Performance / Question fo ISI

Discussion in 'Technical Archives' started by Nuno Lourenço, Mar 16, 2012.

1. Nuno Lourenço

Nuno Lourenço Registered

Again, Looks like performance problems with ATI are being devalued.

My GPU still not used more than 60% and to have 60fps @ 1680x1050 need to switch off most of settings including HDR, Sun occlusion, reflections, etc.

Do you guys (ISI) know the problem? Is that a problem With Gmotor and AMD? Have you talked with AMD to find a soluction? Still get no answer to this since the first beta...

With all maxed out except AA (0xAA) i have 20fps @ Estoril with 10 AI....

Thanks

Specs

Q6600 @ 3.6
    6GB DDR2 961mhz
    HD5870 1GB
    OCZ agility 3 120GB (not stuter thanks to HDD)

2. magicfr

magicfr Registered

Maybe ISI is sponsored by nVidia.

3. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

I'm using an ATI card.

All I can really say is that nVidia are in-contact, this means its easier to work with them, while I don't know if AMD are aware we exist.

4. Foxtrot

Foxtrot Registered

It seems like pretty much every game I've liked had some kind of issue with ATI cards.

5. Goanna

Goanna Registered

I too have a ATI card, a 6970 with latest drivers (12.3 I think it is) and I'm not suffering from the problems described by the OP, my settings are as per the screenies below and in my testing to date (always on Mills with 20 cars) my FPS is always above 40.

One thing I have noticed with this game (so far) and another that I play (IL2 Cliffs of Dover) is that they both seem to perform better with cards that have more than 1G of VRAM and struggle to some extent with cards that don't, which is probably no comfort to everyone that has a 1GB card, but that has been my observations so far.

I haven't changed anything in my CCC either, in fact I've never opened it so wouldn't have a clue what those settings are.

My Settings;
    [​IMG]

Video Settings;
    [​IMG]

6. magicfr

magicfr Registered

Goanna, do the same thing in EyeFinity 5760x1080, you will get 15fps, going in front of the pits, just because of car's shadows.
    And with the same level of visual detail and quality, minus HDR, I get 85-120fps in iRacing with 30+ cars.
    Now set the shadow to LOW and the problem is gone.
    So I think it's pretty obvious where the dev have to look.
    Because there is lots of ways to do shadow, depend how they setup their stencil buffer, if they use deffered light engine, etc. Some combinaisons works bad with nVidia ans some combination work bad with ATI.
    Welcome to PC World :)
    Now, this is beta, I'm pretty sure they will find a solution.
    But first they have to reproduce the issue. Which should not be a problem though.

7. Goanna

Goanna Registered

Magicfr, could very well be the case @ 5760x1080, and I have no doubt that some are struggling and I also believe it will be solved eventually, I was just commenting to the OP, who's having trouble @ 1680x1050 that my observations in rFactor2 and IL2 Cliffs of Dover that cards with >1G of VRAM weren't struggling as much as ones that didn't.

8. GauchoRS

GauchoRS Registered

@Goanna: I noticed, that you are using window mode. My experience was, that window mode gives more FPS than fullscreen mode.

9. Goanna

Goanna Registered

Got in the habit of windowed mode with my old computer to combat freezes when Alt Tabbing :) Quick test shows an average of 3fps better in windowed mode (59.187 Windowed & 56.893 Full Screen)

10. SimonV6

SimonV6 Registered

although i can get around 60fps and can therefore race Ok, ati does not work well because if i run crossfireX it only uses 50% of each card and yet in single mode it uses 80% and so crossfireX for the game but it only about 15% better fps?

11. Bart S

Bart S Member

OP check my specs I have same setup as you but I only overclock to 3.2, I have set my triple screen res to 4940 x 900 on 5870 1gb and it is OC to 984mhz and 1220mhz. I have found this to be the golden resolution for me because 1gb of ram is not enough for 5920x1080. However the moral of the story is I am getting fantastic performance now and everything is on max with shadows on medium. There is something wrong with your pc, 3.6 is asking too much of a q6600 in my opinion. You should also kill all unneeded processes including firefox.

12. bander

bander Registered

would have to send all messages to AMD ATI together and even ISI to solve the problem

13. magicfr

magicfr Registered

Well usually if Dev contacts ATI they will answers they have special forum for devs.
    At work we never had problem with ATI or nVidia, they always please to make a game run better for their GC.
    It's never a good advertisment when somebody say game X run better on GC A compare to GC B ;)

14. Nuno Lourenço

Nuno Lourenço Registered

So let see if i understand, after more than 2 months of guys complaining about problems with ATI cards, ISI simply don't care and haven't yet contacted AMD... Hope i'm wrong because so i don't see the point for giving here those kind of feedback...

Tested again not a quick test with shadows low, movies off and shadow blur of @ Estoril with 10 AI starting in last position of grid... 34 fps on grid.

GPU-Z show me 700Mb of vram used so is 1GB is more than enough in this case.

GPU-Z show as well 60% of GPU utilization in this case...

Bart can you tell me you're settings ingame and in CCC please? If possible tell me you're fps average in one lap too for me to compare same situations.

Thanks

15. SimonV6

SimonV6 Registered

Have you not tried to get in dialog with ATI then, so that they too would be easier to work with?
    At the moment crossfireX does not really work in rf2, yet in p.C.A.R.S it DOUBLES my fps, would be really nice if the same thing happened in rF2 :)

16. Bart S

Bart S Member

CCC on 1 x 5870 =
    aa x4 box or narrow tent x6
    af application handled
    tesselation application handled
    next few all on max quality
    aa multi
    opengl not triple buffered

rfactor2
    res 4920 x 900 this is anew setting tonight works much better for me, 1gb vram is not that baddly affected in this res as it is at 5920x1080
    everything max
    shadows either medium or max
    no shadow blur
    all other settings on apart from enviro reflects off
    crowd mo off
    no hr and no aa in game
    everything max

oh yeah belgium f1 fps 30 pits 60 ish max 45 avg with a 20 car ai inc me.
    ist a lot smoother than any other build.
    1 thing I notice is new gt mod is completely different from all previous original content, does not work well for me with other cars as soon as I get to corner with a full field ahead of me.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 18, 2012
  17. 88mphTim

Joe has just about every GFX card there is for testing with, I'm using ATI and don't really suffer, so it is important that you guys keep posting (even if we don't reply) so they can check your cards and try to reproduce. There's no dev deal with nVidia to favor them for you to worry about.

18. 88mphTim

Yes, but i think my post said everything about that already. :(

19. rubleman

rubleman Registered

I am running in 6970's in crossfire, with 3x23in in eyefinity mode. Disabling mirrors let's me play at 30-70 fps offline. Both cards seems to be used at 98-99% checking with afterburner. If I disable eyefinity and go play on single screen, the fps are well over 100.

20. Gary Corby

Gary Corby Registered

Guys, to everyone who seems to think getting AMD's attention is a matter of making a phone call that ISI somehow forgot to make...think again.

High volume technology companies are another world. They are guaranteed to make decisions that maximise measurable sales per developer investment dollar. To get personal attention, ISI would need to demonstrate that rFactor sales represent at least a few percent of the total AMD customer base.

If this were Call of Duty or Skyrim, AMD would be all over it; but it isn't, so they aren't.