near the cards full potential, my recommendation is dont worry about the memory speed too much just concentrate on the highest gpu clock. Im sure that puppy will bark a rather loud 1125mhz atleast stable but it depends whether your ok with the fan noise. BTW dont forget to do a custom profile for the fan, a fan breaking is less tragic than a gpu over heating. Make sure your case kicks out more air than it sucks in. Are you in eyefinty 3 monitors or just the 1, 1 screen is no probs even for my card, Ive yet to test 1 screen performance its just I can never go back to 1 screen now so dont see the point, my 5870 pretty much can produce max results anyway on 3 screens, I just have to drop it down to a 900 high resolution, 1gb is not enough for full hd. Today I test debezeled my BenQs I have 1 cm bevel so will have 2 cm side by side now I planning on welding up my own stand for a very violent motion simulator that im building cant wait.

19. Bart S

Bart S Member

Spyder your sounding like a fan boy, we have no room for fan boys here lol, this thread is all about performance and settings we dont care about colour, red or green at the end of the day we just want was best for our simulation experience. I used to have nV GTX8800 was a cool card but then got a 4870 and never felt like i suffer driver probs like I did with nV you already said you suffering stuttering using an nVidia how can you be a fan when you notice stuttering, just be neutral and constructive and no offence intended.
    I want to keep this thread open to learn which cards perform the best as sim racing is too small to get pro review tests by the big sites. Anyway I am begining to appreciate my 5870 its bordering max setting from an OC and has playable fps which I deam as 30+ at the lowest.

20. Cleverleyson

Cleverleyson Registered

Bart S its funny you should mention cooling, Look what i've put in today :D
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    Just finished a solid overclock too and the cooler won't let the cpu go over 70 under load, the stock cooler couldn't do that at a little overclock. Only using one screen at the moment, Might move up to 3 soon but would been getting three again. might start work on the GPU again, How do you have yours I had it go to 100 at around 60c.

Your rig sounds pretty meaty, I would love a moition rig, I have my pedals resting on my sub which sends the engine notes up it into my feet, it feels good!

Edit with a little voltage tweak i just did a 3dMark at 1125core 1575memory. didn't get above 70 had it so fan was 60-70% at those temps. Seemed ok. gaming will tell. http://3dmark.com/3dm11/3031890;jsessionid=wbjtegbja34g1xtyp7k1fgukr

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 24, 2012