Where are you up to

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bristow, Mar 6, 2012.

1. BasJon

BasJon Registered

Well I would like to add from reading this post, firstly one of the reasons not many people are playing rF2 beta is mainly to have to
    pay in advance, not really common practice in the gaming world. As for the one who said about paying for bf3 beta and alpha thats total rubbish I played both alpha and beta for free as I have been loyal and bought there other games in the past. So yes I have already paid my lifetime membership for this game was that right I should have to pay in advance to get my hands on a beta of course its wrong, basically all proven owners of rF1 should of been given beta keys that would of expired a week or month before the game was to be released. Its like saying hey there is a new program out for testing if you would like to try it you must pay in full upfront and yes we may release the product in a month or maybe a year. The main reason for my adding my 2 cents was I bought rF1 day of release played it for far too long, then the magic beta of rF2 arrives, things seemed pretty good to start with, then the dreaded 0.60 patch arrives now the game is not enjoyable to play anymore, for me and quite a few others due to stutters, which is really annoying on a top spec machine. So for me I will just have to be patient and wait for the full release.

2. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

We realize it is not usual, but we didn't want to test two systems, a free one which we'll never use again (demo won't use hardle any of the commerce system) and a paid one we will. It is important to remember that with rF1 we had a company (TryMedia) doing for us what we now do all by ourselves. Not testing that now would have been a huge mistake. Remember the purchase issues people had when we first released the beta? Some still have issues now, and those issues WOULD have existed after the beta had we not tested them as we are doing. :)

Not many games in the industry handle their own commerce.

3. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Back ontopic; it IS a bit strange that someone is posting very negative about the game, solely based on "jumped on conclusions" with are based on assumptions and "hear say"..........

Can't expect people to not say something back then, right?

4. BasJon

BasJon Registered

I know Tim you guys are doing a good job, after all Im still here and not asked for a refund I know you will get it right, sorry for going off topic and being a whiner, just a little off at the moment.

5. Dave Millard

Dave Millard Registered

Spend the money.... if your kids need to eat, and your wife needs to pay the bills...eat beans and weeenies for a couple weeks, add a little hot sauce and turn off the house heat
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. PLAYLIFE

PLAYLIFE Registered

If people actually read what was posted by Bristow properly it would help. And those who claim troll are trolling themselves.

Bristow:
    These are raw facts of the current state.

Some shortcomings of rF1, hoping they will be improved for rF2. Hoping that focus will be on physics.

Some info on CARS with feedback from a real river.

Wants to know what the current status of the physics side of things are, including documentation.

Pretty simple question with nothing untoward about it. I almost think people are so bored and frequent this forum too much that they are looking to argue.

7. ORA-Oldie

ORA-Oldie Registered

Dave.. that's classic man. Perfect timing for a good giggle mate, thanks

8. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

9. Bristow

Bristow Registered

Wow, 47 posts in a bit under 2 days. Now I know what the people on this forum do with their spare time...

Back in the old RSC days the Off-Topic Police were much more obvious, so thanks to blazko back in #31 and especially to PLAYLIFE two posts back for respecting my original post. And a special appreciation for Dave Millard for cutting to the essence of the matter. I do like seeing the discussion sauced up, as long as that does not lead to too many snags.

And 'Hello' to TP and thanks for the support.

However, 2 days is not long. Maybe some guidance will be coming later.

10. McLowry

McLowry Registered

Hi Bristow
    Glad to see your still with us.
    For those who don't know who he is and what he contributed to rf1 then you can start with reading the most exhaustive tutorial ever written on rF1. He gave most of us a working understanding of rF1 files an the ability to modify them. It would be wise of some of you to talk little and listen .
    Any contribution made by you ( Bristow ) will be appreciated

11. Grotesk

Grotesk Registered

haha dave you understand the meaning of life ;)

12. mikeyk1985

mikeyk1985 Registered

The OP lost a bit of respect from me when he mentioned Ben collins, just because he was on a popular car show doesn't make him the God of driving sims.

13. Kristoff Rand

Kristoff Rand Registered

You didn't play BF3 Alpha or Beta for Free... You paid 65$ in advance before you could play like the other 12 million people on the planet. either that or your daddy works at EA.

p.s. 12,000,000 x $65= $780,000,000.00

14. Kristoff Rand

Kristoff Rand Registered

Dave... You're making me hungry.

15. Bristow

Bristow Registered

Not the God of driving sims - well I did not say that at any rate so please avoid implying that I did. Collins does have standing as a person who can drive a car at racing speeds and he does write constructive critiques about how that sim behaves in the context of real car behaviour. I have not managed to find posts about that topic from such a person for rF2. They may exist and I do not know the standing of the writer for any number of reasons. It may be too early.

16. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

I'm going to phone my weather man and complain. It's 30C in south florida and here it is only -13C. I demand to know why it can't be 30C here just like it is in south florida.

17. PLAYLIFE

PLAYLIFE Registered

I generally like your posts and you seem well grounded. For whatever reason the buzz words 'Tom Collins' got you imagining things that were never said.

I've never spoken to Bristow on forums but have seen his work with rFactor.

Half the reason why you enjoyed rFactor was probably due to Bristow's work in allowing modders to improve the game (that is, understand what parameters do to make the car behave more realistically).

So if anyone deserves respect around here, it's guys like Bristow who have made rFactor so modding friendly through producing tools and interpreting physics files for non-technical minded people. And he's done this work over quite a number of years.

If anything, Bristow deserves the MOST respect on these forums for what he has given our rFactor community over the past half decade or more.

Perhaps you all should google 'Bristow', 'rFactor' and 'physics'.

18. freew67

freew67 Registered

I would agree its to early.

As for Playlife's post, Im sorry but the name Bristow doesnt ring a bell for me. Ive been around RF1 since day 1 with my first track released I think mid 2006. Bristow, curious if you have seen this page... http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/1573 We have more official tuts now then for all of RF1. Since not everything is finished, I can understand why theres not tutorials on some things. I have done over 10 track tutorials and completely understand it takes time to make them. I would rather have ISI spend more time on RF2 then making sure we have proper documentation (cough cough for now cough cough). While I agree it would be great to have but we managed to do great things with very little in RF1.

19. lordpantsington

lordpantsington Registered

Wow, not knowing Bristow, really? If you've ever come across a physics based forum topic "The *** and its role..." Those are his works. (For which I would like to say a huge THANKS!) Still so many things left in the mist, but they've been very helpful. BTW the missing [FRONTLEFT] section of the HDV document can be found here:

http://www.bozracing.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=79&t=1265&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

OP is a valid question, one that will determine which sim modding groups dedicate their resources. As I see it, is about what should we expect from rf2. So far it is obvious we got better graphics, weather, a new tire model, animations. Aside from the tires, what else is being entertained?

I hope all aspects of physics get the attention that the tire model has gotten.

Testing takes forever to figure how things work. Far easier to ask directly or be provided with an explanation prior.

I've tried to ask physics based questions in the past. I was mostly met with the sound of silence. Seems to be few who dig down deep enough to understand the question, and fewer still that understand enough to answer. I believe those responsible for the rf2 beta content do not have enough free time to frequent the forum, which means the physics explanations/tutorials are also on hold. Or at least that is the reason I keep in my head so as to not get frustrated by the lack of any real physics information.

20. taufikp

taufikp Registered

I think what really lacking in documentation is the physics stuff (not to mention the AI related physics stuff). The 3D model creation aspects were quite well documented in rF1 and still does in rF2.

Still remember how Niels, TechAde, Kangaloosh, and Bristow, all put very long posts (and discussions), dissecting .HDV, .PM, etc etc, in RSC forums :D. Even took their time to create "mod tools" to simplify the physic creation process of rF1. For example CarFactory by Kangaloosh, is truly awesome. :D

Tire Maker from Niels also awesome. His work (with Some1 aka Siim Annuk) on Corvette tire model is the result of his tire maker tool.

ps.
    By the way, how was the death of RSC? Can't remember it very clearly now, and is the current owner still SimBin?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 8, 2012