Welcome Message plugin

Discussion in 'Plugins' started by Tygernoot, Mar 11, 2012.

1. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Will give this a try / thanks

Is there a way if changing the colour of the text so it stands out
    (Maybe a white colour )

2. Tygernoot

Tygernoot Registered

Why do you assume I changed the build settings? :) I didn't change anything in the project, I just used the example code.

Can you post the output of the WelcomeLog.txt file? It should give an indication of where the plugin fails.

I haven't found a way to change the colors of the chat text. If anybody knows how to do this through the default chat method?

3. Lazza

Lazza Registered

We might be talking about different things. You might be creating a new project in whatever tool you're using and sticking with those settings; I'm referring to the build options selected when you load the example plugin project into VS (2005, in my case). When I build with those options your plugin is 155k.

In making plugins in the past I had sizes of 14-40k (depending how 'big' it was and what it used) and they all ran fine on my machine, but as soon I started sharing them around I had reports from people saying it just wasn't running at all. So I reverted to the same build settings as the example and all plugins (even the simple ones) are above 100k but work for most/all people.

So I can't say for sure that's an issue for people here, but it fits with what I've had in the past. It's also possible you know a lot more about this stuff than I do and have included only everything that is actually necessary, and any issues are due to something else ;)

4. Tygernoot

Tygernoot Registered

No, I took the example plugin, removed the example code, added my own code (that I posted above) and compiled it in Release mode, that's it. I am using VS2010 though, so most likely the compiler has undergone lots of changes since. However, it does seem weird to me that with VS2010 the binary is only 1/3rd the size of the one with VS2005. Perhaps the latter includes more Windows code stuff that's no longer needed, I have no idea. Not sure what changes were made between the versions.

But in the end the result should be the same. If changing compilers would make the binaries incompatible then there is a major issue IMO :)

5. Antaeus

Antaeus Registered

now works good, thanks :)

6. Tygernoot

Tygernoot Registered

@Anthaeus: with Lazza's rebuild it works fine but not with mine?

If so I will investigate (if time permits) to see why this occurs, as now I'm very curious :)

Perhaps it's because the Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Package is not installed on your server? Can you check in your installed programs whether you see this?

If not - and you feel like taking the effort to figure it out, I seriously wouldn't mind if you don't ;) - could you install it and see if my latest plugin build does work after all? Here is the link: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=5555

It's the only thing I can think of for now. @Lazza: if you have other ideas why the builds with VC2010 are not compatible with rFactor2..? I'd really like to figure this out.

Thanks.

7. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Sorry, no, I'm also surprised the size is so different with 2010. It must surely be a missing dependency of some sort though, and that's about where my knowledge stops. To be honest even finding out about the build options was a lot like my programming style - trial and error ;)

Early on I shared a test plugin with a friend and it ran fine - then 2 months later he reinstalled windows and it no longer worked. This is going back to WinXP mind you. He probably could have downloaded something to make it work (I've actually got a feeling he tried installing the C++ runtimes and it didn't help, but it's hard to remember that far back) but I thought it better to try and get it going more independently, and I think the debug version did work, so then I started playing with the build options. Along comes the motec plugin and upon public release I find lots of people having issues even with those build options, so I went back to what I'll call the "ISI standard" ones.

But how 2005 and 2010 compare, no idea at all. I'm also still hesitant to declare that the issue until Antaeus confirms it was my build that worked, and not something else he's done :)

8. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

Nice plugin. Thanks :)

9. Gadir

Gadir Registered

Ok, plugin works good. Thank you.

Gadir

10. fastorro

fastorro Registered

fantastic, thx!

11. Luc Devin

Luc Devin Registered

Hi

To me it does not work, here is my log when it blocks.

The welcome message is added.
    But these are posters.
    "Failed to open the dedicated window (chat button)
    Failed to open the dedicated window (edit cat) "

Any idea?

thank you

12. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Are you running this plugin on a dedicated server? All the plugin does is try to find the buttons that are part of the server dialog when it's running.

13. Luc Devin

Luc Devin Registered

Hi Lazza
    PC only for personal use WEB server and Thurs

14. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

On a dedicated server launched from the Host button, with the plugin installed correctly, the plugin does not work for me. I had this plugin installed on the same machine in an earlier build of rF2 and it always worked fine. The only difference is that the server now is running Build 300.

I have no welcomelog.txt to check for an error message.

15. Gerald Jacobson

Gerald Jacobson Registered

Hello,
    As asked here,
    I took the sources and updated this plugin.

WelcomePlugin v1.2
    - Rebuild it to be compliante with new version of rF2 64bit and 62bit
    - Now, if a WelcomeText.txt is in the player profile directory it will use it instead of the one in the rF2 root directory.
    - The log file WelcomeLog.txt is now created under the player profile directory.

16. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

Thanks so much :)

17. KAMPFBIBER81

KAMPFBIBER81 Registered

Thx again G, I wrote a PM to Tygernoot yesterday to ask if he could support x64 with his plugin :)

18. Tygernoot

Tygernoot Registered

Hi guys,

Just read your PM KAMPFBIBER81 ;). Not sure why Dave-NRT's mail (from the other thread) to me bounced, I have my correct mail set in my profile. I don't check here very often, so missed his post.

Thanks Gerald for updating the plugin! Nice to see it's actively being used and updated :)

Greetings,
    Ed.

19. KAMPFBIBER81

KAMPFBIBER81 Registered

works like a charm on x64! Thx guys.

Is there a chance to get rid of that "/w" in front of the server messages?

20. Gerald Jacobson

Gerald Jacobson Registered

Don't think so. It is the whisper command allowing to send a message to a specific driver.