Nvidia Driver 296.10 fix SLI for rFactor2

Discussion in 'Technical Archives' started by Tosch, Mar 13, 2012.

1. Tosch

Tosch Registered

http://www.nvidia.com/object/win7-winvista-64bit-296.10-whql-driver.html

2. MrPix

MrPix Registered

Just tried it, no improvement here in FPS or GPU usage! :(

3. MaD_King

MaD_King Registered

Arg !!!! :(

4. Spyder

Spyder Registered

Big gains here, now able to run triple screen with HDR and FXAA and all settings maxed at 60 fps at Mills :)

5. MrPix

MrPix Registered

Did you have to start an new .plr file ... I really can't see a difference and the side screens go Black when choosing HDR... is there something I'm missing?

6. MaD_King

MaD_King Registered

Seems to work for me, in Single Player mode (not sure in ModDev, one card is at 30%).
    The Two cards are used near 100% and FPS are here in Single Player mode with 15 IA !!

7. MonSum

MonSum Member

I did a clean install with the new 296.10 - it brings me from arround 30-60, with 20 ai opponents to a constant 70-90 with 6060x1050. the new driver really improve the frame rate for me :)

(all on max, hdr, level 4 aa)

8. MrPix

MrPix Registered

Clean install of rF2 or the driver?

9. MonSum

MonSum Member

clean install of the driver. you can check this option in the nvidia setup (advanced setup).

10. MrPix

MrPix Registered

Cheers, I created a new plr and did a clean install of the driver and all is tickety boo... display settings all maxed out, FXAA and HDR on, AA on level 5 and am getting 42-71fps on mills with max AI, all visible. This is fractionally better than the fps I was getting before and both GPUs are over 85% most of the time and 95%+ sporadically, so seems to be better scaling.... plus I'm able to max out ALL the settings :) loving FOV set to 25 :)

I don't know if it was the plr or the clean install of the drivers, but one of 'em helped :)

I'm still not convinced that HDR is working properly, but the graphics side of things is far from optimised yet, so I remain optimistic for future changes. In fact, if I turn HDR off, my FPS shoots through the roof :)

OT: Can't wait for TrackIR, then I will give this baby a real work out :)

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2012
  11. Tosch

Tosch Registered

Looks like there are some rFactor fans @ Nvidia. :D
    A fix for beta software is not the standard procedure.

12. MonSum

MonSum Member

13. Tosch

Tosch Registered

Haha, thats nice and explains it.
    My next gfx card is green. :cool:

14. Spyder

Spyder Registered

Done some more testing and must say its so nice to have Triple screens running with a decent frame rate at last, falling in love with RF2 now :)

Only problem I have now is stutters when using road/environment reflections, any one else have this? I have all other settings maxed except shadows which I have set to medium and AA at level 4 which gives me between 60 and 95 fps with a 16 car grid. With reflections enabled its showing similiar FPS's but a stuttering frame rate...

15. CrashMaster

CrashMaster Registered

I tried the new drivers and got a major increase.. before I was running 1920x1200 most settings on high and hdr OFF (turning it on cut the frame rate in 1/2) ...I got about 45-60 (v-sync is on).

Now I have everything maxed other than FSAA (still at 0) but HDR is on and on a sunny day its 59 fps solid full rain it drops to the mid 40s at the lowest

Much better overall fps wise, but I did notice a little light/texture flicker sitting in the pits.

quick specs....
    I7
    2 gtx 260s sli

16. otta56

otta56 Registered

New Driver Quick Test SLI Results

Minimal improvements for my setup (6000X1920). HDR still shows only the center screen. With HDR on a framerate hit of approximately 10 fps.

All settings maxed except for shadows set at low. 25 AI Level 8 AA 16x AF

Monaco 30-50 fps, average 43-45, some stuttering in side panels
    Spa 40-50 fps, average 45, some stuttering in side panels
    Mills 30-50 fps, average 40-41, some stuttering in side panels, less than before though
    Portugal 30-45 fps, average 38-40, some stuttering in side panels
    Malaysia 35-45 fps, average 40-41, some stuttering in side panels.

In general, I seem to have gained about 10 fps with the new driver.

Textures, particularly windows in Spa and Monaco still flicker. Some of the adverts also. Tires are missing from the Eve F1 AI cars in the pits at Spa and at speed in front view. Side views show tires rotating.

17. Kristoff Rand

Kristoff Rand Registered

having bad reactions to it...

some graphics are blacked out in UI and all graphics on tracks except pop up rpm gauge are blacked out.

18. MrPix

MrPix Registered

I got terrible performance until I lowered AA to level 4/5 ... level 8 was unplayable..... in general though, with HDR On my FPS is about 30% worse than with it off.... so I'm happy to leave it off.

I also get the flickering textures same as you.

19. MrPix

MrPix Registered

Try deleting your player.plr file and let the game create a new one.... worked wonders for me (or it could also have been the clean install of the driver, but my gut tells me it was the .plr file that helped the most!)

20. Ricknau

Ricknau Registered

I'm seeing big improvments now with SLI across 3 monitors 5040 x 1050. For the first time it is worth it for me to run in SLI. But there is one quirk.. see below.

Build 60, at Spa where I used to see 40-60 FPS after getting past Eau Rouge with 15 AI I see mostly 60-80 FPS. At two places where it used to drop to 35 FPS it only drops to 55 FPS. Seems like when I load it up with 29 AI (all visible) the SLI gain is only a few extra FPS on the grid but goes up quickly after Eau Rouge. And I see that both my GPUs are being fully utilized when the field is loaded up.

But here's the quirk... when I race with no AI, even though the FPS stays in the 80-90 range the graphics get very choppy (stutters). Looks like I'm getting 10-15 FPS at times. It is to the point of being non-usable. All the while my GPUs are running at about 75%. So it runs smoother under load. That seems weird to me.

Settings all maxed except:
    Player: High
    Opponent : High
    Movies : Off
    Rain Drops : No

Multi screen : ON
    FXAA, Sync, HRD, in game AA: OFF
    Nvidia AA : 4x
    in game filter: bilinear
    Nvidia : 4x anisotropic