Did a complete re-install & doubled FPS

Discussion in 'Technical Archives' started by MS7XWDC, Mar 3, 2012.

1. MS7XWDC

MS7XWDC Registered

just a thought, but worked for me.

started completely over.

original build, then update.
    new player files

[did keep controller file, though]

would also HIGHLY recommend Windows x64 bit version over 32 bit version

2. Ricknau

Ricknau Registered

From what to what? How many AI visible? Which car and track? What kind of PC HW and drivers?

3. THracing

THracing Registered

AFAIK RF2 is 32 bit only... OK, you mean more available ram, which is correct

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 3, 2012
  4. MarcG

MarcG Registered

if you messed with the original install then a complete re-install would'nt hurt, if not then simply starting with a fresh PLR file will do the trick for most people.

5. MS7XWDC

MS7XWDC Registered

uninstalled rf2. reinstalled rf2, updated to build 60, created new player files
    23 AI drivers now get 70 FPS from 25 on start grid, 115+ FPS elsewhere

F1 2012 beta Sepang

-------------------------------

if you have a choice, use Windows 7 64 bit installation - makes a huge difference

6. SimonV6

SimonV6 Registered

is that with everything on max? and what res you running?

7. MS7XWDC

MS7XWDC Registered

that's not the point, guys .... i'm actually able to run everything higher, and still get the higher FPS

8. SimonV6

SimonV6 Registered

well it is the piont to me as i want to see what details and res you have to see if i should be gettingm ore fps, and whether a re install is worth here?

so again, what res and details are set in game please?

9. BobDobbs

BobDobbs Registered

Exactly. If we can't duplicate the settings, there's no way to know whether one of the particular settings makes a difference - like shadows, HDR, sun occlusion, FFB details, etc. Or whether the exact circumstances even apply to one's own installation.

For example, I run 1680x1050x32 and had all my settings at max with no PLR file mods before the update; installing build 60 cut FPS by half with no changes to the settings. Then I created a new PLR file, and it changed nothing. Based on this, I'm willing to try a complete re-install, but I don't expect it to behave any differently.

10. GauchoRS

GauchoRS Registered

reinstalled the game and updated to build 60 yesterday, increased fps significantly for me.
    Win7 64 bit Ultra
    4 GB DDR3 RAM
    Intel E8400 Dual Core, not overclocked
    ATI HD 6850 1 GB
    19" widescreen, 1440x900 native

after installation, rF2 puts the details of track, own car, opponent .... to medium/low. Road reflection and wind/people move to OFF. So FPS is better than my old installation, BUT ONLY

IF I use several times the RESET FFB Key (assigned in controler menu) FPS is boosted. After 2 or 3 times pressed, the fps jumped from 30-40 to a value above 60 (at start with Megane in Mills Inner Loop with 10 AIs) - evem with mirrors ON and 16 cars visible.

If I increase track details to FULL (to get pitlane populated), other details to High, Shadows to High, initial frame rate is stil 30-40 and after some RESET FFB key pressings it its pushed as well to 60 ....

WHATS that? Any ideas how to explain this phenomen?

p.s. I am using G27 with default controller ini.
    I noticed that editing the controller ini to put Steering torque filter=6 (instead of 0) does not work. the value is reseted after exiting the game.
    Userdata files are in the same directory as rfactor2

11. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

12. MS7XWDC

MS7XWDC Registered

of course i used the same video / res settings do do this test guys

13. THracing

THracing Registered

I just had a go with the rTrainers at the wonderful Snetterton track. 19 ai & me :). Mind you, the rTrainers are a blast to drive. They really show the potential of the physics engine and it's so cool to do the scandinavian flick & go sideways thru the turns in full control :cool:

I also used openhardwaremonitor to check out cpu & gpu usage. The total cpu utilization on all six cores reported an average load of 33,1%. The gpu utilization however reported a load of 99% with my 580. Could that be a reason for the sometimes shaky performance?

I also tested with & without HDR but it didn't make any difference...

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 7, 2012