Massive framerate degradation & stuttering in build 69

Discussion in 'Technical Archives' started by Gary Corby, Mar 17, 2012.

1. Gary Corby

Gary Corby Registered

Using precisely the same configuration as for build 60. With 60 at Mills I started with 120 FPS and dropped to perhaps 80 FPS at worst.

With build 69 I start with 50 FPS and it's all downhill from there. Running mostly at 30 FPS and sometimes less. The stuttering is such that if I were epileptic, I would fear having a fit.

HDR is off. FXAA is off. ATI 5800 series. I'll see if I can find some settings that make it playable, and if so, I'll report them.

Update:

If I turn off all eye candy and set my card as low as I can reasonably go, and disable all AA, then the game gives me 140FPS. This is 60FPS less than I get with build 60 at same settings.

If I then turn on FXAA, with everything else at minimum, I instantly lose 50FPS, for FXAA alone. FXAA is supposed to be very efficient, but this one clearly isn't.

If I turn on HDR, with everything else at minimum, I lose only 25 FPS, and GPU goes to 80%. Which is consistent with HDR being on the graphics card. HDR is not an issue.

If I turn on AA to 16X in-game then there is no appreciable drop in FPS. If I then turn on some basic eye-candy there is FPS drop in line with the build 60 experience. Interestingly, the jaggies even at 16x are noticeably worse with build 69, and texture rendering seems worse, and I question whether it's fully utilising the card. This is obviously subjective, but I'd say the image clarity has gone downhill.

If I turn on shadows at a low level, the game loses 30+ FPS. Anything more than low-level shadows is unthinkable.

I can partially reduce stuttering by setting graphics quality to unacceptably low levels, but I'm unable to find any setting that eliminates it.

Summary: to be honest, I think you should revert the source code tree to 60 and try again.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 17, 2012
  2. Racinjon

Racinjon Registered

I saw your post after i just put one up. I am having similar issues. I have a 6850 card though.

3. Skyliner34

Skyliner34 Registered

Check home many AI drivers you have and try by lowering them.
    At my system I have no problem with 9 AI drivers...

4. Johannes Rojola

Johannes Rojola Registered

Yes I experienced also noticeable drop in fps with build 68/69. ATI here too.

5. Gary Corby

Gary Corby Registered

That's a fair point. I have 10 AI drivers, all of them invisible. Since they don't render, and since the CPU never exceeds 60%, I'd be surprised if it had an effect, but I'll set AI drivers to zero and report back.

6. Gary Corby

Gary Corby Registered

I burned the installation right down to the ground, re-installed absolutely everything, set AI drivers to zero, otherwise used the same graphics settings as worked well for build 60.

This gained maybe 15FPS: what before was < 30FPS is now about 45FPS, which is still way too low. It did to my surprise iron out some of the stuttering. Build 69 remains well inferior to build 60 for graphical performance where for the same test I got 80+ FPS.

What did become very obvious is that the image quality has reduced considerably. I know it's subjective but it really is easy to see. I would liken it to games that are 5 to 10 years old.

Unfortunately, there's no point having the best physics engine on the planet if the graphics give you a headache. This needs a lot of work.

7. MaBo974

MaBo974 Registered

I agree. Also I think when we do tests we should use 20/25 AI cars to have a useful test. I think 90% of us will play rF2 online where usually we play with 20/25 drivers. I can run rF2 at 60 FPS with 5 cars but at only 25 FPS with 20 cars. What matters is the latter, imo.

8. luciak5

luciak5 Registered

slow-motion?

As here is the topic to write about this, I have to report a strange bug
    When I am on the track, I'm experiencing some kind of slow motion. The problem is that it is not connected with graphics' settings.
    And it happens itself, unexpectacily and without any control on it.
    Here is my pc config:
    Amd Phenom II x4 n970 (4 x 2,2ghz)
    6 gb ddr3 667 mhz
    radeon hd 6670M
    This is a notebook. Issues happen whatever I change in settings

Update:
    I tried playing online. Both in single and multi I tried various settings. It looks like the problem lies in whereabouts of fluency in frames. And specifically it is propably switching from frame to frame, including issues with switching objects on the screen. To be honest, as I'm racing on the track, when I ride at 200 km/h speed, it feels like I rode about 80. And the problem is not at my side though

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 26, 2012
  9. les

les Registered

i have the same problem with slow motion at the start of a race with 15 AI cars but if i have only 10 AI cars no problem
    the thing is im getting 30 fps at the start of a race with 15 AI so i dont think its a video issue I think this has to do with the cpu

10. mikeyk1985

mikeyk1985 Registered

I love how people have started saying degradation after it's been used in F1 recently, lol, no one used that word untill then.

11. Gary Corby

Gary Corby Registered

The OED gives degradation a mid 16th century origin. I fear this may predate F1. F1 presumably picked it up from either materials science or software performance analysis, both of which use the word all too frequently. Back in Victorian times, it also referred to a lady whose virtue had gone astray. I presume that's not the sense intended in F1.

12. Timpie Claessens

Timpie Claessens Registered

I can comfirm this aswell. FPS constantly gets lower the more sessions you do.
    A restart of the game and FPS is back to normal.

13. Luc Devin

Luc Devin Registered

Hi
    I give you my experience it is so little
    At the beginning I was 20 at 30 FPS
    Following an update I went up to 45 to 50 FPS but problems, and other jerks.
    While updating the graphics card no change
    So the decision to re install
    Surprise, I update with version 69 .... not more than 60-70 FPS most of all saccades is nikel
    All this to direct you to a new clean install and nothing else and then if all goes well then put the rest of Nissan and other mods and circuits
    For me, with a crossfire by Sapphire HD5770 1GB each angel I am so do not hesitate to repeat instead of adding and do not forget ..... a beta ... We are here to test.

Translation by Google

14. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

This is all rather subjective unless you standardized on more in the results then the rF2 version. :)

I run
    1920x1080 Level 6
    Sun off
    HDR off
    FXAA off
    Everything else maximum

All framerate is super smooth

At Spa 24 F1 I get 45fps at start rising to 80-100fps

But I can't compare to last build as I had GTX460 super overclock SLi then and it is running so well I rather not try.

View attachment 1732 View attachment 1733

15. Bart S

Bart S Member

Dam them wheels look weird on a high field of view.

16. luciak5

luciak5 Registered

No crowd over this topic.
    I have tried new beta drivers somebody posted under ATI graphics issues topic.
    First of all, they work, but the problem is, that there is still the slow-motion during I am on the track.
    Funny thing is, everythings gets back to normal immediately as I switch AI control onto my car.
    And issues are visible whatever I change in graphics options. I tried to run it without FXAA and HDR. But either of them or both are switched off, and by the way resolution and other options being " advantagable " for FPS are being changed, do not work. Now I can say we need an update xD. Is anybody focused on this ;>?

17. [NAR]Steve

[NAR]Steve Registered

Not to sound mean, but you are trying to play the game with a laptop with inferior graphics hardware. I have a decent, but not top end system, and the game is plenty playable for me.

18. mkilner

mkilner Registered

Same here, Frame Rate Stuttering in Build 69, didn't have a problem with previous build 60!?
    ...my System is more than capable so i know its not that!...ohdear! :(

19. MarcG

MarcG Registered

have you tried with a fresh PLR file?

20. mkilner

mkilner Registered

I turned down FX and Shadows to medium, Draw no more than 10 cars, it worked alot better!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2012