Please don't refresh your mods (or ours) yet

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 88mphTim, Mar 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Clearly there may be some other issue, so rather than creating a confusing array of different versions of the same thing, feel free to wait until tomorrow when I get more info.

Sorry I don't have more info yet, but I would hold off on creating duplicate mods if you can... As making your own 1.2 of our mods means when we make our own 1.2 things get weird.

Cheers,

Tim

2. 88mphTim

You can maybe until tomorrow run the GT mod with build 60, perhaps, if that works for you.

3. Slothman

Slothman Registered

Tim.

Can you explain what you mean by the first post??

Just curious...If we made our own 1.2 versions of the ISI mod with your components how is that going to make things "weird" when ISI release their version?? I mean wont the MODID's be different??

This is one of the points I bought up way back before the last build....just curious as to why its now an issue but responses before where along the lines of "you will get used to it".

Duplicate mods will exist with this system....but is there something specific I am missing to this particular scenario?

4. 88mphTim

Yes, but the name wont be. Your average user won't know the difference if they come across it.

5. Bart S

Bart S Member

Slothman you shouldn't do this because it makes it harder for ISI to find and fix the problem, and you will just add to confusion as to where the problem lies with a modded version. Again as it has been said so many times it is BETA so please accept you are testing a product and helping correct the problems for the final product, don't make it work your way so you can play the game. I'm not talking down but telling you as a programmer your feedback and input is important and the conditions of your problem need to be preserved so the problem can be pinpointed and fixed from the initial circumstances. If you mod just to play the game for your own fun your input will be irrelevant and ISI wont be able to replicate and fix the problem and come back to you for feedback. All troublesome installs should remain in there orginal state as you recieved them untill ISI give you further instructions. It will help them alot quicker.
    As a programmer this is one of those situations where you release something and expect it to be correct but the difference here is they gave you the mod by a different method the updater which they now find problems with and are trying to correct so the conditions have changed from downloading and placing in the update folder.
    They can work with that and will get there eventually.

Thinking about it, from what all have said it sounds to me like some contained code isn't being contain properly hence probably a memory leak and a crash, or anything like a change like a lock up or gear shift can cause a system crash. ISI double check your if else statements on the new car mod.

6. Kristoff Rand

Kristoff Rand Registered

thanks Tim... will wait and play with GT Endurance until then.

7. Slothman

Slothman Registered

Bart....

I have been testing this since day dot...finding issues, finding ways to exploit the issues, actually PM'ing issues that didnt need to be made public.

Personally, this MODID system, I could have broken pretty quickly by doing what is being suggested here. Releasing the same mod with the same information and everthing else, the only difference would be the MODID.

I am not going to do anything with the above as I understand it will be harder for ISI to fix the issue.

But, when I have time I will be checking out to see any changes in the MODID system, if not resolved I think I might just start making life hard for people trying to play the game as that might help get my point accross :) But your point has pretty much highlighted it for me. If the MODID system was more refined, that would NOT be an issue....would it??

Before I make any comments on that I need to check it out...JUST in case things have changed and didnt make the changelog :)

8. Slothman

Slothman Registered

And that, right there, has been my point about the current MODID system all along....

Precisely to the point.

So, at this point, I can only assume it will be changing....

Sorry to hijack the thread but this issue highlights the other one perfectly.

9. Foxtrot

Foxtrot Registered

Maybe related to the problem, maybe not...

After reading someones post tonight about their virtual mod being a problem mod in this build, I messed around with making a virtual mod tonight, not bothering to get modid, just testing things.

After some messing around with it, I found I could combine cars and any tracks that didnt get updated were fine. After messing around with the updated tracks a bit more, I was able to make working mods, but not all layouts showed up in the game. i.e. while packaging I selected all 3 Mills layouts but only 2 would show up in-game.

I'm pretty sure I didnt mess it up on my end, virtual mods are fairly simple to make. Guessing it has something to do with the way the packaging component in mas2 reads the updated folders.

10. coops

coops Banned

slothman
    But, when I have time I will be checking out to see any changes in the MODID system, if not resolved I think I might just start making life hard for people trying to play the game as that might help get my point across But your point has pretty much highlighted it for me. If the MODID system was more refined, that would NOT be an issue....would it??

coops
    making things harder for the average player is not the way to get your point across so they make changes,show them in a detailed email what you could do or others so this will not happen would be better idea.. contact Tim or Gjon directly that might make a difference.
    Other wise ppl may see you as some1 trying to ruin rf2.... cheers coops

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 16, 2012
  11. Slothman

Slothman Registered

Yep no problems.

I dont have to break it...leave it as it is, its already broken...its obviously a problem, otherwise the first post above would not have been warranted as there would be no confusion.

Regardless of the issues created with the BETA update (they are going to happen, its why its a beta) the fact that an ISI representative felt the need to post to not update mods due to the confusion it will create SURELY makes it clear, the system needs changing.

So far the only response I have had from this is "give it time to get used to it". Well....obviously it needs more time hey.

So, hypothetically, would you like someone to break the BETA, or wait until gold and have it all go to bollox then??

1 person likes this.
  12. coops

coops Banned

nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

13. 88mphTim

Not going to ban him or anything, if he's going to do it, he'll do it.

He does seem to be confusing 'breaking things' with 'causing confusion', but it's OK.

14. Slothman

Slothman Registered

I dont think you get it Tim.

The "confusion" is the "breaking". Its is as simple as that.

So that is fine. I have said my piece...I wont go over it. Consider that my last post on the subject. I dont think I will be worried about testing anymore until I see improvement in the area, of which I thought we might have seen something by now. There is still time and I do hold out hope still.

Have no fear coops...I wont do it.....wont need to....its already happening. The hypothetical was made to point out that these issues and "confusion" need sorting now, because if it gets to gold....well...by than it will be too late.

15. 88mphTim

Ok, thanks.

16. Marco Bijl

Marco Bijl Registered

Tim,

I understand your point. However, I do have a question.

What to do with new vmods? Can we still make those, or do we have to wait till there is a new update? Reason I ask is that I need to create one for a upcoming event, and I do not want to distribute a mod which has to be revoked again :)

17. mianiak

mianiak Registered

It's all about self discipline, anyone is free to do what they want tbh, no one is stopping anyone. But as a beta, the best path to follow is to find the cause of the problem, not cover it up. An earlier issue with a problem that was solved by covering it up prevented me from finding a bug, which I ended up finding a few days later. So it's important not to try and find work arounds to problems, we need the problem to remain apparent so that we can find the cause.

In saying that and getting back to the self discipline part. If you have a private crew then by all means modify anything and distribute it to your crew. But keep in mind, the moment that modification goes public lots of people are going to get confused.

So yeah, no one is telling anyone what they can and can't do ... it's just that the risk of confusion needs to be kept in mind during the beta stage :)

18. Marco Bijl

Marco Bijl Registered

Well, thats the reason I asked Mianiak :) I did not post the files for the problem, and a official bug report to find or publish a work around, I want the issue fixed :) I just helped getting to the cause of the issue.
    I have made to many (v)mods already to do them over again, besides the fact that it WILL be confusing to all the members of the community when all mod's are revised. Thats NOT what I want.

The point I wanted to address with my previous post is whether the possible fix would influence the mod's created in the new build. If so, I will re-arrange the event schedule, to put in a default content event instead of a custom event. I haven't got a clue how far ISI is with analysis of the issue, and if they can answer that question, but as I have learned, better ask first :)

I do not need permission to do stuff, I just want to do things in the right way. The only way to be sure of that, is ask the persons who have the knowledge ;)

19. D.Painter

D.Painter Registered

That pretty much says it all. It is already happening and it's only with ISI content and a couple of tracks!

The ONLY privately released track you can use straight from the download is Searspoint. The rest are component and useless without a server provider creating a ID, Uploading it, Putting it on his server, Letting people know it available and were.

Now this is ONE server! Imagine 10 - 15! Maybe 30 different servers. ALL the SAME track, All the same Mod with different ID's.

Slothman doesn't have to do a thing to prove anything! IT'S RIGHT IN FRONT OF YOU NOW!!

Ban him for WHAT? Showing you what is so obvious a major problem!

Yep, Ban him, Ban me and while your at it ban everyone who has posted the very SAME issues in this thread! http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/3146-Remove-rFmod-Petition?p=53779#post53779

20. gotBurner

gotBurner Registered

OK, so... What are we doing? Planning on racing this new track and mod with friends this weekend. Should I wait to update the ISI mod (Nissan) and get the dedicated server up to the latest build? Or should we wait because there may be a fix update for something the next few days? We are only using ISI mods, nothing third party. My server provider is waiting on me to pull the trigger on the updates.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.