Lets get AMD over here in this forum

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bart S, Mar 9, 2012.

1. Bart S

Bart S Member

I think us AMD/ATI guys are seriously lagging behind in performance next to nVidia and there shouldnt be much between the two.
    If anything AMD should be ahead right now.

My question to ISI how good is the corespondance between AMD/ATI and ISI ? do you guys talk to make a better product?
    What is AMD/ATIs response to the lack of performance seems like the DX9 platform is becoming obsolete for optimisation efforts.
    Can we atleast get a reply "no they wont be optimising drivers for rfactor in the future" or "yes we are working hard at it right now and frame rates can be expected to be much higher".
    Can you confirm that AMD/ATI are looking into resolving the issues with rFactor any time soon?

How high does AMD/ATI rank rFactor as an optimization priority.

ISI do you think its something with your programming that works in favour for one and not the other surely you should know what is by now.
    Personally I think it is an AMD issue to resolve.

Secondly if all these questions could be answered sooner rather than later I want to make a final decision start April by knowing where to spend my upgrade investment £££.

2. Bty

Bty Registered

You are talking about GPU I assume.

I might sound as a troll now.

My previous 2 cards were ATI (AMD now) and 2 months ago I had enough with their drivers and bought an Nvidia card. It's not ISI fault, AMD is lagging behind in the drivers department in several games now.

Nvidia is not perfect, but compered to ATI they are doing a better job.

3. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Sounds to me like most of your questions are to AMD, and are therefore on the wrong forum. :)

We would welcome a more open dialogue with them, but stuff like that never really happens in public view.

4. Nizmo

Nizmo Registered

You asked for a reply, here ya go. "no they wont be optimising drivers for rfactor in the future"

Lesson learned. I've literally been hearing the same story re: AMD for the last ten years or whatever. When they come out with the new driver(s), they're gonna kill nVidia. Yeah right.

5. 88mphTim

Well to be perfectly honest, I use AMD, and I switched due to my nV drivers crashing. Before that, I switched from ATI because of driver problems. :) I've had issues with both, and that's essentially the reason why I have changed brands every time I have done, all the way back to my 3DFX cards.

6. Gary Corby

Gary Corby Registered

Hi Bart, many years ago, back when I was a Microsofty, I was in a meeting where we were working over the feature list for a new release of MS Project. Someone suggested a small but interesting new feature. The product manager thought about it, then said, "Sure, we can do that. How many more units will it sell, just to the nearest 10,000?"

To manage ultra-popular products requires a mindset where mind-boggling numbers are par for the course. I have no doubt that somewhere inside AMD there's a product manager who's said, "Sure, we can help optimise rFactor 2. How many more graphics cards will it sell, just to the nearest 10,000?"

If the answer rounds out to zero, then that's approximately how much interest you'll get. AMD will (correctly) concentrate their resources on generic speed-ups, while providing as much information and sample code as possible to show developers how to optimise for their cards.

7. SHook

SHook Registered

I wonder whats going wrong with AMD/ATI ?I've got 30 games on my hd and no probs with them.Old games,new games,indiy games,special games - no probs.

8. [NAR]Steve

[NAR]Steve Registered

I am using an AMD processor and video card, and it runs RF2 just fine. There has to be something besides JUST the cards causing these problems...maybe some kind of conflict with other software or something.

9. taufikp

taufikp Registered

My CPU is an AMD Athlon II X4 635, and my GPU is an AMD/ATI HD 5770. Stuttering? Yes. But not as much as some other users reported, mine is only at beginning of the race, usually in turn one, and even then, the stutter is happening for a very short time, barely affecting the race.

IMO, another optimization that can be done by ISI, is removing the track/road reflection from the inner side of car body parts. I found this by accident, when playing around with free moving cams (activated by Ctrl+U). When I took a closer look at the engine detail (moving the camera closer), I saw track reflection on the inner side of the engine cover (it's an F3 car I think). This part for most of the time will not be seen directly, so removing reflection from this body part should help improving the FPS a bit. Maybe this can be fixed quickly by applying non reflecting texture for inner side/less visible part of the particular car body?

10. Bryan Birtwell

Bryan Birtwell Registered

I run a computer shop... This problem I see all the time. Here's a typical conversation with a 'gaming customer'.

"Hey, I bought this video card from you and my games still don't run good... someone told me it's because you sold me an ATi card."

If they had purchased an nV card, I'd be hearing the exact same thing...

I usually find out that they stuffed it (the video card) into a budget priced machine, never designed to used as a gaming machine... or, they have a half way decent computer that is in bad need of being wiped clean and re-install windows.

Then there's the guy/gal that purchases a mid end card and thinks that he/she should be able to max out all the game settings... Well, if all video cards could run games set at their highest level of eye-candy, why would anyone buy the monster gaming cards? If you have a mid end card.... use medium and low graphics settings... If you like all the eye-candy and still want great frame rates, purchase a $500.00+ video card, plug it into a computer designed for gaming, and let her rip!

BTW, unless I'm in the pits I get frame rates averaging 84fps around Spa with 25 AI cars out there with me. My machine is all AMD and ATi.

Bottom line is your computer will only be as fast as the slowest component... And yes, you can have a computer that will run some games/sims better than others and not have it be the problem game's/sim's fault or the fault of said video card's manufacturer.

I'd at least try a fresh instal of Windows and the latest drivers for everything before pointing fingers at anyone. And your computer will thank you as well, and show it's appreciation by running everything better/faster.

Just my $.02, hope it helps someone.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  11. Bart S

Bart S Member

I dont know what the problem is seams like nobody else does either. I dont know if i expect too much but the equivelent nvidia card smashes mine to piece on fps im talking 20-30 frames and i have taken into account the fact i run eyefinity.old rfactor i had 80+ fps full eyefinity and super sampling, shadows everything nearly max. Now i am at half that with lesser settings.
    Did a complete amd ati driver sweep tonight an now i screwed my system up. Keep getting a nsis error. Im pc pro savy but this i am struggling to fix, cant download run anything seams like all my driver signing has gone. Maybe time for fresh install after some hours of backing up.

12. Bryan Birtwell

Bryan Birtwell Registered

Bart, You'll be better off in the long run if you back up stuff and reinstall everything... but to get you where you can download stuff, have you tried a "windows system restore" and let it undo all the "repairs" you've done?

EDIT: I just looked at your specs. There is no reason your machine shouldn't run this sim reasonably well if you don't expect to be able to set everything to "Full" or "High" in rFactor 2, at least while it is still in the beta stage.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2012
  13. Bart S

Bart S Member

Im pretty PC pro, an I never ever needed a backup in my life, I am a programmer and work under the bonnet rather than polishing the bodywork, anyway I fixed my problem without a massive reinstall etc. I don't even have system restore turned on I'm that confident with what I am doing. Anyway heres latest, I completely wipped every trace and reference to AMD/ATI from pc including the entire registry then installed new ATI 12.2/3. Initall thoughts I did a quick video test on a super high bit rate and wow silky smooth and fast this was pretty jumpy/choppy before, just performing a full system scan to try and find if it was a virus of sort eating my driver signing software, that was weird but it only occured after I messed with registry so probably my fault.

Hold tite guys I'm going to see if its anything to do with installing new AMD/ATI drivers over old ones even with a remove old install new I have a feeling AMD arnt clearing out the old stuff properly with there software hence packing old crap in with a new install, this could infact be the cause of the lack of performance and influence the fps alot just as I've seen from a quick video test.

Report back later with my findings.

Hey Tim I notice you use a 5870, are you using eyefinity also. What are your settings vs fps on Spa F1.

I'd also like to know what the boys at ISI are running hardware wise especially triple screen users and there FPS if possible.

14. 88mphTim

I'm pretty sure nobody ever needed a backup until they needed a backup. What has this got to do with gaming performance or even your knowledge? Any PC Pro should know that there are plenty of things that can go wrong that you have no control over at all, and some of those would result in your losing data without a backup. I personally have almost 900GB on Carbonite backup and Blu-ray data backup, most of that is photos and home movies in digital format. There is no way I am going to risk the upset of losing that.

Here's some reading for you on hard drives. The data came from Google, and the moral is that pretty much anything can fail: Old, new, low tech, hi tech.
    http://static.googleusercontent.com...ch.google.com/en/us/archive/disk_failures.pdf

15. Kristoff Rand

Kristoff Rand Registered

Bart I see you're running 3 screens... are the LED or LCD? and how big are they? I went from 3 LCDs to 3 LEDs and took a big hit on fps.

16. Kristoff Rand

Kristoff Rand Registered

I just lost 15 years of architecture work about 2 months ago... get a backup system going and keep it updated. do it for me man... do it for me. I'm gonna go cry now that I've been reminded.

17. 88mphTim

Next time I revert to build 60 I'll try to remember to grab my FPS info.

18. 88mphTim

Ugh! I've only ever had one harddrive issue, that was 10+ years ago, but the horror stories about total loss are something I hope to never be a part of. I mean, not having a backup took down the biggest sim racing forum there ever was (RSC)... Even though at that point RSC wasn't my site, it HURT to see it die... Backups are vital.

19. Bart S

Bart S Member

Ok I am pretty cocky with my no need backup confidence.
    Kristoff Rand my screens are 3 x 24in BenQ G2420HDBL LED
    Still scanning new norton 360 v6 has found 37 issues so far apparently. Still waiting.
    Tim do you use 3 screens? I would like to set mine up like yours for performance comparision

20. Kristoff Rand

Kristoff Rand Registered

I remember that... that's why I print tutorials that I fund useful in to a pdf format and keep a copy. I was heartbroken when that forum went down... so much great information there.

I actually had an online back up but had just moved my website and thought "hey I don't need recreate that backup so soon... I got time." then bam.

always back it up...