Sounds

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by rVeloce, Mar 9, 2012.

1. rVeloce

rVeloce Registered

what I want to hear

2. PLAYLIFE

PLAYLIFE Registered

+1,000,000

When someone first goes to a racing circuit, the biggest thing they are blown away by is the sound. Even myself, after attending more than 30 F1 races, I am still flabbergasted by how loud and aggressive they are.

It is still the biggest single element missing from most sims in my view.

3. thndr

thndr Registered

Yep without a doubt it was the single biggest thing that had me hooked on motorsport when i was a kid, and its what keeps me coming back for more every new season. :eek:

4. Fergy

Fergy Registered

great sounds, love it. Seems to be more enfissis on background sounds like annoying Air Horns and so on as you can hear them clearly over the top of an engine. Early days rf2.

5. thndr

thndr Registered

6. Rtsrcool

Rtsrcool Registered

7. Rtsrcool

Rtsrcool Registered

8. Satangoss

Satangoss Registered

Some points which is often neglected: true sounds dissipation distances and wind effects. Distant car's sounds must have the sound "waved" by the wind and not only be lowered their volume. Exhaust blowns should be louder and much more agressive than they currently are. Doppler effects is already very well simulated since RF1.

9. D!2T

D!2T Registered

Sort of off the topic but Battlefield 3s sound and Doppler effect quality is probably the best example of sound engineering I've heard in a video game.. It still amazes me each time I fire it up how good it is.

10. Ricknau

Ricknau Registered

Maybe not totally relevant to rF2 but since we're reveling in favorite racing sounds let me inject this. This modern F1 sound made an impression I will never forget. By lap 2 I had to resort to earplugs, something I normally never do. If you have your PC connected to a high power sound system turn it all the way up!

http://vimeo.com/16641690

pw = monza

11. bastins

bastins Registered

I agree. DICE did a great job with Battlefield 3's sound. Every once in a while I'll get a break in the action, and start paying attention to all the noise... like you say, it never ceases to amaze.

12. PLAYLIFE

PLAYLIFE Registered

13. Jameswesty

Jameswesty Registered

I think Rf2 sounds are probably the most disappointing aspect of the game , if the sounds were better it would really help with immersion and the sense of the forces involved with driving a car. In some ways I would put sound quality at a higher priority than graphics when it comes to pure immersion.

Granted the Tire skid sounds are fine and very functional but the car engine noises are REALLY BAD , Top quality sounds would add so much to RF2 , I cannot even play the game with my headphones as I can pick up horrible digital noise from the pore quality of some of the recordings.

The Formula Renault 3.5 almost sounds like an electric car with a tiny motorbike engine strapped on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=la70RmBCZ0k&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKWveqkL6p0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KHv0KP3_NU&feature=related

I think the game Might need more sound channels for engine noises so you get really tight sharp engine tones ( with an almost metallic tint ) on top of deep rumbles and then sharp splutters from the exsut as well as deep base splutters , then a sperate channel for the transmition and general whiny sounds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FM77vi0yMVM&feature=player_embedded#!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bLfBR-nPfk

The way I understand it works at the moment is simply by bleeding given sounds together whilst applying some pitch blending to them.

Maybe ISI don't have a dedicated sound guy ? I think you really need someone that can go out for each car or each type of car and capture the sounds in very specific controlled conditions. Its also the sort of thing modders don't really have the ability to do well due to the cost and practicality of going to a track.

From what I remember the best sounds in RF1 came from people that took sounds from on-board videos which although works to some extent has real issues in quality with lots of distortion but in some ways beats the dull muted sounds of the cars in RF2 at the moment.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 17, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  14. fastfezzer

fastfezzer Registered

That first video sent shivers down my spine. We can only hope that we get sounds similar to those.

15. D!2T

D!2T Registered

I thought this was just me or something with sound settings conflicting but I notice this too when use headphones and at a loud volume. Especially on the server menu & car select screens (the pitch seems to change slightly between the two but is definitely there). I suppose the best way to describe it is like the white noise sound that old televisions make when on the way out, like a mid range hum distortion sound (hard to describe)... I'm sure dogs despise it though.

16. rVeloce

rVeloce Registered

they should hire this guy. !

17. Jameswesty

Jameswesty Registered

Nice !!

not perfect but FAR FAR better than what we have in most games.